Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 03-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
billyboyf

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Convertible
5th Bow Breaking

I'm sure this is the $64,000 question but what is causing the 5th bow to break? I think that if you follow the SUX's fix for rubmarks you can practically eliminate them. Now with warm weather we will be driving topless and I don't want to break my 5th bow. Are there any preventative measures?
billyboyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
bulllett

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Heh heh, yup that IS the question. Nobody really knows for sure (especially GM). One thing for sure is that its not something you are doing. You just have to hope that you are not one of "the chosen" who are stuck with the problem.

Gm supoosedly has fixed the problem with a redesign for the upcoming year. But that has yet to be seen. Simply lip service until proven true.

So go right ahead and enjoy your ups and downs. Because at this point, you either got the disease or you don't. Won't matter what you do.
bulllett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
I will be one of the first to get a car with the new fixes in. You can bet when I take delivery in about 4 weeks I am going over it with a fine tooth comb. Pics to follow
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:08 AM   #4
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
So has anyone who has NOT had the top replaced had the 5th bow break?
Old 03-16-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
spikess581

Drives: IOM2SSconvertible,64 malibu,04fxdwg
Yes my bow broke and they screwed up the top so it needed to be replaced then it broke 3 more times
spikess581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
billyboyf

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
I will be one of the first to get a car with the new fixes in. You can bet when I take delivery in about 4 weeks I am going over it with a fine tooth comb. Pics to follow
We will all be looking foward to seeing what changes and hoping the changes actually fix the problem. I'm afraid I'll be one of those who baby the car( and I do) to preserve it, and then it comes apart at 37 months or 36,001 miles.
billyboyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
It almost seems like there is a way to adjust the tension on the top from front to back possibly on each side, and when they adjust the tension to minimize the rub marks, sometimes they adjust it just a bit too much putting too much strain on the 5th bow, causing it to fail.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
IL-Tracker
That's why.........

Drives: Traded a 2011 2SS/RS A6 Blk Vert
Decided to have the top checked by another dealer today, one with a little more experience with verts. Anyway, was concerned for a few of reasons 1) top was not as tight as some of the pictures posted on this site, 2) there is a visible gap between the trunk lid and the top back seal, and 3) there is a little "play' in the 5th bow when pushed on. But was hesitant to do too much because the top absolutely does not leak and the rub marks are noticeable, but not horrible yet.
Anyway, the service guy took one look and said the bow was bent, shouldn't be like that and there were four other verts on the lot where the tops were tight and the back top seal was not even visible, and absolutely no gap.
Made an appointment to replace the 5th bow, under warranty, on April 2nd. They have done one other replacement and it was successful, so they are confident about my car.
Hope it goes well.
IL-Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
Sam I Am

Drives: 2011 Victory Red CV
My dealer echoed the words in the owner's manual that it was evidently put down when it was wet or too cold. They only replaced the bow or bows in my top and not the entire top as originally hoped for.
Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #10
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
COLD ??? WET ?? come on this is crazy, I have had many vert that I have put the top down in 40 degree weather and never had a problem. This included my 69 camaro vert which had the same top for almost 20 years.
I thought that the ECM wouldn't let you put the top down in when it was too cold ????
Old 03-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #11
spikess581

No Nutbut that is going to be one of the changes that it will refuse to go down. That still does not explain what happened to my car none of the times it broke was it freezing all 40's 50's even 60's on the last shot. Engineer gave me a confused look when I told him that!
Old 03-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
deryk
Cruisin the Golden State!

Drives: 2011 Victory Red Camaro Convertible
Ok so is a possible culprit as HDRDTD speculated, where the cable tension causes the bow to break? I'm taking my vert in next week to to address the wrinkling problem and I know cable tension adjustments are the solution to that. I just don't want fixed wrinkles coming at the cost of a broken 5th bow!

On a sidenote, I hate that even after show the service engineers the TSBs, they still give a confused look like they'll have to look into the problem and never heard of it before.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #13
spikess581

The cables do not go anywhere near the 5th bow. There is no adjustment they just re-route them up front. That takes care of the wind noise at the front window and may help pull the wrinkles above the front windows. If you have wrinkles in the back you already have a 5th bow problem.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #14
deryk
Cruisin the Golden State!

Drives: 2011 Victory Red Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikess581 View Post
The cables do not go anywhere near the 5th bow. There is no adjustment they just re-route them up front. That takes care of the wind noise at the front window and may help pull the wrinkles above the front windows. If you have wrinkles in the back you already have a 5th bow problem.
Good to know. The wrinkles I have are above both doors. They were not there when I got the car but as I drove with the top down over the next 1 1/2 weeks, I started to notice them.