Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-28-2015, 09:24 AM   #15
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
A buddy of mine's wife put a brick on the accelerator of his built L84 Vette back in the 80s. By the time he got to it, it was too late. She was pissed because he had been a bad boy.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:40 AM   #16
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Revving with no load can throw things out of whack... best to drop it into a gear as soon as the tach needle crosses the red part.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:41 AM   #17
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
I love giving it a few revs sitting at a light. It just sounds so good with axleback on the LS3. I didn't realize I could damage anything. I don't do it that often and usually just a few revs up to may be 2500 or so. That's all it needs to sound good.

J
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:13 AM   #18
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSChecky View Post
Ok so can revving your car in park actually damage anything? i revved it like 5 times today and kinda worried i might break something... lol
Yes something could break depending on what you are actually doing. Probably will not break unless you do it constantly. I have seen numerous video's on this site of people showing off their new exhaust by revving their engines in park. Moderation in all things.

I wonder what some of the replys would be if a person posted a thread similar to yours, like this.

Ok so can flooring the gas pedal from a dead stop and going down a 1/4 mile track actually damage anything? i did it like 5 times today and kinda worried i might break something... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
People have been reving cars in ...neutral and park for decades. There's nothing wrong with giving it a shot of throttle. Just use your common sense. It's not something you should be doing everyday.
^^^ Best reply to this thread.^^^
Old 10-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #19
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Mama always said a video full of wrongs don't make a right.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:09 AM   #20
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Just don't go revving it to redline all the time and you'll be fine.

Apparently nobody here launches cars or heel toes a car to match revs, that's free revving but nobody ever blows up a motor from it, unless of course you get the wrong gear and over rev it.

Just stay out of the upper most RPMs and don't worry about it. Launch control on the manuals holds the rpm at 4k with no load on the engine and I blip the throttle during downshifts on the track in the 5k range.

I think most of the guys here worry about nothing, lol. Somehow they think engines are these super fragile things that will explode if you look at them wrong.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #21
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
It's a stupid thing to do. People think you are a "Tool" not cool when you do it.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:00 PM   #22
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
The Original Owner of my House had a Wife with Alzheimers. She went out to the Garage, got in the car, started it, floored it til it blew up and caught the Garage on Fire!

They got a New Car & went for a Drive. He got out near an Orange Grove to take a Piss. She slid over to the Driver's Seat, locked the Door, Revved the Motor til it blew! When the State Trooper finally got there, he begged the Cop to shoot him as he couldn't take it anymore. They Baker Act'd him!

Moral of the Story, don't lose your mind and over-rev your motor just to hear the exhaust
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:35 PM   #23
masterj1109

Drives: 2010 Hennessey HPE 650 Camaro
masterj1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:06 PM   #24
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
Remember the cash for clunkers program? A lot of you tube videos of them blowing up those vehicles. Usually they would stay running at no load full throttle until they overheated and shut down.
Actually they poured in some mixture that would seize the engine once warm. Saw a video of it on YouTube and it was pretty sad to watch them essentially weld the motors together.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:33 PM   #25
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Every Harley owner on the planet must be replacing motors at alarming rates if revving a motor causes damage. That's a new one.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:54 PM   #26
TIREKLR

Drives: 2015 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillakilla13 View Post
Really dude? You have a SS, V8 and you don't understand why people rev that beast?
I have to agree with this ! Please no one take this personal but I am on a site dedicated to Camaros and the people who enjoy them and we are questioning why you would want to hear your engine rev???? I pull up on other muscle cars and clutch it and "pipe them down" every once in awhile, it's my way or saying Hi or flexing a little muscle and most will return the Rev and I get to hear how good there car sounds, and some shake there head and probably think to themselves what an ignorant hillbilly. Point is car guys/girls usually like to hear there Beast growl a little bit now and then, and like someone else said it's went on for decades. I wouldn't recommend sitting at the light and bounce off the Rev limiter though that may bring different results.
TIREKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:14 PM   #27
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIREKLR View Post
I have to agree with this ! Please no one take this personal but I am on a site dedicated to Camaros and the people who enjoy them and we are questioning why you would want to hear your engine rev???? I pull up on other muscle cars and clutch it and "pipe them down" every once in awhile, it's my way or saying Hi or flexing a little muscle and most will return the Rev and I get to hear how good there car sounds, and some shake there head and probably think to themselves what an ignorant hillbilly. Point is car guys/girls usually like to hear there Beast growl a little bit now and then, and like someone else said it's went on for decades. I wouldn't recommend sitting at the light and bounce off the Rev limiter though that may bring different results.
+1......I cant remember how many times people have yelled to me let's hear it"
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:18 PM   #28
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRS View Post
Never good to "over" rev an unloaded engine. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone does it anyway. Up to 2500 or so is ok I guess, if that's what floats one's boat.

My kids like to hear it. Puts a smile on their face every time.

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote