Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-14-2015, 06:46 PM   #1
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Drives: '17 Civic SI + '04 SVT Lightning
Oil leaking from these areas.... (LS3) Could this be the oil smell through the vents?

When I did my first oil change I noticed all around the oil filter was wet from oil. I cleaned everything up and drove the car for two weeks. Jacked it up today to check it and it was starting to get wet and oily again but since I cleaned it and caught it before it could get everything oily I could see more precisely where it was coming from (oil filter appeared dry and clean).

The dirtiest bolt from dirt sticking to the oil was a 10mm bolt on that thing that bolts to the oil pan right beside the oil filter (oil cooler?) Actually, both bolts where just lightly snug- I tightened them both tight as well as all the bolts on whatever that thing is (should of took a pic while I was under there, but there was like six larger bolts, maybe 16mm? I was able to easily snug most of them)

The next two spots that seemed to be getting wet from leaking oil is right at the back corners of the oil pan which is two 10mm bolts at each bottom corner of the oil pan right in front of the cross member of the frame. I tried backing one off a little to see what would happen and sure enough oil started to bleed out so I tightened it up along with the other one on the passenger side.

Is it normal for these areas to bleed a little oil and the bolts to be only barely snug? I mean, when I changed my oil a couple weeks ago even the cross beam of the frame was all oily and wet. Well every bolt in the area I tightened, not all where loose, but some I was able to easily turn tighter with a small ratchet, and I made sure that they where all tight and then shined my light in every crevice to make sure I didn't miss any other areas where oil might be leaking and everything above seemed clean and dry.

I'll drive it for a couple weeks and re-check. What are those two 10mm bolts on the back bottom corners of the oil pan for? Extra drains? They didn't seem to have a washer which I think was odd for something that seals in oil. And whatever that thing that's bolted to the side by the oil filter, the two 10mm bolts on that weren't that tight at all. Hopefully now that everything is tightened and cleaned that fixed the problem. Has there ever been history of oil leaking here and those bolts being the culprit?
Emig5m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:59 PM   #2
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
I would say any fluid leaking is not normal. Mine isn't leaking anything I could see when I had it up for doing the diff and tranny fluid. I'll be doing an oil change soon myself (first time on this car) so I'll keep an eye out for the areas you mention.

J
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:19 PM   #3
mainecobra

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS 6 speed
There is a recall with the oil cooler line fittings. This is a common issues and while driving the car with the wind it will blow back and seem like it's coming from somewhere else.
mainecobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:31 PM   #4
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainecobra View Post
There is a recall with the oil cooler line fittings. This is a common issues and while driving the car with the wind it will blow back and seem like it's coming from somewhere else.
What's the easiest way to find out if my car has had this recall done? Call any Chevy service department with my VIN?
Old 09-14-2015, 08:54 PM   #5
jdrop01

Drives: 05 GTO
I had to have my oil pan gasket removed and replaced also my oil cooler gasket and my rear main seal, talk about a mess. I have 3k miles and my crankshaft position sensor was leaking too which I fixed on my own this weekend because my dealer just wouldn't listen to me. Pretty much my problem covered the common oil leaking areas.
jdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:24 PM   #6
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainecobra View Post
There is a recall with the oil cooler line fittings.TAB is is a common issues and while driving the car with the wind it will blow back and seem like it's coming from somewhere else.
I thought it was a coolant leak from the oil cooler.....at least that was the TSB I had done.
OP, sounds like it might be a trip to the dealer time.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:24 PM   #7
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrop01 View Post
I had to have my oil pan gasket removed and replaced also my oil cooler gasket and my rear main seal, talk about a mess. I have 3k miles and my crankshaft position sensor was leaking too which I fixed on my own this weekend because my dealer just wouldn't listen to me. Pretty much my problem covered the common oil leaking areas.
You had the problem on a 2015 model? Well I've been reading through old threads, seems like my problem is definitely common. My 5yr/100k warranty is surely expired though. :( Hopefully tightening all the bolts helps... I'll keep an eye on it...
Old 09-14-2015, 09:34 PM   #8
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post
You had the problem on a 2015 model? Well I've been reading through old threads, seems like my problem is definitely common. My 5yr/100k warranty is surely expired though. :( Hopefully tightening all the bolts helps... I'll keep an eye on it...
I'd be surprised if it does, typically once the leak starts it won't stop until you take it apart, clean it up and put new gaskets in.

Maybe you'll get lucky though.

My 2010 so far hasn't developed any leaks.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:41 PM   #9
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
Had the oil cooler gasket replaced, then the oil pan gasket (get it done before your warranty is up....it's a big job).....so far no more leaks.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:53 PM   #10
jdrop01

Drives: 05 GTO
Quote:
Sure did brand new 2015.... Yea, I was not happy due to how many times I brought my vehicle back plus the fact they didn't do a alignment after dropping my subframe for the oil pan gasket it was a nightmare. I also told them about my sensor leaking and they ignored me so it continued to leak and I just fixed it myself. Nightmare is over and my car is aligned to JusticePete's advice and loving my car again.

As far as the leaks being common it definitely is with the LS3 on multiple platforms as I did a google search and it all popped up.

Last edited by jdrop01; 09-15-2015 at 02:50 AM.
jdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:53 PM   #11
mainecobra

Quote:
What's the easiest way to find out if my car has had this recall done? Call any Chevy service department with my VIN?
Yes thats one way. Another way is if its leaking from the cooler lines than one could assume it hasnt been done.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:59 PM   #12
mainecobra

After reading your post again i bet its the oil coller line fittings. Like i said its a common problem and my 2010 with 4k mileage when i had it needed to be fixed. Just bite the bullet and get it fixed its not a expensive job but get it done at a chevy dealership. Then hope your heater core down the road doesn't need to be replaced as this is another common issue on the 2010 ss. Its nuts to replace. Take out windshield, most of the entire dash.