Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-30-2016, 05:14 PM   #1
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Building a 2.3 Stroker

For current discussion and build stuff, jump to the following link:
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...475465&page=12

Stroker kits can be a controversial subject... Would a 2.3 be worth the hassle? Or would you want something bigger yet?

Obviously this will require custom parts. But the nice thing about a 2.3 would be that it would still have a nice rod/stroke ratio which should still be easy on parts... A greater displacement could be achieved with bore and sleaving the block, but that's a whole separate expense.

I'm guessing not many people will want to really tear this deep into their car, but I'm putting the feeler out there to see if there is interest for me to move forward? I could go about it a couple ways, one, make everything to utilize the stock pistons for a budget kit to keep the price down as you would just reuse your stock pisons, and two, I could offer a forged piston option for guys going all out.

Rough math tells me that you could gain appx 40hp by going to a 2.3, which would put you at about 315 crank hp. Going the stock piston route, would you like an extra 40hp for a ball park cost of under a grand in parts? Would you be willing to crack your engine open?

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 09-22-2017 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Change title.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:21 PM   #2
vaspen

Drives: 2017 l4 blue 6speed
how about a 2.5 ? and I take it the sleeves wont go a lot on these>?
vaspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:29 PM   #3
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspen View Post
how about a 2.5 ? and I take it the sleeves wont go a lot on these>?
Well if it's anything like the LS engines, I wouldn't even go more than about .010 over MAX... I don't know if the LTG can go more, but if it's anything like GM's other aluminum block engines, they don't leave more meat than what's required for a hone job and on some blocks that's even risky.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:44 PM   #4
vaspen

dam so we would have to re-sleeve just to go bigger?
my old 455 was .100 over lol out of .130-.150 max lol

any thoughts on balancing these motors further? I know mine Is probably in need of internally balancing as you can feel it shake at a idle a good bit suprisingly
Old 11-30-2016, 06:06 PM   #5
Ashium

Drives: Camaro 2.0t, 300zx TT, LSTT Mustang
IMO not worth it, at this time, Unless it's the only option for better internals down the road. Besides its effect on RPM, timing and so on. The limits of the stock turbo haven't yet been documented, so we can only guess it wouldn't be able to keep up with filling a bigger motor.

I can't quite come up with the wording for a response that won't be pages long.
Ashium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:10 PM   #6
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspen View Post
dam so we would have to re-sleeve just to go bigger?
my old 455 was .100 over lol out of .130-.150 max lol

any thoughts on balancing these motors further? I know mine Is probably in need of internally balancing as you can feel it shake at a idle a good bit suprisingly
Most likely. I know this was also the case on the LFX engine... Darton Sleeves makes a set of sleaves but they were about $1800 for just the sleeves. That was for 6, so figure 1200 for 4... Plus custom pistons... Not cheap. Stroke is the bang for your buck.

The problem with 2.5L while using the stock piston wrist pin location is that the rod/stroke ratio starts getting pretty poor because the rods are getting pretty short. Sure I could more the wrist pin up in the pistons to gain some rod length back, but then you'd be losing strength in the pistons because the ring lands would most likely need to be moved up, and that wouldn't be good for a boosted engine.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:59 PM   #7
turbojeep95

Drives: 17 Camaro lt, 22 Camaro LT1
That price for stroking a motor is pretty good. However, for 40hp I'd rather just plug in a tuner whenever they come out for ease and cost. I would like to see the torque curve for that engine and see if it gives some low end grunt.
turbojeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:11 PM   #8
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashiu View Post
Unless it's the only option for better internals down the road..

Off-the-shelf forged pistons and rods are already available for a stock LTG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2016, 04:37 AM   #9
rorymick

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 1LT 2.0L Turbo
I'd likely go forged rods and pistons in Stock size.

But it's always nice having a slightly larger bore and stroke forged kit available for when you've scorched or gouged your cylinder wall from a blown piston lol.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:10 AM   #10
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
So what are we talking about here then? Offset grinding the crank? Obviously this isn't going to be for the warranty conscious consumer, but the max effort people.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:28 PM   #11
dpelow07

Drives: ats
zzp has many options available by just changing the rod length and bore size from 86mm to a 88mm on the cobalts which equals out to changing the 2.0 to a 2.1 or a 2.4
dpelow07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:50 PM   #12
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
So what are we talking about here then? Offset grinding the crank? Obviously this isn't going to be for the warranty conscious consumer, but the max effort people.
Whole different forged crank and rods. No, it's not warranty friendly... But I'd venture to say that once it's installed and running, GM would never know without physically taking the engine apart. I would imagine transmissions, axles, etc would hold up just fine.

I just bought a spare LTG engine to take apart, so as soon as it shows up I'll have a better idea if it can actually be bored out enough to make it worth while... Well, it looks like I will be building at least one stroker...
Old 12-01-2016, 05:22 PM   #13
rorymick

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 1LT 2.0L Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
Whole different forged crank and rods. No, it's not warranty friendly... But I'd venture to say that once it's installed and running, GM would never know without physically taking the engine apart. I would imagine transmissions, axles, etc would hold up just fine.

I just bought a spare LTG engine to take apart, so as soon as it shows up I'll have a better idea if it can actually be bored out enough to make it worth while... Well, it looks like I will be building at least one stroker...
Hope your gonna work that cylinder head over a little while your at it! I wonder if we've got the clearance to shave the heads a bit and bump up the compression a bit? Valve to piston clearance is a touchy subject for vvt engines. Not sure of the LTG but it is with the newer LS engines with VVT.

I wonder if a vvt cam would be a good idea. I had a Texas speed and performance VVT1 cam in my 6.0L and it was designed to retard the cam at low rpm to increase low end power and would gradually advance timing events in the higher rpms for power up top. Neat use of VVT instead of just fuel savings.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:14 PM   #14
vaspen

Jason@jacfab
what do you do for a living ... I wana join lol