Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 02-01-2017, 03:23 PM   #29
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
I have to be the only one on this forum that thinks PDR from GM is terrible. The video output is of potato quality. I'd be really interested in the PDR kit with a 1080p or 4k camera. It can't cost that much more, even my smart phone camera from 4 years+ ago recorded in 1080.
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:46 PM   #30
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Its not the camera its what records it that's the limiting factor.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:21 PM   #31
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoent View Post
I have to be the only one on this forum that thinks PDR from GM is terrible. The video output is of potato quality. I'd be really interested in the PDR kit with a 1080p or 4k camera. It can't cost that much more, even my smart phone camera from 4 years+ ago recorded in 1080.
You don't get PDR. Its a Performance Data Recorder. Not a GoPro. The video isn't for theatrical use its merely for visual reference when looking over the data after a run. If all you want is youtube footage get a nice camera.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:38 PM   #32
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
You don't get PDR. Its a Performance Data Recorder. Not a GoPro. The video isn't for theatrical use its merely for visual reference when looking over the data after a run. If all you want is youtube footage get a nice camera.
Cameras and other stand alone units can talk to GoPro and give you all of the info (and more) than the OEM PDR can. And honestly, no offense, but I think that the video is used by most for more than just theatrical reasons. I for one love to look at it as both a teaching tool and because it's fun to look at!
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:26 AM   #33
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
Cameras and other stand alone units can talk to GoPro and give you all of the info (and more) than the OEM PDR can. And honestly, no offense, but I think that the video is used by most for more than just theatrical reasons. I for one love to look at it as both a teaching tool and because it's fun to look at!
Well as a teaching tool nothing is better than the PDR. It doesn't matter if the color is perfect or if the resolution is over 720p. You can still see the apex and if you missed it or not.

Find me a stand alone unit that will record all the same data as the PDR and then overlay it on a gopro video recording. I am almost certain that no data logger tracks what PTM mode the car is in and will show when that traction control was interfering. Most people are uneducated to the PDR’s capabilities beyond what they see on youtube recordings. I would argue that most don’t even know what the Cosworth Toolbox program is. Even if they do they never complain about the data recording capabilities they only complain about camera resolution which to me is the least important part of the data collection. As long as the video is usable nothing else matters. You don’t need to read the logos on the back of the car 50 ft ahead of you.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:35 PM   #34
BrandonBell

Drives: Hyper Blue Metalic gen 6
Any updates?
BrandonBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:34 AM   #35
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Having some parts C&C Made, no way to mount the camera to the glass with out this part and GM does not sale them.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:35 AM   #36
bubbajan21

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Well as a teaching tool nothing is better than the PDR. It doesn't matter if the color is perfect or if the resolution is over 720p. You can still see the apex and if you missed it or not.

Find me a stand alone unit that will record all the same data as the PDR and then overlay it on a gopro video recording. I am almost certain that no data logger tracks what PTM mode the car is in and will show when that traction control was interfering. Most people are uneducated to the PDR’s capabilities beyond what they see on youtube recordings. I would argue that most don’t even know what the Cosworth Toolbox program is. Even if they do they never complain about the data recording capabilities they only complain about camera resolution which to me is the least important part of the data collection. As long as the video is usable nothing else matters. You don’t need to read the logos on the back of the car 50 ft ahead of you.

Garmin Virb XE will record 1080p video with overlay of any obd2 data you want using a Bluetooth obd2 dongle.
bubbajan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:07 AM   #37
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbajan21 View Post
Garmin Virb XE will record 1080p video with overlay of any obd2 data you want using a Bluetooth obd2 dongle.
True. But the PDR datalogs more than what is sent over OBDII. You won't see tire pressures, tire temps, oil temps, etc.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:18 AM   #38
tecmec

There are certainly ways to gather all of the data over canbus with custom loggers (recording more than just standard OBD PIDs), but the thing about PDR that excites me is the Cosworth Toolbox. It's hard to find good tools like that. Racechrono is similar and quite good, but it's constrained to running on a small Android device.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
tecmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:36 AM   #39
JeromeS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecmec View Post
There are certainly ways to gather all of the data over canbus with custom loggers (recording more than just standard OBD PIDs), but the thing about PDR that excites me is the Cosworth Toolbox. It's hard to find good tools like that. Racechrono is similar and quite good, but it's constrained to running on a small Android device.

Do you have the information to be able to pull those additional pieces of information? I haven't been able to find the info...
Old 02-22-2017, 10:59 AM   #40
tecmec

Depends exactly what you're looking for. Work has been done to reverse engineer a lot of Canbus data on GM vehicles, but lots of what I'm interested in I still need to figure out. It's something I've been working on in my free time.

tecmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:16 AM   #41
JeromeS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecmec View Post
Depends exactly what you're looking for. Work has been done to reverse engineer a lot of Canbus data on GM vehicles, but lots of what I'm interested in I still need to figure out. It's something I've been working on in my free time.

I'm mainly curious about the oil temperature and oil pressure.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:33 PM   #42
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Bump!
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6th gen pdr., adding pdr, pdr