Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-26-2015, 02:11 PM   #1
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
I've always heard you shouldn't buy the first model year of a "new" car...

and considering that GM says such a large percentage did not carry over from the 5th Gen, it sounds like the 6th Gen is a new car, with the potential for "new car" kinks that need to get worked out.

Is this going to be a factor into purchasing for anyone here?

Perhaps wait until the 2017s?
Old 05-26-2015, 02:19 PM   #2
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Unfortunately, yes. My train of thought is very different from the average Camaro owner, though. I like to buy it second-hand when somebody else has footed the bill on depreciation and dealt with the first years' worth of mechanical gremlins. I also never buy the first model year after a major redesign. My game plan is to possibly grab a 2017 model year Camaro about a year after it's been on the road. I know that sounds nuts, but I'm still pretty happy with my 2011 anyway (which was also second-hand.) Not being in debt feels nice too, I guess.

Can somebody in the Raleigh, NC area order a hyper blue manual SS that's decked out with options in about a year? I will buy it from you later.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:21 PM   #3
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
There were some minor kinks in the 2010 Camaro but nothing serious or anything that required more than an hour or two at the dealer. Talk to most any first year 5th gen owner - their cars have been spot on reliable.

This is 2015 and we are almost into 2016. Lets say GM had the design for this car finalized 3 or even 4 years ago, so the 6th gen Camaro design was finalized in 2011. At the earliest, this car will have 2011 engineering, design, and production techniques and technology. Which also means it's one of the first GM cars to go completely from scratch as the new GM. There is a substantial amount of testing and certifying that engineers do at their computers through simulations that work out most of the bugs and flaws of modern cars before they even put the first IVER mule together.

Then these mules go through what amounts to hundreds of thousands of miles of rigorous testing, fine tuning, and adjustments in all climates and road conditions.

Truth is, all modern cars from all first world car companies have refined their engineering and pre-production design so well that there really isn't a "first year" trial period for customers like there was 20 years ago.

By the time the very first full production Camaro comes off the line the car has been tested and tested and tested, and then tested even more.

Don't forget, the chassis is a derivative of the Cadillac ATS coupe which has been in full production for well over a year now.

I would not let the fact this is a new Camaro bother you.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:30 PM   #4
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Not me - Engine is fully vetted (pun intended), so not too worried there. I think that design wise, it's fully tested, the issue will come down to quality control and plant issues. Someone tell me if i'm wrong, 6amaro being built alongside CTS and ATS...this is GM flagship so...take that for what its worth - I'm not concerned.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:38 PM   #5
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
I wouldn't worry about it. Any mechanical issues that may arise will be fixed under warranty, and if you start creeping into lemon territory, then you take that route or trade it for a newer one.

If the residual values are as high as they were for the 5th gen, then the depreciation factor won't have quite the impact that many hope. Used cars are selling for a lot more than they used to, and interest rates are higher for used cars (assuming you have to finance). Also, most used cars will have little to no warranty left. There are many instances where buying a new car is actually cheaper.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:40 PM   #6
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Part of what makes me a skeptic is that I am an engineer who deals with quality control issues after products have already shipped. My view is kind of skewed heavily to the belief that pretty much everything requires real-world, prolonged testing by the actual target market itself. Computers and simulations, both in software and real-world conditions, are obviously completely critical to ensure a smooth launch. But you would be freaked out if you knew what issues escape initial QA testing and remain unfixed for early adopters, silently getting revised on the assembly line later on. If all the issues were publicly documented, there would be a flood of refund and service requests. For example, there could be indications that a particular component deteriorates at a faster rate than expected, leading to problems years down the road. Things that are extremely hard to quantify and aren't incredibly obvious because they won't be immediate issues after purchase.

Not saying that this will amount to anything critical, but I am living by the "safe rather than sorry" model. Waiting one year isn't a huge deal, but from a product development standpoint, that's basically all the time needed to expose all the discovered issues.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:42 PM   #7
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
Part of what makes me a skeptic is that I am an engineer who deals with quality control issues after products have already shipped. My view is kind of skewed heavily to the belief that pretty much everything requires real-world, prolonged testing by the actual target market itself. Computers and simulations, both in software and real-world conditions, are obviously completely critical to ensure a smooth launch. But you would be freaked out if you knew what issues escape initial QA testing and remain unfixed for early adopters, silently getting revised on the assembly line later on. If all the issues were publicly documented, there would be a flood of refund and service requests.

Not saying that this will amount to anything critical, but I am living by the "safe rather than sorry" model. Waiting one year isn't a huge deal, but from a product development standpoint, that's basically all the time needed to expose all the discovered issues.
That's very interest insight and an understandable point of view. If I wait until the 2017 model year, I would just buy a Corvette and pass on the Camaro. We'll see what I think when I actually see the car in person. It would have to be really good to wait yet another year with cash in hand and not just go for the C7.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #8
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
If I was ready for the SS it wouldn't stop me from buying the first year model. I will be waiting for the 2017 ZL1 or Z28 Hi performance model or whatever they will call it.

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #9
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
I would not give it a second thought if I was ready to buy the car today, first model year or not.

I bought a 2014 Stingray and had absolutely zero issues with it. NONE. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 2016 Camaro in any respect if I was in the market for one of the models they will offer this fall.

I'm sure it will be a reliable car with solid performance, regardless which model you choose.

Buy it, drive it, and enjoy it! Life is way too short to worry about what may come tomorrow. Live each day as it comes.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:19 PM   #10
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Well I have probably bought over 35 new cars, some were first year models, mid cycle models and end of cycle models. While first year models seem to have teething issues, I have also found end of cycle models tend to have more than average issues too.
That being said I have had good and bad luck out of cars no matter where in their product cycle they fall.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:25 PM   #11
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I wouldn't be worried about anything major....except for maybe those considering the V6 (and unfortunately I am in that camp)

The LGX is all brand new...I think it is derived from the LFX...but there is a LOT of new in there that isn't out in consumer hands yet.

The rest of it...2.0T, LT1, the drivetrains for all configurations....they are all out there and being driven by hundreds of thousands of customers in some similar form or another.

The bugs we SHOULD expect will be the more minor stuff....the fit and finish, the interior quality, the technology that are unique to the new Camaro. But most of this stuff should be little things you may have make a trip to your local dealer a time or two to get replaced or tweaked.

I am totally accepting that:

1) All brand new models have some kinks in some form or another that get worked out (but again as stated above, drivetrain shouldn't be one of them, and that's the biggie in my opinion) and they will be corrected during the model year as time goes on.
2) The later you get a 2016 model, the less kinks it will probably have as compared to an early year 2016 model.

But I'm willing to make some trips to the dealer to fix the minor stuff as opposed to waiting months later to get my car.

Fingers crossed that I'm not wrong about the "biggie" stuff being good to go.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:44 PM   #12
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Buy a late production 2016 if you can't wait and are worried. I can't drive it in the winter here anyways.
The early 2010 had weak transmission output shafts. It wasn't a massive problem but a decent sized batch. My 14 Silverado also had a few issues/ recalls that I avoided and got a better deal buying a late 14.

Not saying the car will have a bunch of major problems initially but there are almost always a few.

Either way I won't be able to swing another car for a couple years :( . Gonna have to wait this time...
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:48 PM   #13
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Also do not buy a car assembled on a Monday or a Friday. Of course it takes 20 to 22 hours from start at paint to roll off at the end of Final Trim, soooo . . .

My belief is the early early adopters, those who place orders when the order banks open, will get the best quality product because assemblers are paying closer attention and inspectors are looking at everything until the pattern of what more often needs a fix emerges.

Yes, I meant to say early twice in the first line.

That said, I am going to try to hold out for a CTF, not just because of the extra inspections but also because I am attracted to the funny VIN they carry.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:04 PM   #14
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Thankfully we would be on the 3rd year of the LT-1, 2nd of the 8l90 and it being based off an existing chassis helps too.

There may be some more gremlins on year 1, but I think it will be fine. Year 2 will probably be better, if you can wait.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote