Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-09-2017, 03:04 PM   #29
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
I remember.

I was into building custom, lowered pickup trucks at the time and there was nothing in the car world that even tempted me. When I saw the Camaro unveiled, I told my co-workers, if they actually build that, I have to have one.
I'm on my second and both have been fantastic. Thanks, Scott.

I have been trying to find the video for a few years where the disciples were surprised by the new car at Milford (I think). Some were weeping. It seems to be locked away in an archive, or something. Do you know how we can view that again, Scott?
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:42 PM   #30
HyperV117

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
^^ Don't you love the concept sans the horrible B pillar? I discussed this with Scott a couple
of times as it totally changed the look and feel of the production 5th gen. Other than that
the final product was spot on. Sorry Scott, I know I'm beating a dead horse here.
Holy hell I just noticed that. That's the only real complaint I have about this car. I guess they needed the extra rigidity or extra safety?
Old 01-09-2017, 03:49 PM   #31
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperV117 View Post
Holy hell I just noticed that. That's the only real complaint I have about this car. I guess they needed the extra rigidity or extra safety?
Scott told me that Corporate told the engineers to add the B pillar, so GM could
get a 5 star crash rating for the new Camaro. It's such a major styling change.
Sad IMO.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:18 PM   #32
RaceFuel

Drives: A boring sedan
it's also fun to read old news stories and articles from the time to see how things changed...

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/che...ept-auto-shows

Quote:
Speculation about a possible platform centers on GM's rear-drive Zeta architecture that was shelved last year after being deemed too expensive.
Really now....
Old 01-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #33
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Glad it was brought back. Never thought I would own one but things worked out. Have had a lot of fun with it. It will definitely live on

Ryan B.
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:43 PM   #34
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
When I first saw them on the street, I thought, 'they forgot to finish the back.' Now I've owned two. So there's that...Guess I got over it!
Old 01-09-2017, 06:34 PM   #35
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Thanks for getting the sweetest ride ever back on the streets! They should build a statue of your likeness and put it in Hart plaza.
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:43 PM   #36
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Camaro View Post
Thanks for getting the sweetest ride ever back on the streets! They should build a statue of your likeness and put it in Hart plaza.
There are literally hundreds of people invovled in making this happen. Designers....engineers....new model groups that deal with all the headaches of making parts and machinery come together on the production line. Not to mention the associates that are counted on to ensure quality is maintained at product launch. Its a big team effort for sure.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #37
CruisingSpeed
The Stealth Bumblebee

Drives: Black 2013 2LS
Either I'm partial or biased to these cars because I drive one or there is simply no other modern car that has essentially been designed 11 years ago + and still looks better and more defined than most cars on the road. And the fact that the actual production body style is so similar to the concept is awesome!! When these cars first came out they were such a...piece into the future. Almost appeared as if it was some type of exotic sportscar.

Since the missing B pillar wasn't an option they could've left the steering wheel like the earlier gen 5's and update from there rather than the plain same old same styling.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:48 PM   #38
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
I was into building custom, lowered pickup trucks at the time and there was nothing in the car world that even tempted me. When I saw the Camaro unveiled, I told my co-workers, if they actually build that, I have to have one.
I'm on my second and both have been fantastic. Thanks, Scott.

I have been trying to find the video for a few years where the disciples were surprised by the new car at Milford (I think). Some were weeping. It seems to be locked away in an archive, or something. Do you know how we can view that again, Scott?
I don't know what happened to that video - but I can tell you that the disciples were stunned into silence - but we did have a few tears for sure! What a great time it's been to watch an icon come back to life and take the market by storm.
And thank ALL OF YOU for making it such a great car by buying them and loving them so much! Without you, we cannot be successful!
Old 01-09-2017, 07:52 PM   #39
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Camaro View Post
You're very kind, but the statue should be of someone like Al Oppenheiser, our Chief Engineer -- or a small group including Mark Reuss and Cheryl Pilcher and Tom Peters and a few others!!! I was simply a guy who wanted the car to come back (or never go away!) -- and I wouldn't shut up about it!
Old 01-09-2017, 08:12 PM   #40
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
I had a gen 1. After selling it years ago, thought I'd never see its equal -- until I saw the 5th gen. After that, it was all over and I bought one. Absolutely love it.. all the great nostalgia with modern tech... absolutely amazing... well done indeed...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:22 PM   #41
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfansince73 View Post
I still remember almost EVERYONE in the movie theater clapping in Transformers 1 when the "new" Bumblebee showed his face in that tunnel.

Still loving mine every time I drive it. Thanks for bringing it back!!
Boy, do I remember that scene, my jaw dropped for sure and my wife said stop drooling ;o)...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:52 PM   #42
94z28inok
Camaro- Life Member

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS/RS, 19 Tahoe
Send a message via Yahoo to 94z28inok
Hope to meet up with you sometime Scott, As you can tell I've been here a while. Life happened of course, but 3 weeks ago, I finally was able to buy mine. I've been here since the beginning though. Involved on many fbody sites, owned probably 10 or so fbodys over the years. 2nd, 3rd, 4th and now my 5th gen. Thank you Scott, and everyone else that made these cars our reality. Really brings back the excitement from my CZ28 days when everything started coming together for this car. Life is still happening, but I hope to become more involved with the sites again as work settles down some from the holiday projects. Now if the weather would cooperate where I could detail all the rides and get some good pictures....
91 Camaro RS 305 TBI 700R4
85 Corvette - TBD
05 Envoy 4.2 4x4
94z28inok is offline   Reply With Quote