Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 11-22-2015, 09:56 AM   #29
ssrs396

Drives: 68 vert 396 13 ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Great, another thread to argue price.

Right on.

Whis, you are right that the GT on base compared to base SS or Premium GT to 2SS is a significant cost difference, but that's not what this thread is about so please explain how you feel this is ridiculous?

The fact is, when similarly equipped in terms of performance and tech the price difference is negligible. The only argument on the Camaro is that it comes too equipped in a base model SS and perhaps even the 2SS

This! Just went to the Ford Dealer yesterday and a 16 Mustang GT is at $31478 with friends and neighbors pricing. I realize the Camaro is better but the fact you can get a V8 pony car for low 30s from Ford is hard to pass up for some people. Actually I looked up Cars.com and I am seeing $27000 Mustang Gt's. I realize these are sale priced but holy heckl.
ssrs396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:35 AM   #30
Ava

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs396 View Post
This! Just went to the Ford Dealer yesterday and a 16 Mustang GT is at $31478 with friends and neighbors pricing. I realize the Camaro is better but the fact you can get a V8 pony car for low 30s from Ford is hard to pass up for some people. Actually I looked up Cars.com and I am seeing $27000 Mustang Gt's. I realize these are sale priced but holy heckl.
I think a better price comparison exists between the Shelby GT350 has a base MSRP of $49k, and once you add the tech or track pack to get MRC the MSRP is more like $57k.

I know performance wise, the '16 Camaro SS is supposed to be compared to the '16 Mustang GT PP, but, IMO, it easily wins that comparison, and instead, should be compared to the GT350. The 0-60 times, 1/4 mi times, skid pad, braking, mpg, etc are all very similar for the '16 SS and the GT350, with the SS edging out the Shelby in a few of those categories.

I agree that the new mustang is a good value for a pony car, but its still a mustang. Lipstick on a pig is nice for some, but I rather drive a real performance machine. Camaro all the way!
Ava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:41 AM   #31
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Due to the #'s '16 Camaro SS is putting down... The actual competition becomes the gt350. Even the gt350 being 49k BASE is still 2k more expensive than my 2SS. Mustang had a head start in this comparisons till now... And Chevy did show what a true beast Camaro is over the Mustang. And they only released the "SS". No Z cars nor 1LE is announced and you KNOW something is coming... So... it's GG Ford, cya later.

I for one am very glad such competition exists though, because at the end of the day the CUSTOMER WINS. We get better and better cars for relatively the same price...
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:42 AM   #32
camaro1&6

Drives: 67camaro 69Nova C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava View Post
I don't care if they sold that stinkin' Rustang for $30,000...I'd still pay the extra $$$ to drive my Camaro!
I SECOND THAT
camaro1&6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #33
ssrs396

Drives: 68 vert 396 13 ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava View Post
I think a better price comparison exists between the Shelby GT350 has a base MSRP of $49k, and once you add the tech or track pack to get MRC the MSRP is more like $57k.

I know performance wise, the '16 Camaro SS is supposed to be compared to the '16 Mustang GT PP, but, IMO, it easily wins that comparison, and instead, should be compared to the GT350. The 0-60 times, 1/4 mi times, skid pad, braking, mpg, etc are all very similar for the '16 SS and the GT350, with the SS edging out the Shelby in a few of those categories.

I agree that the new mustang is a good value for a pony car, but its still a mustang. Lipstick on a pig is nice for some, but I rather drive a real performance machine. Camaro all the way!

You hit the nail on the head, the SS and the Shelby are more competitors, so that puts the SS in a more exclusive club, and that will have to be the decision buyers will have to make... SS or Shelby. When it comes to entry level V8 buyers the choice is high 20s or high 30s, that's my point. BTW I love the new Camaro.
ssrs396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:38 AM   #34
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs396 View Post
You hit the nail on the head, the SS and the Shelby are more competitors, so that puts the SS in a more exclusive club, and that will have to be the decision buyers will have to make... SS or Shelby. When it comes to entry level V8 buyers the choice is high 20s or high 30s, that's my point. BTW I love the new Camaro.
It's not high 20s to high 30s comparison. It's damn 4k dollars MSRP to MSRP and anyone in their right mind buying the v8 should go with PP.

Base GT is basically 33 and base SS is basically 37k.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:57 AM   #35
GMGP5X

Drives: 2011 2LT RS VR 2008 Silverado 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
It's not high 20s to high 30s comparison. It's damn 4k dollars MSRP to MSRP and anyone in their right mind buying the v8 should go with PP.

Base GT is basically 33 and base SS is basically 37k.
Maybe some people being in there right mind just do not like the mustang!
2LT RS VR / ARK DTS Cat back exhaust / Roto-Fab CAI / RPI stealth mud guards /Defender works billet chrome door sills/ DIY painted engine cover, trunk corners, and brake rotors / RX catch can / Team LLT badges. Team LLT
GMGP5X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:04 PM   #36
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
It went up but the difference between a 1ss auto 5th and a 1ss 6th gen is huge!!!! Remember the a auto 5th gen had a neutered engine compared to the manual cars. This isn't the case now. So yeah you may pay more but it offers alot more for the money.
Agreed. Value for the money is there, just pointing out that the entry price for the V8 has gone up quite a bit.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:21 PM   #37
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
35,795.. That's the MSRP of a 5th gen 1SS with an automatic. While cheaper than 2016 model, it definitely isn't 32-33.
Yeah, but I see them advertised for 32-33k plus all the incentive money, etc. The perception on pricing depends on what you compare it to. For example, I have a loaded 2013 2SS 1LE, NPP, NAV, sunroof. The car had an MSRP of right around 43k. But I paid 38.9k for it new. If I want to trade in for a Gen 6 and stay in the same budget, I would have to get a 1SS and give up the leather, NAV, sunroof, backup sensors, ZL1 wheels and tires, enhanced sound system, etc. since a 1SS with just NPP is gonna cost $38k with no incentives and little room to discount. If I look at a 2SS with similar options the car will be in the 47-48k range.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:22 PM   #38
ChefBorOzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMGP5X View Post
Maybe some people being in there right mind just do not like the mustang!
That's fine. I'm saying anyone going for the Mustang v8 should equip it with PP if they will do any aggressive driving. The upgrades are worth it. GT PP to a SS is a 1500 dollar difference. Whoopty doo.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:24 PM   #39
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Great, another thread to argue price.

Right on.

Whis, you are right that the GT on base compared to base SS or Premium GT to 2SS is a significant cost difference, but that's not what this thread is about so please explain how you feel this is ridiculous?

The fact is, when similarly equipped in terms of performance and tech the price difference is negligible. The only argument on the Camaro is that it comes too equipped in a base model SS and perhaps even the 2SS
It's a bait thread and the title needs to be edited. "but when you build both to what most get, there near identical" is really disingenuous to add when you're comparing the price of these cars, especially when you can't option out a lot of the trim requirements from the Camaro
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:27 PM   #40
ChefBorOzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
Yeah, but I see them advertised for 32-33k plus all the incentive money, etc. The perception on pricing depends on what you compare it to. For example, I have a loaded 2013 2SS 1LE, NPP, NAV, sunroof. The car had an MSRP of right around 43k. But I paid 38.9k for it new. If I want to trade in for a Gen 6 and stay in the same budget, I would have to get a 1SS and give up the leather, NAV, sunroof, backup sensors, ZL1 wheels and tires, enhanced sound system, etc. since a 1SS with just NPP is gonna cost $38k with no incentives and little room to discount. If I look at a 2SS with similar options the car will be in the 47-48k range.
Stop comparing cars with incentives to MSRP. All I see is a bunch of comparisons of deals you can get from a dealer to the MSRP of a new car. How is that fair from a pricing standpoint?

MSRP to MSRP is the only fair comparison. I know a guy who got 10k off of a 50k dollar bluetec E class. It's not fair for me to say that car is a way better price point than the competition due to the deal he got.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:36 PM   #41
Fireman_Quis

Drives: Camaro 5th gen
When you break the price down like the op it makes sense. It just sucks that in order to get a v8 with leather the price is so high. I did the builder on chevys website and the price was 39k for a 1ss with an automatic no bells like leather or black rims can be added. I understand the 16 camaro has better performance than the mustang but I think that will be over looked by most people. Im seeing mustang gt premiums with leather for 31k. I can't help but think that if a casual buyer (most likely doesn't track their vehicle) cross shops and just wants a v8 with leather, after they see low 30's for the mustang and 43,790 for the camaro w/auto they'll probably just pick the mustang regardless of performance. Both are fast cars at the end of the day.
Fireman_Quis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:38 PM   #42
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
The one thing that would put this argument on price to bed, but will likely never happen, would be some kind direct head to head between an SS and a base GT350. 37K too much for the base SS? Well how does it compare on and off the track to a base GT350. What if the SS is within spitting distance of the GT350 in the 0 - 60, 1/4 mile, and on a track comparison? Then what? Lots of people think comparing an SS to a GT350 on the track is laughable, but I beg to differ. GT350, as sweet as it is...is not the GT350R.

Is the SS overpriced if its performance is closer to a GT350 than that of a base GT?

Yeah, we've seen the 0 - 60, and 1/4, and a few other measured specs on the two, but we may never get a true comparison.

On the other hand, for those that just want the cheapest V8 pony car around...its Mustang GT all day currently. Comparing the deals you can find on a Mustang to that of MSRP on a Camaro is totally unfair, but even at MSRP vs. MSRP, the Mustang has the win on cheapest V8 power.