Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 10-18-2015, 05:30 PM   #1
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
Crazy cross-shopping?

What are you cross shopping the gen 6 with?

I'm feeling pretty weird about it because I'm cross shopping this car with a used Mercedes new model C400 or even C450 AMG used at $48 or $50 if I found one. I'm just looking for the most appealing car for the money which I'm calling 40-50k. For the record right now I'm leaning towards a 1SS auto NPP hopefully well under $40k.

mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:38 PM   #2
Memphis43

Drives: Chevy
Crazy cross-shopping?

Focus RS vs Camaro SS

Of course with the dealer markups I keep hearing about on other forums it seems as if the Camaro will be more in line with pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Memphis43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:04 PM   #3
Arrow signs

Drives: Chevy Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post
What are you cross shopping the gen 6 with?

I'm feeling pretty weird about it because I'm cross shopping this car with a used Mercedes new model C400 or even C450 AMG used at $48 or $50 if I found one. I'm just looking for the most appealing car for the money which I'm calling 40-50k. For the record right now I'm leaning towards a 1SS auto NPP hopefully well under $40k.

I test drove the C450 last weekend. It's is a very nice Luxury performance car. Yes it had HUD and was stickered @ 60K. The 450 is new 2016 so probably not much of a used market yet. Plenty of C400s out there for sale. Mercedes lease rates 57 % for the C450 are not very good. I think it's a nice car but didn't stir much excitement for me to lease at 57% $800+ or purchase $1K+ month.
Nothing wrong with cross shopping and taking a few test drives. The Camaro is the car that has me excited. Good or better then the luxury performance market and a loaded 2SS saves a lot of $$$$.
Arrow signs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:28 PM   #4
pilot996

Drives: vrod muscle
Not really cross shopping anything. I don't ever drive my POV as I ride my motorcycle to most things in town and my job provides me with a take home car so I have no reason to replace my very low mileage, 8 year old honda when the weather dictates. That said, I do want something more fun to drive with an upscale flair. I had high hopes for the new infiniti Q60 coupe but I don't like the design and it is wildly under powered. The m3/4 is over priced. You could argue the leather is better, and you'd be right, but I just can't justify the price. MB, for me is more luxury than performance and, like BMW, is just over priced for me. If I needed a car I'd sit in for two hours a day every day, I could justify it; but I don't so I cant.
I actually really like the looks of the Mustang exterior but think Chevy took the lead with the interior and, obviously, performance.
If I can work a decent deal, the 2SS is what I want.
pilot996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:29 PM   #5
pilot996

I also think the M2 is worth a look at but, because of my stature, think it will be too small
Old 10-18-2015, 07:02 PM   #6
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot996 View Post
I also think the M2 is worth a look at but, because of my stature, think it will be too small
Despite being a smaller car by a whole foot, the 2-series has interior dimensions that compare quite favorably with the '16 Camaro.

'15 228i
FRONT HEAD ROOM
40.1 in.
FRONT LEG ROOM
41.5 in.
http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/2-series/...eatures-specs/

'16 Camaro
FRONT HEAD ROOM
36.6 in
FRONT LEG ROOM
42.6 in

So, you'd have 3.5" more head room in the m2 but 1.1" less leg room.

Remarkably, the trunk of the 2 series is 4 cu ft bigger.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:24 PM   #7
pilot996

Hmm. Then maybe I am cross shopping lol. But the M2 will probably start where a 2ss coupe tops out at. But it's worth a look.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:43 PM   #8
DevonK

Drives: TBD
The lifetime ownership costs of the German marques have blunted my interest in them. Unless you lease (or sell before warranty expiry) they can be a costly burden. Otherwise the M2 would definitely have my attention.

Currently cross-shopping:

Focus RS - likely to have fantastic AWD handling, great power/weight ratio, compact form factor; but not a fan of 4-door only configuration or station-wagon styling (better than the Golf R though).

MX-5 (with powered hardtop - due 2016) - great fun factor, precise handling, great design, light and agile; but is it practical enough to be my only car.

SS: wonderful engine, great grip, decent handling, some practicality, sharp looker; but potential visibility issues (tbd in test drive); insurance cost tbd
DevonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:25 PM   #9
lgKido

Drives: 2002 Dodge Ram :(
You contradict yourself. Is your budget 40-50k or is it "well under 40-k"
lgKido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:18 AM   #10
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgKido View Post
You contradict yourself. Is your budget 40-50k or is it "well under 40-k"
I know, confusion is a personal specialty. This is one shopping trait of mine that my wife really hates too. If $40k is the entry price to something I consider good enough, adding $10k for cross shopping somehow seems reasonable to me, even though it does not sound that way.
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:56 AM   #11
pilot996

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonK View Post
The lifetime ownership costs of the German marques have blunted my interest in them. Unless you lease (or sell before warranty expiry) they can be a costly burden. Otherwise the M2 would definitely have my attention.
I totally agree. The woman is getting rid of her few year old bmw for that reason; it's costing her thousands a year just to keep it on the road. The only reason I might have better luck is I literally only drive my personal vehicle maybe 6,000 miles a year and would hope that would keep the overall cost of maintaining it a lot less than what she is experiencing.

The SS is still the front runner but that M2 sure is perty.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:47 AM   #12
Boss Hog

Drives: Flux Capacitor
May sound crazy but I've got it narrowed down to Three. Keep flipping back in forth on wanting Sportiness or Luxury. My choices are...

Camaro SS Convertible, Cadillac CTS Vsport, Or Cadillac XTS vsport. The CTS gives me Luxury and Sportiness combined with 0-60 in 4.4 seconds. But nobody even notices those things go by. The XTS is not really sporty but the ride quality is excellent and has awd. Camaro gives me great sportiness and I always wanted a convertible. So saving final decision until I can test drive the Camaro.
Boss Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:48 AM   #13
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Cross-shop whatever floats your boat. I have a budget (~$55k OTD) and I wanted to see what tickled my sense of 'fun' for everything up to that price. I'll never track the car, and might, maybe, hit the local drag strip once or twice. It'll be a street and backwoods roads cruiser / light to light bruiser. I got flak because I was cross-shopping 2SS convertibles against (in no particular order) GT350, Scat Pack/SRT Challenger, used 911S, used Boxster S, used C7's, S550 GT-PP w/ SC, 2nd gen CTS-V coupes... I probably forgot some.

I won't buy Audi/BMW due to relatives / friends that have had painful ($$$$-wise) experiences with them. AMG were out, too. I considered Porsche's because they are generally well built and last if you take care of them (but ultimately said 'no' due to repairs when needed, are $$$$) I don't *have* spend it all of my budget, but usually at this price point, then more you spend, the more you get.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:59 AM   #14
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Here is my cross shopping list:

Camaro 1SS/2SS
Challenger Scat Pack
Corvette 1LT/2LT
Porsche Macan
Tahoe
Audi S5
Mercedes C450 Coupe
Wait for Tesla Model III

My cross shopping list makes no sense. If I went German, I would lease for sure.

I love the feeling of riding high and the utility that an SUV gives, which is why the Tahoe is on my list. I also want something fun to drive, and I think the Macan provides the best of both worlds, but comes at the price of astronomical maintenance.

I think at this point, I'm down to the Challenger or Camaro. I would rather keep the price of the car in the $40-45k range, and use the difference on a few things around the house and a nice vacation. After checking out all the cars in person (except the Camaro), the German cars are a little nicer, but they aren't even close to being worth 50% more than the Camaro.

I may just lease a Camaro, then buy a Model III as a DD when they come out and lease another Camaro as a toy.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote