Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-14-2018, 01:30 PM   #1
marcgo2

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue
Advice on scratch repair

I unfortunately parked to close to the garage door and caused some scratches on the bumper.

While the area affected is pretty wide, the scratches themselves are not deep.

Is this something I could fix on my own (having very little experience with it), or something that I would need to get a body shop involved in?

Old 03-14-2018, 02:05 PM   #2
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
From what I can tell from the pictures, that's probably a re-paint. $500.

You can always try to clean it up yourself and see if you can live with it. It can't be any worse.

Clean it up really well. Car shampoo, and then use a claybar on the area. Start with a dual action polisher, an orange pad and a compound like Meguiars 105. Folloow with a white pad and a polish like Meguiar's 205. Some of the scratches will disappear leaving the areas that you will need to use touchup paint. Order some Dr. Colorchip touch up paint and do your best to fill the scratches with paint.

If you can live with it great. If not, head to the body shop.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:23 AM   #3
marcgo2

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
From what I can tell from the pictures, that's probably a re-paint. $500.

You can always try to clean it up yourself and see if you can live with it. It can't be any worse.

Clean it up really well. Car shampoo, and then use a claybar on the area. Start with a dual action polisher, an orange pad and a compound like Meguiars 105. Folloow with a white pad and a polish like Meguiar's 205. Some of the scratches will disappear leaving the areas that you will need to use touchup paint. Order some Dr. Colorchip touch up paint and do your best to fill the scratches with paint.

If you can live with it great. If not, head to the body shop.
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:38 PM   #4
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Yep, way too deep to polish only out. Do as suggested, get the surface clean and smooth and personally I would touch it up and move on.

Tip, dont "brush" the paint on the spots. I cringe when my brother in law or uncle touch up their cars, its like they take an interior paint brush and just stroke it on. Pull the included brush out, wipe the paint off back into the bottle. Then just coat the brush, wipe it on the bottle rim one more time so the brush has an even coat on it and then just "dab" the end of the brush on each spot until it is covered. You can "brush" it on, but keep the paint on the brush thin, that way it doesnt glob up and run anywhere.

I usually drop the edge of the brush on the spot, then slowly drag the glob of point forward to the other edge of the repair. Makes for a really level touch up that is hard to notice.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:42 PM   #5
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
"Dab and smear" method of touchup paint by Mike Phillips

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...r-systems.html

KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:16 PM   #6
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Most of it appears to be paint transfer from the garage door.

If you don't have a dual action polisher, then just do as already mentioned, wash, clay, but then use a foam wax applicator with a little compound by hand.

I've tried many different compounds for use by hand, when removing fingernail scratches from underneath door handles on cars, or tiny small places where I can't get a 3" pad on my Rupes mini into.

Carpro Fixer finishes down the best by hand, because it continues to break down as you work it, unlike many other compounds that do not. Most times finishing polish is not required after using it.

After you remove all the paint transfer from the garage door, you'll be better able to see what actual damage was done. My guess would be the edges have the worst damage, as paint is always thinner in these areas.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:37 PM   #7
timmy8784
Drippin' Wet Auto Detail

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Most of it appears to be paint transfer from the garage door.

If you don't have a dual action polisher, then just do as already mentioned, wash, clay, but then use a foam wax applicator with a little compound by hand.

I've tried many different compounds for use by hand, when removing fingernail scratches from underneath door handles on cars, or tiny small places where I can't get a 3" pad on my Rupes mini into.

Carpro Fixer finishes down the best by hand, because it continues to break down as you work it, unlike many other compounds that do not. Most times finishing polish is not required after using it.

After you remove all the paint transfer from the garage door, you'll be better able to see what actual damage was done. My guess would be the edges have the worst damage, as paint is always thinner in these areas.
Agree here. Can't really decide until you see what the actual damage is. Hard to tell what is paint transfer and what is deep scratches based on the pictures.

Do what's been mentioned above and decide from there. Good luck!
timmy8784 is offline   Reply With Quote