Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-17-2018, 11:47 AM   #631
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Refresh is coming regardless. GM would be making a very serious statement regarding place and future of the Camaro if they didn't.

What people have to keep in mind, as stated multiple times, a "mid cycle refresh" can take several levels. They used to be MCE1, 2 and 3. Above that was new of exiting and all new.

If you simply look at the history of what GM has done, it's front and rear fascias and enhancements to the IP Center Stack. That is what was done in 2 phases on the Gen5, the last Epsilon Buicks (Regal and LaCrosse). Others depend on market conditions. If you look at the last 2 variants of the Malibu, GM rushed the previous version out as it needed to be competitive. When they launched that the did an almost immediate refresh to address competitive issues with storage and rear seat room. In the end, they rushed what is the current Malibu (all new) to market. But that was a car that should be selling 300,000 units and was selling at less than half.

I expect GM to tweak the front and rear appearance. May or may not include lamps but it will include at least rear lamps IMO. I expect they will have some tweaks to the interior as well.

Simply, the car is selling poorly and standing pat will do nothing.

The bigger question is if they elect to address any powertrain competitiveness issues. That is up in the air other than the 10 speed which they simply have to do for FE and performance. Would it make sense for GM to jointly develop a transmission with Ford and then have Ford use that same transmission as a competitive advantage? Not going to happen.

What will definitely not be addressed in an MCE 1, 2 or 3 is trunk space, rear set room or visibility. These are BIW impacts that cannot be addressed without millions in tooling.

As for Gen7, leave it to the "un named sources".

GM is clearly spending a crap load of money on the new FST and SUVs, that will be rolling out over the next two years. They are addressing shortages of SUVs for Cadillac and Cadillac has pretty much given us the clue on their sedan lineup. And for plant capacity issues and architecture, the Gen7 can only come from one of two architectures.

Alpha2, which we've already seen spy photos for the NG CTS or Omega. Omega would be awesome, but expensive.

Now to the possible nuclear option, it is possible that GM cancels the refresh and hurries up on the Gen7 off of Alpha2, similar to the last Malibu change. It is possible that GM recognizes that spending money on a refresh simply will not address the sales problem. This is why the last two Malibus were rushed programs ahead of normal timing.

But again, these are simply thoughts and opinions from my experience. What actually happens may be something completely different....................or it may be a 2019 refresh with front and rear fascia, lamps and center stack tweaks as they've done in the past.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:58 AM   #632
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
At the most, I think we can expect front and rear fascia changes, some interior tweaks and maybe the A10.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #633
Gen_Nick3.8

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Refresh is coming regardless. GM would be making a very serious statement regarding place and future of the Camaro if they didn't.

What people have to keep in mind, as stated multiple times, a "mid cycle refresh" can take several levels. They used to be MCE1, 2 and 3. Above that was new of exiting and all new.

If you simply look at the history of what GM has done, it's front and rear fascias and enhancements to the IP Center Stack. That is what was done in 2 phases on the Gen5, the last Epsilon Buicks (Regal and LaCrosse). Others depend on market conditions. If you look at the last 2 variants of the Malibu, GM rushed the previous version out as it needed to be competitive. When they launched that the did an almost immediate refresh to address competitive issues with storage and rear seat room. In the end, they rushed what is the current Malibu (all new) to market. But that was a car that should be selling 300,000 units and was selling at less than half.

I expect GM to tweak the front and rear appearance. May or may not include lamps but it will include at least rear lamps IMO. I expect they will have some tweaks to the interior as well.

Simply, the car is selling poorly and standing pat will do nothing.

The bigger question is if they elect to address any powertrain competitiveness issues. That is up in the air other than the 10 speed which they simply have to do for FE and performance. Would it make sense for GM to jointly develop a transmission with Ford and then have Ford use that same transmission as a competitive advantage? Not going to happen.

What will definitely not be addressed in an MCE 1, 2 or 3 is trunk space, rear set room or visibility. These are BIW impacts that cannot be addressed without millions in tooling.

As for Gen7, leave it to the "un named sources".

GM is clearly spending a crap load of money on the new FST and SUVs, that will be rolling out over the next two years. They are addressing shortages of SUVs for Cadillac and Cadillac has pretty much given us the clue on their sedan lineup. And for plant capacity issues and architecture, the Gen7 can only come from one of two architectures.

Alpha2, which we've already seen spy photos for the NG CTS or Omega. Omega would be awesome, but expensive.

Now to the possible nuclear option, it is possible that GM cancels the refresh and hurries up on the Gen7 off of Alpha2, similar to the last Malibu change. It is possible that GM recognizes that spending money on a refresh simply will not address the sales problem. This is why the last two Malibus were rushed programs ahead of normal timing.

But again, these are simply thoughts and opinions from my experience. What actually happens may be something completely different....................or it may be a 2019 refresh with front and rear fascia, lamps and center stack tweaks as they've done in the past.

Very strong points!!! I think they will move forward with the refresh but if sales doesn't take off they might go into 7th Gen in 2020 or 2021
Gen_Nick3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:22 PM   #634
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I honestly don't know what to expect from the refresh. I'm assuming that 2019 will bring a Z/28 variant, the auto will be a 10 speed, we'll get different wheel design possibly, the rear will get different taillights and bumper may get a slight redesign with standard quad exhausts. And we may see a bump in power to 460hp. Beyond this I think it the front fascia and the rest of exterior and interior stays the same. They may possibly go with a LT3 level option as well, and possible provide a cheaper V8 alternative. One can hope for their sake, they need something to win sales from the Mustang.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:59 PM   #635
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
The one thing that makes a quick shift to Alpha2 a plausible scenario is that shifting ATS, CTS, and Camaro to Alpha2 all at the same time, since they are all built in the same plant, might make a better business case than shifting the Cadillacs to Alpha2 and leaving Camaro on Alpha1. It would be fairly simple to make front and rear fascia changes on an annual program and leave any other goodies for the major program (shift from Alpha to Alpha2).
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #636
'01LS1

Drives: 2003 Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
My dad was always a Chevy truck guy and every one had transmission issues.
My first truck was a used '92 Silverado with a 5 speed manual purchased way back in '94. Followed by a new 2000 Sierra 5.3L auto. 2 (2004 & a 2007) Dmax/Allison dually's & currently a 2013 Sierra 6.2L/6 spd auto. NONE of them have ever had a transmission issue. Nor any real issues what so ever.
Think the '92 had a cracked leaf spring around the bolt. A speedometer in the '04. The 07 dually needed a fan clutch & alternator at well over 100,000 miles. They have always been really good trucks to me.

Per the refresh cancellation that has been mentioned? Cannot imagine all of the hype & camo covered cars rolling around just to carry on w/o any changes. They are not going to let the cars sit still w/o attempting to gain some sales via refresh.
'01LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:14 PM   #637
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISHLISS View Post
Oh great, now we have our very own 'The Pill'

Haha, it's cus............he is thePill.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:42 PM   #638
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
The refresh is coming. We've seen so many camod cars (and they all had 6th gen side sheet metal) for it not to happen.

That said, it possible GM may be moving up the launch of the 7th gen.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #639
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
I think a hatch back or at least a mini hatch like the C7 Vette (along with rear seats that fold completely flat) would go a long way for better utilization of available space without compromising the overall design. I know it won't happen on the refresh, but hopefully on the 7th gen. When I talked to one of the Chevy engineers at the Find New Roads tour a few years ago I mentioned this and he said it's brought up quite a bit at meetings.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #640
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
The refresh is coming. We've seen so many camod cars (and they all had 6th gen side sheet metal) for it not to happen.

That said, it possible GM may be moving up the launch of the 7th gen.
That would be curious if they moved up the launch of the 7th gen considering there are rumblings that the next gen Mustang has been pushed back several years.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:08 PM   #641
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
The one thing that makes a quick shift to Alpha2 a plausible scenario is that shifting ATS, CTS, and Camaro to Alpha2 all at the same time, since they are all built in the same plant, might make a better business case than shifting the Cadillacs to Alpha2 and leaving Camaro on Alpha1. It would be fairly simple to make front and rear fascia changes on an annual program and leave any other goodies for the major program (shift from Alpha to Alpha2).
Not sure the NG ATS will come from Alpha. They've already stated publicly that the ATS will be smaller and I'm not sure Alpha scales down with mass efficiency.

NG CTS will certainly drive A2 as the current CTS is handicapped on A1. And all 3 A1xx models are not doing well (Camaro best of the 3) I'm hoping there is less compromise.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:28 PM   #642
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I don’t see a price drop coming for the refresh...

But I’m hoping for one with the 7th gen.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:30 PM   #643
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
I don’t see a price drop coming for the refresh...

But I’m hoping for one with the 7th gen.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...badtJ0&ampcf=1
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:33 PM   #644
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Not sure the NG ATS will come from Alpha. They've already stated publicly that the ATS will be smaller and I'm not sure Alpha scales down with mass efficiency.

NG CTS will certainly drive A2 as the current CTS is handicapped on A1. And all 3 A1xx models are not doing well (Camaro best of the 3) I'm hoping there is less compromise.
There are things I simply cannot say.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote