Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 11-03-2017, 05:29 PM   #15
6th_gen_gino

Drives: 2016 camaro 2.0t gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashiu View Post
I’ve pretty much always made my own kits, back before all the Chinese shit hit the markets you were lucky to find a performance intercooler (no pipes) for under $1000. Back then we’d use Isuzu NPR intercoolers for cheap front mounts. Then I’d just order a few mandrel bent aluminum pipes, couplers and cut to fit. You can mark the positions and look for a local welder or fab shop to join the pipes, or just run a bunch a couplers. To bead roll the pipes I would just take a set of wire crimpers, cut off the cutters, and your left with a low budget crimping tool.

It’s a little bit of work, but it will save you a few hundred $$.

Smart move and good luck.
Thanks for the advice, I'll see what I can get done
6th_gen_gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:30 PM   #16
6th_gen_gino

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
Where did you buy your intercooler? I've been poking around looking at the higher end products like treadstone and spearco which are both around $500, as well as frozen boost for like $149. I don't mind spending the money on a superior part, as long as it provides superior performance.

When I eventually get the 'big' build going, that will definitely be an air to water setup, as air to air can never bring boost temp below ambient temp.

I'm really glad to see you taking this project on! I wish there was more of a DIY/"can do" type spirit within the community. That is part of the reason why EBM's are so much faster currently! No one is willing to try anything outside the box!
I bought a cxracing intercooler, only about 160 bucks shipped, bar and plate design. I have close friends and family that always urge me to try things out instead of spending the money
Old 11-03-2017, 07:14 PM   #17
BomberCamaro

Drives: 2017 Camaro I4T/2002 Camaro Z/28
For anybody else that's planning on doing this and looking for a cheap IC option.. So with my 4th gen Camaro I was going to have a buddy custom fab my entire hot and cold sides, so I bought a decent sized $55 budget intercooler from VS Racing on Ebay. Well he ended up deploying and I ended up just buying an On3 kit. Upgraded to their "race intercooler" which was a $200 option, just to make sure it flowed well and I knew it would fit the kit. Get it in the mail and I kid you not, it is the same exact intercooler as the VS Racing, to a T. It's just polished and has "on3 performance" stamped in it. But literally the exact same thing. Same welds, same dimensions, same everything.

So, my point in saying this, buying an IC, the upcharge buying from some of these companies is insane for the same product you can get cheaper elsewhere. Save some $$$. Just don't want to see y'all get ripped off like I did.

Follow my mod journey!

So far... 20x9.5 Curva Concepts C-300, Injen 7300 CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM charge pipe, 67mm TB, ZZP tune, Snow meth injection, muffler delete, RPI Designs front splitter, black SS spoiler, tinted windows, black bowties, and driver mod.

Instagram- @Arctic_Blast_Camaro
BomberCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:45 PM   #18
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by BomberCamaro View Post
For anybody else that's planning on doing this and looking for a cheap IC option.. So with my 4th gen Camaro I was going to have a buddy custom fab my entire hot and cold sides, so I bought a decent sized $55 budget intercooler from VS Racing on Ebay. Well he ended up deploying and I ended up just buying an On3 kit. Upgraded to their "race intercooler" which was a $200 option, just to make sure it flowed well and I knew it would fit the kit. Get it in the mail and I kid you not, it is the same exact intercooler as the VS Racing, to a T. It's just polished and has "on3 performance" stamped in it. But literally the exact same thing. Same welds, same dimensions, same everything.

So, my point in saying this, buying an IC, the upcharge buying from some of these companies is insane for the same product you can get cheaper elsewhere. Save some $$$. Just don't want to see y'all get ripped off like I did.

Thank you for further illustrating my point! I've been trying to tell people about these sorts of situations for years! Kinda like the fact that you can make your own E85 flex fuel sensor 'kit' for under $100 rather than paying some vendors $400!!!!!
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:59 AM   #19
vaspen

Drives: 2017 l4 blue 6speed
I have the zzp intercooler it is actually rather big and snakes around the a.c lines just right (hair tight in some cases but still ) just look up jessy on the f.b group I post all my piks there I didn't grab sizes but if I remember the next time I have my bumper off for the 10000 time I will lol there brackets come off the front bumper brace inbetween the brace and frame
vaspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:31 AM   #20
laurenwright3

Drives: Camaro 6 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@ View Post
The one I got from mishimoto is 24.5 x 13.1 x 3, and I know it will fit. I imagine you'll be fine.
Any progress on your intercooler project Jason? I can’t justify paying 2-3 times more for a name brand “vehicle specific” setup.
laurenwright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #21
15CamaroV6

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro I4 Turbo
hey gino. you ever get that intercooler put on? do you have numbers on the pipes? i got the same intercooler for black friday. 128 shipped
15CamaroV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:03 PM   #22
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenwright3 View Post
Any progress on your intercooler project Jason? I can’t justify paying 2-3 times more for a name brand “vehicle specific” setup.
No, but it's going to be an upcoming project that I start on next.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:21 PM   #23
6th_gen_gino

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15CamaroV6 View Post
hey gino. you ever get that intercooler put on? do you have numbers on the pipes? i got the same intercooler for black friday. 128 shipped
Been looking at my options, order universal aluminum piping and have a guy Fab and install for 300 but I have to take off my own number and leave the car for 2 days...or bring it to a shop and have it done with steel piping for 300 bucks and they handle everything
Old 12-09-2017, 08:27 PM   #24
BomberCamaro

Drives: 2017 Camaro I4T/2002 Camaro Z/28
Just go buy some piping at a local store with various bends, buy some couplers, and piece the puzzle together. Save all da monies

Follow my mod journey!

So far... 20x9.5 Curva Concepts C-300, Injen 7300 CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM charge pipe, 67mm TB, ZZP tune, Snow meth injection, muffler delete, RPI Designs front splitter, black SS spoiler, tinted windows, black bowties, and driver mod.

Instagram- @Arctic_Blast_Camaro
BomberCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #25
15CamaroV6

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro I4 Turbo
yea local shop told me just under 400 for parts and labor or he can see what i need and i can order it myself and save some bills from them.
15CamaroV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:02 PM   #26
ZZTimC

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS 2.0
It's great to save money doing things yourself, but there isn't that much to gain here. Unless you are a really good fabricator, you are going to end up with a bunch of extra couplers and clamps. Plus, it always costs more than you think it will once you get started and realize all the parts you need.

Obviously I'm biased because I was in charge of this project, but my point still stands. Sometimes it's worth it to pay for the professionally produced kit.
ZZTimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:39 AM   #27
6th_gen_gino

Update: finally got some quotes for my intercooler installed.
One shop in jax,fl tried to quote me at 800 which doesn't make sense, I would have just bought the kit from zzp.
Another shop in Miami quoted quoted me at 450. So I know where I'll be going
Old 01-18-2018, 07:01 PM   #28
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
If you have a way to cut the tubes you can probably do the mock up work yourself and tape all the pipes together then take them somewhere to be welded up it might save you some more money. If you’re planning on using aluminum, I can sell you a t/map sensor bung to get welded on. That aught to save some labor there if a shop doesn’t have to figure that out and make/machine it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote