Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 01-06-2016, 07:05 PM   #1
Jake8267

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Sebring March 24th

Gonna be taking my 2015 1LE to my very first track event, put on by performance driving group. I really bought this car for this sort of event specifically, as my best friend just picked up a 14 911 carerra s with the PDK transmission...Anyways he is on another level than I currently financially right now, but I researched the heck out of cars I could afford that I feel would be compitetive with his in a track setting...so my question is this, what are somethings i need to change or prepare my car with for its first track event, also what kind of mods would you do, im trying to keep it under $2k for now for mods, the car already has the NPP and i pulled the fuse already ...I know i need to change to brake fluid out, and get a helmet, but other than that I have no clue...thanks for your input
Jake8267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:14 PM   #2
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
For your 1st DE, I would change the Brake Fluid to DOT4 and leave it be. The 1LE is very capable. Your 1st event will be very controlled and you will be held back by your Instructor. Tracks Days are Addicting and if you catch the bug, I'm sure Mods are in your Future!

Sebring is a Long Track (3.7 Miles) and you need to learn the Track, learn about your car and learn about yourself. Stay attentive in Classrooms sessions and from your Instructor - these can save your life!

Forget about how you compare to your Buddy for now and set any Ego aside at the Track. It's all about having Fun and then getting back home safely & in one piece!

Helmets, you can pick up SN2010s pretty cheap since the 2015s are out. Try on Helmets, because different manufacturers Lids fit your head differently. Wine Country Motorsports has a shop at the Sebring entrance and has plenty of helmets in stock.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:41 PM   #3
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Is this the full course or club circut?
Old 01-08-2016, 04:21 PM   #4
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
You will be getting all kinds of advice from this thread, and it all is good and makes sense. But from someone who really knows what these cars can do, and this is your 1st time on track, you dont need to do anything except go have fun....and dont crash!

Not being an ass, but since this is your 1st time on track you wont be driving anywhere near the limits of the 1LE.
If this is something you will be doing often then make some changes, just trying to save your money.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:08 PM   #5
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8267 View Post
Gonna be taking my 2015 1LE to my very first track event, put on by performance driving group. I really bought this car for this sort of event specifically, as my best friend just picked up a 14 911 carerra s with the PDK transmission...Anyways he is on another level than I currently financially right now, but I researched the heck out of cars I could afford that I feel would be compitetive with his in a track setting...so my question is this, what are somethings i need to change or prepare my car with for its first track event, also what kind of mods would you do, im trying to keep it under $2k for now for mods, the car already has the NPP and i pulled the fuse already ...I know i need to change to brake fluid out, and get a helmet, but other than that I have no clue...thanks for your input
I have run my ZL1 at Sebring several times. Like you said, upgrade your brake fluid, get a helmet, burnish your brakes/pads before you go. Tell the organizer that you are new and would like to to be placed with an instructor that really knows and is familiar with the track. The instructor should give you a mike and earpiece combo so you can talk together. I found an open face helmet better and cheaper for this. Check Summit Racing for good prices. You will NOT need racing shoes. Get a good tire pressure gauge as well, you will need it to lower the pressure in your tires from normal driving. You will also need to torque your lug nuts to 100 pounds. It is a great track, you will love the speed of the front and back straights. Have fun and listen to your instructor.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2016, 11:44 AM   #6
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
I have run my ZL1 at Sebring several times. Like you said, upgrade your brake fluid, get a helmet, burnish your brakes/pads before you go. Tell the organizer that you are new and would like to to be placed with an instructor that really knows and is familiar with the track. The instructor should give you a mike and earpiece combo so you can talk together. I found an open face helmet better and cheaper for this. Check Summit Racing for good prices. You will NOT need racing shoes. Get a good tire pressure gauge as well, you will need it to lower the pressure in your tires from normal driving. You will also need to torque your lug nuts to 100 pounds. It is a great track, you will love the speed of the front and back straights. Have fun and listen to your instructor.
Great Shot!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:26 PM   #7
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
OP, have fun and tell your buddy to stay out of your way! :-)

Seriously, 1st time out is a blast and you will do best to just go 6 or 7/10ths and get some medium paced laps behind you. As I mentioned on another thread, get some heat in your tires first time out, especially if you are still on the Goodyears, as they need at least 1 or 2 laps to get some heat in them to be safe (More if the weather is cold). Once you get better, there are brake mods you can do, but that's all really needed. The car is really that good, not much to touch. Also personal preference but I wear gloves both on track and off. Traction control! Leave it on till you feel comfortable. Ask the instructor about this too and they will let you know when you are ready to flip it into comp mode. ;-)
Old 01-16-2016, 09:00 PM   #8
Jake8267

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Awesome guys. Thanks for the tips And advice
Jake8267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:27 PM   #9
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
What organization is holding the event? As mentioned DOT 4 brake fluid is a must. Get Motul or better, I boiled cheap Dot 4 on the short track.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:41 AM   #10
summit1le

Drives: 15 Lexus RCF, 17 Vette Grand Sport
I see you are going with PDG. I will be at Sebring with Chin on April 2nd-3rd. Sebring is a great track. Just change your brake fluid and have fun. Make sure you listen to your instructor. Also if he offers you a ride in his or her personal car take them up on the offer, as you will get to appreciate how much faster they are!
2013 Summit 1SS 1LE w/NPP, SW 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers, CAI Intake, Ported TB, Cammotion 224/232 113 LSA, BTR Valvetrain, Melling Oil Pump, 468 HP 423, Apex Catch Can, Tank Plates, RPM 4 Point Roll Bar with SCCA/NASA Cross Brace, Schroth 6 Point Han's Harness, OMP WRC Front Seats, F.M.T Trailing Arms, F.M.T Solid Aluminum Subframe Bushings, Moreno Motorsports Camber Plates, BMR Bushings Front and Rear, Essex/AP Racing Radi-Cal Endurance Front Brakes, Quantum Brake Cooling Ducts, ZL1 Rockers, ZL1 Air Deflectors, Heritage Grill, Pfadt Springs.
summit1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:51 PM   #11
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I'm planning on running the full course April 30-May1 with NASA. Remember to pay attention to where the flag stations are, it's important to look at each station every lap but at the beginning you'll likely be too nervous to take your eyes off the track so the instructor will help keep an eye on them until you feel comfortable. I always try to watch YouTube videos of similar cars to get an idea of the track configuration and get a sense of the proper lines. FYI light underpowered cars like Miatas have different line as they need to keep momentum.

Try to do a cool down lap after each session and DO NOT use the parking brake. Remember to bring the inflator pump so you can add air if needed.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:23 PM   #12
Balue

Drives: 2013 SW 2SS/1LE
Didn't read all posts but if it was not said get an allignment. These things can be way off,from factory and you don't need to chew up tires and get false feed back from the car. Other than that, yeah brake fluid and have fun!
Balue is offline   Reply With Quote