Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

AWE Tuning

Old 12-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #1
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
ZL1 1LE Sway Bars vs ZL1 Sway Bars

Does anyone know if the ZL1 1LE sway bars are stiffer or softer than the normal ZL1 bars? I haven't been able to find this information and would like to purchase the stiffer set.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:23 PM   #2
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Does anyone know if the ZL1 1LE sway bars are stiffer or softer than the normal ZL1 bars? I haven't been able to find this information and would like to purchase the stiffer set.
I would suggest you get the SS 1LE bar.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:40 PM   #3
rorymick

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 1LT 2.0L Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
I would suggest you get the SS 1LE bar.

But whyyyyy.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:12 AM   #4
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorymick View Post
But whyyyyy.
Because the SS 1LE bar if not the same part number which is possible, is more than stiff enough to do the job. No one will ever run and SS 1LE bar and say its too soft! My car 3 wheels over a slight road crown exiting my office and any bar that can do that with a 3800# car is more than stiff enough. Some of the fastest drivers on this forum are running SS 1LE's on slicks and not a peep has been mentioned of needing stiffer sway bars.

To the OP don't just look to buy stuff for the name. If you're only buying stuff to say "I have the ZL1 1LE sway bars" then by all means go for it. But if your main purpose is to improve the handling of the car then research a little more and find a package. If I was you I would purchase the 1LE suspension package so you know everything was engineered to complement each other.

http://thatcamaropartsguy.com/ss-gmp...eneral-motors/
Old 12-06-2017, 09:24 AM   #5
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
I see you have a Calloway, so that adds front end weight with the blower.

The ZL1 bars will be a better match for you. The ZL1 1LE bars would be setup to work in conjunction with both the wider tires as well as the spring rates that come with the DSSV setup.

Unless you plan on going with the DSSV setup as well (you do have a 1SS, no mag ride, right?), your best bet is to stick with the non-ZL1 1LE bars.

Think of suspension as a system where every piece compliments each other. Spring rate helps dictate swaybar rates, etc. etc.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:43 AM   #6
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post

The ZL1 bars will be a better match for you. The ZL1 1LE bars would be setup to work in conjunction with both the wider tires as well as the spring rates that come with the DSSV setup.

Unless you plan on going with the DSSV setup as well (you do have a 1SS, no mag ride, right?), your best bet is to stick with the non-ZL1 1LE bars.

Think of suspension as a system where every piece compliments each other. Spring rate helps dictate swaybar rates, etc. etc.
ZL1 and SS 1LE have the same sway bars and it doesn't sound like the ZL1 1LE has any different sway bars.

https://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/suspe...64?parent=1034

Quote:
Stiffen up your chassis with this 1LE / ZL1 Sway Bar Kit for your SS! This kit improves grip on acceleration, cornering and overall ride quality. These are the same FE4 Sway bars off of the ZL1 and 1LE Track Package, which also makes this kit plug and play.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2017, 10:31 AM   #7
TheRealJA105

Quote:
Because the SS 1LE bar if not the same part number which is possible, is more than stiff enough to do the job. No one will ever run and SS 1LE bar and say its too soft! My car 3 wheels over a slight road crown exiting my office and any bar that can do that with a 3800# car is more than stiff enough. Some of the fastest drivers on this forum are running SS 1LE's on slicks and not a peep has been mentioned of needing stiffer sway bars.

To the OP don't just look to buy stuff for the name. If you're only buying stuff to say "I have the ZL1 1LE sway bars" then by all means go for it. But if your main purpose is to improve the handling of the car then research a little more and find a package. If I was you I would purchase the 1LE suspension package so you know everything was engineered to complement each other.

http://thatcamaropartsguy.com/ss-gmp...eneral-motors/
Thanks, if no one says that why are the BMR bars way stiffer? You could have just not even responded to my thread because you don't know the answer as well, but you think I just want to say i have ZL1 1LE stuff. I know how fast i am believe me, and I want the stiffest factory bars available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post

I have mag ride and mjk3888 is correct that the ZL1 and the SS1LE have the same bars
Quote:
ZL1 and SS 1LE have the same sway bars and it doesn't sound like the ZL1 1LE has any different sway bars.

https://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/suspe...64?parent=1034
Well the fact that they are different part numbers and the fact that the Zl1 1LE rear bar is adjustable both prove you wrong.

You tell me I need to do more research. Well what do you think the purpose of this thread is? I'm looking for the biggest difference with best bang for the buck. You say i need a kit, I think not for cost to performance increase ratio.
I have exhausted all of my other options for research so i'll just line it out for you.

1LE / ZL1 Sway Bar Kit this is my most likely purchase already known and researched before you spouted off in my thread $164
ZL1 1LE Sway Bar Kit If this kit is stiffer and allows me to adjust my rear rate I will buy it $155 its even actually cheaper
GEN 6 CAMARO SS SC1 PERFORMANCE SWAY BAR KIT i doubt those handling links are worth $226 of improvement $390
All 3 of these options are cheaper than the aftermarket, retain warranty, and I personally know someone having issues with the aftermarket bars.
GEN 6 1LE SUSPENSION UPGRADE FOR SS first I have a 2016 so the calibration wouldn't work (research!) second huge cost of $1181 that I don't think the extra components are worth the extra $1017
Need me to keep going with the $5k DSSV kit or the $1200 ZL1 1LE handling component kit.

In summary just as I thought no one knows the answer. I'll try emailing GM to see if I can get through. I apologize in advance, but yes I did get angry at your assumption that I know nothing and want parts for the name.

Last edited by TheRealJA105; 01-27-2020 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:54 AM   #8
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
I hear you, and feel you! Hence why I don't post on this forum much. I too would like to find a stiffer bar..
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:14 AM   #9
TheRealJA105

I tried to contact Chevy with the contact us link on their website. Does anyone know of a better way to get an answer? I really want to buy these for a Christmas present for myself.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:29 AM   #10
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Old 12-08-2017, 11:46 AM   #11
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Stiffer isnt always better (not what she said). Just food for thought... I would go with the SS1LE bar and some BMR endlinks. I think that would be a good balance. I too will also suggest the full 1LE setup. GM designed everything to work together. This car is a weapon in the right hands on a race track. The suspension parts and setup arent the limiter. Its the driver and tires. If you want to run a slick you might consider it but I would be looking at your shock/damper before bars.
slick3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:56 PM   #12
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
I tried to contact Chevy with the contact us link on their website. Does anyone know of a better way to get an answer? I really want to buy these for a Christmas present for myself.
one answer I'll give you, you may not like, its just my experience. GM is pretty quiet on handing out specs. I have a set of V6 1LE rear springs, that I want/need to get teched out for spring rate. I've gone though about 5 or 6 routes of dealing with GM (from two oem parts vendors on this forum, to local, to online parts dealers) to simply get the spring rate for the part number. doesn't make much sense to swap springs on what I have if theres virtually little difference in the v6 1le springs, ya know?

they don't easily release them.

the majority of times you see spring rates and stiffness numbers on bars and springs is when an independent company aka BMR, Hotchkiss, AFE, etc... does their own research and post back....this is stock oem, and heres what we offer.

there's a post of spring rates, and its been most of us on the forums, researching from the aftermarket companies and compiling spec numbers from their publishing of oem and their products. and one guy went to a local shop in Dulles VA that measured the spring rate to an SS 1LE spring or something in that realm...which is how we got that number.

so unless you can find a company that is or has tried to improve the ZL1 1LE sway bar or sells an upgrade for it, its gonna be slim pickins to figure it out through GM.

best of luck to ya. still trying to get the spring rates done on these gm springs locally.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:50 PM   #13
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
Quote:
Thanks mom, if no one says that why are the BMR bars way stiffer? You could have just not even responded to my thread because you don't know the answer as well, but you think I just want to say i have ZL1 1LE stuff. I know how fast i am believe me, and I want the stiffest factory bars available.

I have mag ride and mjk3888 is correct that the ZL1 and the SS1LE have the same bars

Well the fact that they are different part numbers and the fact that the Zl1 1LE rear bar is adjustable both prove you wrong. Thanks again for the invalid input to my thread.

You tell me I need to do more research. Well what do you think the purpose of this thread is? I'm looking for the biggest difference with best bang for the buck. You say i need a kit, I think not for cost to performance increase ratio.
I have exhausted all of my other options for research so i'll just line it out for you.

1LE / ZL1 Sway Bar Kit this is my most likely purchase already known and researched before you spouted off in my thread $164
ZL1 1LE Sway Bar Kit If this kit is stiffer and allows me to adjust my rear rate then why the F would i not buy it $155 its even actually cheaper
GEN 6 CAMARO SS SC1 PERFORMANCE SWAY BAR KIT i doubt those handling links are worth $226 of improvement $390
All 3 of these options are cheaper than the aftermarket, retain warranty, and I personally know someone having issues with the aftermarket bars.
GEN 6 1LE SUSPENSION UPGRADE FOR SS first I have a 2016 so the calibration wouldn't work (research omg!) second huge cost of $1181 that I don't think the extra components are worth the extra $1017
Need me to keep going with the $5k DSSV kit or the $1200 ZL1 1LE handling component kit.

In summary just as I thought no one knows the answer. I'll try emailing GM to see if I can get through. I apologize in advance, but yes I did get angry at your assumption that I know nothing and want parts for the name.
Thank you @TheRealJA105,
very helpful, I am looking for an improvement of my 50th SS with MRC. I would go with just the sway bars but I am not sure. I opened another thread before I found this one. Do you have a part Nr.
I heard about figment Problems from Aftermarket parts.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:38 AM   #14
TheRealJA105

Thanks to all the wonderful help from this thread , I went ahead and purchased the ZL1 1LE bars. Part numbers 23332961 and 84218218. They won't even be on the car until next May, so don't expect a performance update anytime soon. But hey, at least I can say I have ZL1 1LE parts right!