Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-16-2017, 09:03 AM   #15
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
The stiff shifter complaint is really common.

A) the syncros need break-in time, several thousand miles
B) the factory trans fluid is garbage in cold temps, roughly below 45°F. Swapping in a very good fluid like AMSoil manual syncromesh oil alleviates almost all the cold weather notchiness.

Nearly anything not American, to be honest. Get to your nearest Miata or S2000 for examples of flawless shifter quality.
Meh can’t even compare. Those things feel flimsy by comparison. More prisisiom maybe. My pcar didn’t feel as good on a 10* day as a 100* but what do I know
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:22 AM   #16
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
Meh can’t even compare. Those things feel flimsy by comparison. More prisisiom maybe. My pcar didn’t feel as good on a 10* day as a 100* but what do I know
You're right, you can't compare them. But know that they can't be flimsy and precise simultaneously. If you're going to try to diss them, make it believable.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:18 PM   #17
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
You seem bored. You want me to go into how it feels flimsy and precise? Lol
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:30 PM   #18
JRS

Drives: 16 camaro M6/ 18 ZL1 camaro A10
I drive mine all year and in cold weather mine seems like you have to force it into gear and it felt rubbery when it would go into gear until you got the trans warm. I have 10,000 miles now and just changed the trans oil with the ACDelco 88861800 Manual Transmission Fluid oil and it made a big difference in the cold, it makes the shifter feel more mechanical and easier to tell your in gear. The factory fluid seemed thicker than the gm oil which is basically dextron 3. I would recommend changing the oil just from my experience.
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:56 AM   #19
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS View Post
I drive mine all year and in cold weather mine seems like you have to force it into gear and it felt rubbery when it would go into gear until you got the trans warm. I have 10,000 miles now and just changed the trans oil with the ACDelco 88861800 Manual Transmission Fluid oil and it made a big difference in the cold, it makes the shifter feel more mechanical and easier to tell your in gear. The factory fluid seemed thicker than the gm oil which is basically dextron 3. I would recommend changing the oil just from my experience.
I'm going to switch to redline d4. A good amount of people seem to like that stuff

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:49 PM   #20
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
This is a very very helpful thread.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:44 AM   #21
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Today was our first real freeze in AZ. It was 30 degrees when I started my car at 7:30am. The gearbox was extremely cold and made noises I've never heard before. I followed someone's suggestion and did a 1-3 shift for the first 15 minutes of drive. This didn't help with the weird noises but it was super easy to shift. 1-2 is usually very difficult when cold. I checked the trans fluid temp a few minutes into the drive and it was only 50. Around 65 everything started getting back to normal. As I pulled into work (about 25 minutes later) fluid temp was up to 85. Just some info on the stock fluid and temp readings.
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:20 AM   #22
NUCAR

Drives: 68 big block
Just switched to Redline D4. A noticeable improvement. With the stock fluid, working the shifter before moving helped but the change to Redline was a change for the better.
NUCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:39 AM   #23
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
The crap ATF GM uses in these really doesn't do well below 40F... or in general if you ask me. I put in RP Synchromax and the difference is really noticeable when it gets below freezing. If you plan on driving it during winter just upgrade the oil.

I used a higher grade ATF in my old CTS-V and the improvement wasn't as noticeable as with RP oil... even though the TR6060 was much better to begin with.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:42 AM   #24
Tyro

Drives: 2017 V6 1LE - Krypton Green
When shopping for oils there are a lot of variables. With regards to cold weather performance (or hot, for that matter) look for something full synthetic with a high viscosity index (VI). VI is basically the oils resistance to viscosity change in relation to temperature. A higher VI means the oil does not get as thick in the cold or as thin in the heat.
For a rough comparison the chart below shows the viscosity of Mobil 1 and Mobil Super, both in 5W30 grade, both with an API SN rating. At operating temperature they are pretty much the same, but as the temperature drops the mineral base gets a lot thicker.
The Mobil 1 pour point is -42 Celsius and the Mobil Super will pour to -36 Celsius.

I know this isn't directly related to the GM trans oil but I thought the information could be relevant here. I use aftermarket engine oils for comparison because they are easier to get data on then OEM fluids, which are not made by the OEMs anyways.
Attached Images

Tyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:28 PM   #25
fahimghaffar

Drives: 2018 Camaro ss
I have a camaro ss 2018

I am having same 2nd gear issue. One the customer got it fixed and found out that is a defective transmission housing. Here is the link to the video. https://youtu.be/FxngwiF7_Wg

GM knows about it but they are telling their dealer to tell customers that it is normal. Everybody, we need to report this issue to NHTSA.gov. Here is the link for that https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

All these camaoros have defected transmision housing which is causing multiple symtoms. For example, hard to shift to 2nd when upshift or downsift, 2nd gear popping out and shift into neutral, missing 2nd gear and sometime grinding.
I spoke to 2 dealers and they both have different openion. One says that i need skip shift eliminater and the other one says that it is normal to have symtoms like that also Advised me not to use the 2nd gear. Which is bad beacuse we spent a fortune buying this car and then we are unable the use 2nd gear.

Please everybody, go NHTSA website and file a complain because they are not going to fix it until government institution files a lawsuit against GM
fahimghaffar is offline   Reply With Quote