Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-12-2018, 07:16 AM   #15
MySS8U

Drives: Black 1SS 1LE
bump
Old 01-12-2018, 07:24 AM   #16
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
75% this is the problem........
Attached Images

MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:24 AM   #17
MySS8U

Drives: Black 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBlueCamaro View Post
75% this is the problem........
How is it the filter? Is it getting hot and smoking just enough to create the smell?

Mine has a smell but came just before my 2nd oil change with 26% oil life remaining with 5xxx miles. The smell is gone now and I'm at 95% after a couple weeks since the oil change. I thought it was my trans but I'm not 100% sure. Ive driven manuals for many years and have never lost a tranny.

Im wondering if it's the way our Camaro's are being driving at the time of smell. WOT, Burn outs, city driving, or Tour Mode.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:15 PM   #18
wilf
Wilf

Drives: Gen 6 HyperBlue SS, Yellow C7
Had the oil smell from new and after oil change still there. Smells in the car when at a light and a bit when you get out. In other vehicles spilt oil seems to burn off after a short run. I drive fairly easy no burn outs,, popping clutch etc (wife usually aboard)
Will have the dealer look at it next oil change
wilf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:18 PM   #19
Chevyman2

Drives: 2018 zl1
I’m actually getting tired of this smell and considering dealer intervention I’m at about 3k Miles.
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:07 AM   #20
Divrdown

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
I posted this on another topic but this took care of the issue for me. As noted I only got the burning smell when I stopped or when I was backing up.

OK I just went out and jacked up the car to check the rear differential as there are cooling lines going to and from it and thought it may be leaking. I found that where the differential is mounted using bushings towards the front of the car there is fluid all around them. This fluid is then dripping down onto the exhaust just enough to leave a stain where its burning off.
The bushing is just a rubber or polyurethane bushing inside the cast housing and of course there are no fittings. Does anyone know if these are supposed to be filled / sealed with grease? Or are they just greased up to allow installation? I went ahead and cleaned all of the run off with a cleaner to see if this cures the burning smell. I attached a couple of pictures to show the parts.
Attached Images

Divrdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:15 AM   #21
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
On my 2016 SS, I could only smell the burning when stopping or taking off from a stop. It was slight seepage from the oil level sensor seal on the passenger side of the oil tank and of course right below that is the exhaust.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:23 PM   #22
Chevyman2

Drives: 2018 zl1
I have looked over and under for leaks. I suspect its from the glue located on the backside of heat shields that looks yellow. Likely heating up dripping on the hot exhaust. Im thinking the ones located on transmission housing and electrical wiring on the rear of engine block.

Atleast this was the case on my C7. I tracked that glue leak down to a piece of wire management near the engine block. It actually leaked enough that I could see from under hood without jacking car up.

The heat wrap glue was dripping out of one of the ends. I cannot get back there on zl1 to see at this point . The leaking glue manifested itself around 2000 miles on c7. Not sure if this is a known issue or just one of the quirks of the heat wire management that Chevrolet has.
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:15 PM   #23
Divrdown

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
Changed the fluid in the differential today. Found that there is still fluid seeping out from around the mounting bushings I pictured above in the older post.
Any ideas where this could be coming from? I cleaned it all up again and there is just a trace of the fluid around the bushings again, enough to run down onto the exhaust. It smells like the gear oil but unless there is breather vent on top of the differential then I can not find a source for the fluid. Any ideas?
Divrdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:53 PM   #24
mano_camaro
IYAOYAS

Drives: 22 1LE 2SS M6 Riverside Blue
I first noticed the smaell after doing autocross at camarofest 8, almost 2 weeks ago.
This morning after driving 45 min to work i noticed the smell again, didnt drive it hard just highway and stop and go traffic when exiting the highway.

Only thing different i did before driving to camarofest was washing the engine bay with degreaser and garden hose with engine on.

About 500 mi before that i changed the oil myself to royal purple, and oil filter the same brand.
mano_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:23 PM   #25
mano_camaro
IYAOYAS

Drives: 22 1LE 2SS M6 Riverside Blue
Talking

I went on my lunch break and took a gander under the hood, and noticed a piece of electric tape from a wire harness come loose, and making contact with a steel piece next to the radiator. Looks like the glue melted from the heat during Autocross in CF8.

I guess someone can try melting a piece of electrical tape and compare the smells, i prob will do the same if i remember today or tomorrow.
mano_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote