Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-24-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
BlackSovereign

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE Black
Help: CatchCan on a V6?

Which model would I need?
How often do you empty yours?
Does it void warranty?
Any problems to look out for?(ie Engine lights)
BlackSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:03 PM   #2
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Catch should not cause any CEL. I would say the best ones out are the RX Performance Tracy Lewis Catch Can and the Mishimoto...

I prefer the RXP one its a bit more technical but the process to empty it is a breeze. and it works proven on many many many different cars out there.

As far as how often you empty it that is up to you.. every oil change ? every other oil change.. every car gets different amounts of blow by.. The harder you drive it the more blow by you get. That will be up to you to figure out.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:32 PM   #3
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
I have the Elite Engineering catch can and I have posted a thread on installing it with a video. Just search this forum.

I get about 1 oz every oil change so you could easily go several oil changes with out emptying it.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
I have the Elite Engineering catch can and I have posted a thread on installing it with a video. Just search this forum.

I get about 1 oz every oil change so you could easily go several oil changes with out emptying it.
Same with the mishimoto so far... just a bit over change and im just over 40k recently.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:21 AM   #5
BlackSovereign

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE Black
Hi Guys,

I can't seem to find the v6 compatible mishimoto catch can. or any for that matter.
Are you guys buying the v8 or i4 version for your v6 camaro? Am I missing something?
Old 10-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #6
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSovereign View Post
Which model would I need?

V6 model i'm fairly certain you could use the V8 model on the V6 same principal for a stock engine.

How often do you empty yours?

Depends on how often you drive if your a daily driver I see you live in Toronto you will want to check it every 2 weeks during sub-30 weather in the winter because it will fill 5x faster due to condensation.

Does it void warranty?

Yes and No is the only answer if you suffer a PCV related malfunction then yes if it was a hard internal part failure then no.

Any problems to look out for? (ie Engine lights)

Not emptying it in time will cause a river of oil to go into the intake manifold making it worse then not having one. It's a labor of love.

Personally I have the Mishimoto on my new one the Elite Engineering one I had on my 5th Gen V6 for over 150k miles it worked great.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:54 PM   #7
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I have two on my car.

One on the clean side, a mishimoto on the dirty side. The universal fits fine with a bracket made by yourself.

My engine doesn't have blow-by though so after close to 10k miles with catch cans on my car, I've had nothing accumulate to any amount that shows as liquid. Just wipe the insides with a cloth and come out with a little bit of soot/oil vapor residue. Looks dry to the eye though.

So would it be worth it to a car like that to spend 300 dollars on a catch can? No. But if you can throw one on for a hundred or less then go for it. Wont hurt anything.

Now can it void some warranties? Sure. You're cutting tubes and connecting something to the intake that isn't from the manufacturer. That will always cause certain warranties regarding the things you're modifying to be void. It wont void all of your warranty though.

How much of a hassle your dealer gives you regarding it is up to the dealer. What they say and do vs what is legal and not are very different things most of the time.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:51 PM   #8
PolynesianPowerhouse

Last 3k on my car before an addition to be used for further testing which started at 41k

Some of us, drive more and harder than others. If you plan to be sporty with your car, add one.

In the near future, i should have another test result to add and show. The picture above is with ONLY a Mishimoto on the dirty side.

Running a new setup currently.

I used BND Quantum Blue custom blended oil(its not actually blue), and have an oil analysis done per every change so i know how much is left in oil life and if any excessive metsls or materials are in the oil. At 43k today, so part one of the testing will be completed soon.
Attached Images

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
Old 10-17-2017, 09:05 PM   #9
cellsafemode

You got around 4 times the mileage as i do and we probably got our cars around the same time.

I drive pretty aggressively if you ask anyone who has been in the car with me. Only thing i can think of as to why I dont get blow by and you do is that it's just luck of the draw. Either that or humidity. I live where it never rains basically, and it's always around 80 degrees.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:10 PM   #10
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
I get about the same amount in my can as PP. I empty every oil change. I went with American made Elite Engineering.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:09 AM   #11
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
You got around 4 times the mileage as i do and we probably got our cars around the same time.

I drive pretty aggressively if you ask anyone who has been in the car with me. Only thing i can think of as to why I dont get blow by and you do is that it's just luck of the draw. Either that or humidity. I live where it never rains basically, and it's always around 80 degrees.

true. mine was around may of 2016.

how aggressive would you say you drive?

daily driver? random spirited drive? any times over 100+ mph? just asking, only cause I'm not out there drivin with ya in cali

I don't think humidity has MUCH to do with it, only because as an enclosed PCV system, it shouldn't have much bearing on outside interference. Every engine has the cycle of being hot, and then cools off. overnight, condensation internally can occur, but when the engine runs again, as long as the oil is getting over that magic 212 degrees F temp, the excess condensation is being burned off. over the summer, it was dry for days here, and over 95-100+ degrees. theres been plenty of wet days here, but also plenty of dry and low humidity days. I'm in an area where theres a WIDE range of weather.

luck of the draw, possibly. but I think theres a bit more to the equation. more than I actually knew in the beginning about vacuum on the LGX, and also the leaking issues, I had with the mishimoto can at first. KirkH actually pointed out a few things about vacuum for our engines I didn't know about, that I started to look into, and then after a few weeks of reading and learning, it made sense.

with that being said, I've reached out to kirk every so often, and he and I both, get about the same. locally the one guy out near Frederick, gets about the same, and from what I'm seeing, even the boosted guys are getting roughly the same.

one thing I found an issue with.... on my can personally, the hose barbs that screw into the can which are plastic. mine went ALL the way in. on yours theres still space. http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=77. just making sure, but they are screwed in as tight as they go on yours right? initially that's where one of my leak issues were. the o-ring on the bottom half of the can was the second.

another worry, I had, and this was just my own. my initial spot of placement.... just happened to be right above the catalytic converter/downpipe. I've since moved the can to NOT be overtop a decently huge heat source. remember we are trying to condense and separate through filtration oil from air. its a possibility that being over a heat source such as a downpipe/cat, that the heat never allows condensation as it should. hopefully the microbronze filter inside does its thing, but I moved mine to take that worry out the equation. if you look at all the LX platforms (dodge), the 5th gen Camaros v6 and v8...the cans were mounted front of the engine.

remember, we kinda rigged it up from the start. we went with the basic capture the dirty side, which makes sense. but with some catch cans, theres the option of adding more full time vacuum, which more of less, increases the catch volume by using the same can.

mishimoto also started to do work developing something for us, and from what i'm gathering from them, they've found theres more than just capturing from the dirty side pcv line.

stay tuned!

P.s. you mentioned a second can, if you don't mind, how did you set the second side up?

Last edited by PolynesianPowerhouse; 10-18-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:47 PM   #12
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Quote:
I have two on my car.

One on the clean side, a mishimoto on the dirty side. The universal fits fine with a bracket made by yourself.

My engine doesn't have blow-by though so after close to 10k miles with catch cans on my car, I've had nothing accumulate to any amount that shows as liquid. Just wipe the insides with a cloth and come out with a little bit of soot/oil vapor residue. Looks dry to the eye though.

So would it be worth it to a car like that to spend 300 dollars on a catch can? No. But if you can throw one on for a hundred or less then go for it. Wont hurt anything.

Now can it void some warranties? Sure. You're cutting tubes and connecting something to the intake that isn't from the manufacturer. That will always cause certain warranties regarding the things you're modifying to be void. It wont void all of your warranty though.

How much of a hassle your dealer gives you regarding it is up to the dealer. What they say and do vs what is legal and not are very different things most of the time.

After 26k miles without a catch can my valves looked good and the RXP/Tracylewis/Eliteengineering design still catches blow by since I installed it. I doubt you are getting 0 blow by it seems to be common place people with these expensive complicated catch can systems are getting blow by in their cans and people with inexpensive ones arent getting anything... Maybe your system is not catching it making you think you arent getting anything. How many systems out there are just a empty can with 2 hoses going to them. Not exactly a well thought out system.

I group RXP Tracy Lewis and EE cans because they are all similar in design and concept.

KirkH never saw your video nice job though I enjoyed watching it anyways I am going to move my cans location now.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:20 PM   #13
cellsafemode

Mishimoto's aren't cheap. Some companies are adding additional vacuum to suck the pcv system. That's basically creating blowby to justify their own product.

It may be needed for boost but i think it's marketing design for na setups.

Edit: when the pcv system is working correctly, you shouldn't get liquid traveling into the line going to the intake. Just gasses. Adding vacuum until you start sucking in liquids or more specifically, heavy vapor, is not how it is supposed to work, but it makes the cans look justified.

Last edited by cellsafemode; 10-19-2017 at 02:36 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:11 AM   #14
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Mishimoto's aren't cheap. Some companies are adding additional vacuum to suck the pcv system. That's basically creating blowby to justify their own product.

It may be needed for boost but i think it's marketing design for na setups.

Edit: when the pcv system is working correctly, you shouldn't get liquid traveling into the line going to the intake. Just gasses. Adding vacuum until you start sucking in liquids or more specifically, heavy vapor, is not how it is supposed to work, but it makes the cans look justified.
Actually thats a bit incorrect. To start our pcv setup is not like the avg v8 or any olderschool car. Same goes for the 2.0t, which is why mishimoto found that it needed two cans.

In stock form, we have a dirty pcv line that comes from the rear. That alone is the dirty side.

We also have the 3 way tee setup that attaches to BOTH cylinder heads in the front and then to the intake tube on the passenger side of the car. Thats an additional vacuum. Period.

The first vacuum is from the dirty side and goes into the venturi valve ( rubber cap connection). #1

#2 is the vacuum that the three way tee connects into and on the right side of the intake tube when looking at the car.

Thats from the factory. GM designed that. Our current pcv isnt like the normal out the pcv and into the intake. There are two distinct and separate areas of vacuum.

Older more traditional systems was just placing an oil separator inline of the dirty side.

None of the newer setups are drawing actual liquid out of the engine or anywhere for that matter. They are doing the same thing that any PCV system has done. It's drawing in oil Vapors, separating them from the air via some sort of media, and then allowing them to condense cool down and drop to the bottom of whatever can you may be using.

Oddly enough, this is somewhat similar to the way a stock muffler that has open chambers collects exhaust gases and allows them to go into an open area, condense, & cool down. its just lacking a media for the carbon separated from the gases to collect to.

Also extra vacuum isn't going to create Blow by. More or less any suction added there after that the oil isn't already hot enough to burn off and create is going to be a plus for the engine. In the simple fact that it will make the piston rings seal more tightly to the Piston walls.. remember blow by is just hot gases that get by the piston rings. Any kind of suction AKA vacuum will just help anything move more efficiently. That's why things float around in space. there's no friction on them in the vacuum of space.

Also for note... old school muscle cars... performance additions included vacuum pumps. What are vacuum pumps, what do they do and how do they work

http://www.gzmotorsports.com/why-use-vacuum-pump.html.

Last edited by PolynesianPowerhouse; 10-19-2017 at 08:03 AM.