Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 09-30-2017, 11:03 AM   #43
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
I'm looking to do the GM lowering kit with my 2SS as well. I'm also wanting to add the newer sway bars as well. Has anyone done this mod at the same time and what was your cost on both kits? I don't have the MRC but looking to firm things up and lower any body roll there may be. If anyone got both kits, where from and your total minus the install?
Old 09-30-2017, 11:39 AM   #44
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
I'm looking to do the GM lowering kit with my 2SS as well. I'm also wanting to add the newer sway bars as well. Has anyone done this mod at the same time and what was your cost on both kits? I don't have the MRC but looking to firm things up and lower any body roll there may be. If anyone got both kits, where from and your total minus the install?
Check the "thatgmpartsguy" site. Should be around 1500 for both kits. For what it's worth, GM design both kits to work together for a handling upgrade, but offer them separately so folks can have a lower cost option to drop the ride height. This is per feedback from Al O and some of the chassis engineers at camaro fest.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:44 AM   #45
chozn4service

Appreciate the info on that! I figure and look to do them both at once. Was hoping having my buddies shop do install as to have the warranty but I really don’t trust a dealership even knowing about recocking the bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #46
V8RWD

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th
Finally took a side pic today. Shitty photo I know, it's a cell phone pic. It settled for about 3 months now, if you are a settling believer.
Attached Images

V8RWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:59 AM   #47
Bigdave18629

Drives: 2016 White 2SS Vert A8 Maggie S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Check the "thatgmpartsguy" site. Should be around 1500 for both kits. For what it's worth, GM design both kits to work together for a handling upgrade, but offer them separately so folks can have a lower cost option to drop the ride height. This is per feedback from Al O and some of the chassis engineers at camaro fest.
absolutely the way to go (my install was 650 non dealer)
Bigdave18629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:46 PM   #48
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
Unfortunately the lowering kit is not for the MRC.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #49
vtirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleil View Post
Unfortunately the lowering kit is not for the MRC.
They sell the 1LE suspension kit for the MRC cars though.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:55 PM   #50
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
Do you mean this one. TGMPG
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:50 PM   #51
vtirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleil View Post
Do you mean this one. TGMPG
Yes

Old 12-20-2017, 05:10 PM   #52
chozn4service

Okay I pulled the trigger on the new GM sway bar kit a couple of days ago from Matthew at ThatCamaroPartsGuy site and the price is right! I plan to get the GM lowering kit in a few weeks and be done with that. I priced it out at the GMPartsHouse as well as the GMPerformance site and Matthew's price beats them all. With the other two have a slightly lower price with free ship, ThatCamaroPartsGuy comes out to be $100 less which I'll take. I plan to order this within the next week or so and then have them both installed when the weather breaks.
I also spoke to the GM engineers at the PRI30 about the install and warranty and they said that the parts should be installed by the dealership to have warranty honored on the parts in case of a failure. I told them that most dealerships have no clue on recocking or timing the bushings and they said this was true, but have the dealership install the parts so they will be associated with the cars history and then have my own shop time the bushings and do the alignment, this way I'm comfortable knowing all that was done correctly or to my satisfaction.
The part number for the lowering kit is SKU:84188726
Old 12-21-2017, 04:53 PM   #53
Snrub

Drives: Gone: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8RWD View Post
Hi,

Primary reason for getting this is because in Ontario Canada, they passed a law that you cannot "modify" your car. It looks like our insurance companies can decline to have you on the policy. I believe the limit for suspension changes is +1 /-1 inch.. the GM kit drops 0.75 inch, which keeps it within reason.
I'm from Ontario as well. I'm not aware of any law, would you be able to point it out to me? What I am aware of is that auto insurance companies here typically prohibit vehicle modifications. Haggary classic car insurance is a notable exception. I'm not in favor of the policy, but it kind of makes sense if you think about it. Why would they want to insure a vehicle with unknown parameters? If it's unsafe and you kill or critically injure someone, they'd on the hook for paying out. By prohibiting all modifications they resolve the problem. I have to imagine this falls into a grey area as it's not technically from the factory, but it can be dealer installed on the order sheet.
Snrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #54
V8RWD

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub View Post
I'm from Ontario as well. I'm not aware of any law, would you be able to point it out to me? What I am aware of is that auto insurance companies here typically prohibit vehicle modifications. Haggary classic car insurance is a notable exception. I'm not in favor of the policy, but it kind of makes sense if you think about it. Why would they want to insure a vehicle with unknown parameters? If it's unsafe and you kill or critically injure someone, they'd on the hook for paying out. By prohibiting all modifications they resolve the problem. I have to imagine this falls into a grey area as it's not technically from the factory, but it can be dealer installed on the order sheet.
It turns out that I am yet another dumb ass on internet forum, spreading false rumors.

The whole confusion came about, when my brother with his modified S197 Mustang tried to change insurance companies earlier this year. Two insurance companies refused to insure him, or at least not without applying "high risk" rates, because his car was modified (lowered almost 2", exhaust, rims & tires). His driving record is perfect (last traffic violation ticket was in the 90s). He was informed this was because of a new law that was passed.

Source - http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/tru...n-standard.pdf

But you are right, after digging into it more... there is nothing specific that says the car cannot be lowered. Sadly there are lots of websites that spread this false rumor (like this https://www.change.org/p/kathleen-wy...oem-or-illegal).

What really bugs me are these insurance companies.. you would think out of all the people, they would know the traffic law best.
V8RWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:41 AM   #55
Snrub

Drives: Gone: 2017 Camaro SS
^ It's not a problem, I just wanted to make sure! The front line flunkies who provide quotes for insurance companies often seem to say odd things. Unless they present something in writing, it's not legitimate. As I suggested, I suspect the GMPP lowering kit might be okayish because it's on the order sheet and looks like factory parts. As in one would answer "no" when asked if their car is modified/customized. The risk is if you are involved in an accident and are then sued. Does the insurance company's inspection person notice/deem that your vehicle is modified? Should they decide your policy is invalided, you are on the hook for a couple million dollars. Insurance companies are in part a legitimized form of organized crime, so you can bet they will take any opportunity to deny coverage with a legitimate excuse.
Snrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:25 AM   #56
chozn4service

Finally got my GM Performance lowering kit installed about a month or so ago, along with the ZL1/1LE sways with end links and this is the best way to go, at least for me.

I have to say the ride quality is right on and the stance is perfect! After speaking with the GM/Chevy Engineers at PRI30 in December, they were the ones who suggested this kit and it only makes since. Before I use to lower my car with just springs and this kit comes with all new struts and shocks. To be lowered 7/8" on all four corners is PERFECT!!! Compressing the OEM shocks with other vendors coils will eventually wear those springs out sooner. The Engineers said this kit is made for this cars tuned suspension.

I couldn't be happier with what I have and it's money well spent. As they say, "Good iiish ain't cheap and cheap iiish ain't good!" You get what you paid for and to have this GM kit, you keep the warranty, quality and gain great looks and handling!
Attached Images