Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-21-2017, 05:08 AM   #1
R.C. Collins

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Carbon Fiber Hood Swap

I'm thinking of doing a C.F. hood swap. I'm not feeling the wrap. Looks kinda cheap on such a beautiful car. I want to keep the shape as close to stock as possible (no crazy hood scoops), and well fitted... no unsightly panel gaps or alignment issues. I found this one online:

http://www.mobbmotorsports.com/Produ...de=VIS-HD-9852

It looks well built, but has a glossy finish. Has anyone done a C.F. hood swap? I would like to see pics if you can.
R.C. Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Would look better if it wasnt so glossy. I always feel that high gloss CF, while it may look pretty, screams hard parker. Matte CF always looks more "race carish"
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:42 PM   #3
Yendor

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE Hyper Blue
I had one on my 5th Gen. I loved the way it looked. Looks like it is clear coated, so that saves a couple bucks. The only bad part is swapping over the windshield sprayers. Are the 6th gen ones attached to the hood? They don't usually drill those out, so you have to drill and dremel yourself. You want to talk about being nervous.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:18 PM   #4
Pablo 1LE

Drives: Porsche Cayman
If I was to do a hood swap, I think I would go with the ZL1 hood.
Pablo 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:28 PM   #5
R.C. Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick3 View Post
Would look better if it wasnt so glossy. I always feel that high gloss CF, while it may look pretty, screams hard parker. Matte CF always looks more "race carish"

I think it depends on your car's color. I have the Krypton Green, and it's very glossy, so maybe the glossy C.F. hood would match. That's why i was hoping to see pics for comparison.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:29 PM   #6
R.C. Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
I had one on my 5th Gen. I loved the way it looked. Looks like it is clear coated, so that saves a couple bucks. The only bad part is swapping over the windshield sprayers. Are the 6th gen ones attached to the hood? They don't usually drill those out, so you have to drill and dremel yourself. You want to talk about being nervous.
I need to look into that.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:35 PM   #7
R.C. Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo 1LE View Post
I love everything about the ZL1's bodywork, but i think it would look tacky using a ZL1 hood on a 1LE. I wish Chevy had used C.F. instead of the wrap.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #8
SaphfireSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE SS
Looks nice but you can't see the fibers in the pic. Would have to see it in person to approve but I think I'd rather it be matte on a 1LE. I actually love the oem look but cf would be cool and save weight up front. Wonder what the weight saving actually is.
SaphfireSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:04 PM   #9
R.C. Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaphfireSS View Post
Looks nice but you can't see the fibers in the pic. Would have to see it in person to approve but I think I'd rather it be matte on a 1LE. I actually love the oem look but cf would be cool and save weight up front. Wonder what the weight saving actually is.
Yep. Matte is better. I thought someone on the forum would've made the swap and had pics to show. Maybe one of the non-1LE members has.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:18 PM   #10
AD17SS1LE

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I have one, I didn't like the way the stock heat extractors worked. I also prefer gloss finish over the matte black. The fit is not perfect and I had to cut a notch near the hood latch so the hood will close. This hood extractor works much better. I got it from carid.com. https://www.carid.com/carbon-creatio...5&url=90792137
Attached Images

AD17SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:38 AM   #11
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo 1LE View Post
That wont work on the SS cars, the ZL1 hood, front fenders and nose would all have to be used in order for the hood swap to work. GM used a different shape on the ZL1 and it is not the same as the SS hood outline.

This has already been confirmed with Al and verified that there is no way for the ZL1 hood to work on the SS.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:46 AM   #12
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
One other aspect to think about, some cars may already have a RotoFab CAI, so its unknown if that CAI would seal properly with an after market hood.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:59 PM   #13
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD17SS1LE View Post
I have one, I didn't like the way the stock heat extractors worked. I also prefer gloss finish over the matte black. The fit is not perfect and I had to cut a notch near the hood latch so the hood will close. This hood extractor works much better. I got it from carid.com. https://www.carid.com/carbon-creatio...5&url=90792137
This right here!!! Love this hood, I think the C7 Vette style heat extractor looks perfect on our cars!
Old 07-25-2017, 04:09 PM   #14
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
That wont work on the SS cars, the ZL1 hood, front fenders and nose would all have to be used in order for the hood swap to work. GM used a different shape on the ZL1 and it is not the same as the SS hood outline.

This has already been confirmed with Al and verified that there is no way for the ZL1 hood to work on the SS.
He could just be saying that to keep it as a differentiating point to the ZL1. I know I would.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote