Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-22-2017, 06:46 PM   #1
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
ZL1 1LE- When can we get ahold of those DSSV's?

After watching the video today, Im absolutely floored at the performance of the ZL1 1LE.

I didnt own a 5th gen but could someone fill me in on how it worked with the Z28 package being released? Do you think GM will offer a similiar package for us SS and 1LE guys to swap?

If so, what was the time frame from Z28 release to release of the suspension package?
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
If history repeats itself, GM will offer a ZL1 1LE kit with everything (springs, shocks, seaybars). This is one reason I opted for the non-MRC shocks. I'm hoping within a year it's released. We'll see.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:38 AM   #3
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Did they offer adjustable spring rates? You will very likely need different spring rates if you are trying to use these on a regular SS compared to a ZL1.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:07 PM   #4
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
Did they offer adjustable spring rates? You will very likely need different spring rates if you are trying to use these on a regular SS compared to a ZL1.
That's a great point. I might just have to add a supercharger if they don't. LOL, not sure my wife will go for that excuse.

Anyway, I sure hope they do because I will probably jump on the DSSV train if they are not tooooo expensive and the kit offers a MRC defeat like the KW V3 does.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:22 PM   #5
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
Are the spring rates on the SS 1LE and base ZL1 the same?

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:53 AM   #6
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Hopefully theyll just release the shocks and struts/springs by themselves.

Shouldnt be mich an issue on the spring rates. The v6 1le uses fe3 ss springs.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #7
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
GM Performance Parts will be at CamaroFest next month.

Lots of good questions to get answers for very soon.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:58 PM   #8
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
The weight difference shouldn't be that much different since the new ZL1 1LE is about 70 lbs lighter than the ZL1 and with 19" wheels. However, the rear spring rates might be a bit stiffer since it has a wing. As I am planning to combine these DSSV suspension with very sticky rubber, having even higher spring rates is even beneficial
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:27 AM   #9
Buzzberd6

Drives: 2LT/1LE, HPCRX, F250(tow vehicle)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
Hopefully theyll just release the shocks and struts/springs by themselves.

Shouldnt be mich an issue on the spring rates. The v6 1le uses fe3 ss springs.
I know the V6 1LE has the same FE3 supension components as what comes on the SS model but for the life of me I can't see them leaving the same SS springs in the 1LE package. I know it's definitely possible but considering the weight difference between the two engines involved and their desire to have these the best handling versions of these cars to date I would hope not. This is something I've been wanting to research but not sure just where to look for that info.

I guess I could just have a GM parts guy look up the part number for some replacement springs (if available) and see if they're different.
Buzzberd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:16 AM   #10
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
It looks like they're just standard 2.5 ID race springs, so re-springing shouldn't be a problem if you wanted to tweak spring rates.
Attached Images

Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:34 PM   #11
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
It looks like they're just standard 2.5 ID race springs, so re-springing shouldn't be a problem if you wanted to tweak spring rates.
In chatting with a race shop (LGR) they mentioned GM generally makes only one spring rate per application. Isn't the spring rate primarily there to adjust ride height or is it critically important to match with valving? They said Moton might be a better option for a switch from mag due to the greater range of adjustment over all aspects.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:18 PM   #12
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OminouSS View Post
In chatting with a race shop (LGR) Isn't the spring rate primarily there to adjust ride height or is it critically important to match with valving? They said Moton might be a better option for a switch from mag due to the greater range of adjustment over all aspects.

Spring rates funcutions are for much more than ride heights. Spring length is more applicable for overall vehicle height. Spring rates biggest impact is related to dynamic handling. For instance, it is the spring rate that primarily dictates how much dive (front springs) there will be under heavy braking or how much load transfer (front to rear) happens when you're trying to accelerate out of a corner. Also, the damper's valving has a pretty wide window related to how much spring rate will work in any given application, so it isn't a big deal to change spring rates... I've done previously.

As for the race shop recommending Motons versus DSSV's. First off, just be mindful when taking advice from anyone that also sell parts... just putting that out there. Also, Motons are good race dampers, though adjustable parts are only as good as the person tasked with the adjustments. I've seen too many guys spend big $$ on adjustable race dampers to only end up with a car that is a hot mess dynamically because they get it to the track and are fighting the car and don't know what to change... and can't get the car to behave how they want. The DSSV's are absolutely state of the art technology (motons decidedly old school by comparison) that are designed specifically for our platform's most hard core track package. I'd also want to compare cost before deciding either way.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:46 PM   #13
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzberd6 View Post
I know the V6 1LE has the same FE3 supension components as what comes on the SS model but for the life of me I can't see them leaving the same SS springs in the 1LE package. I know it's definitely possible but considering the weight difference between the two engines involved and their desire to have these the best handling versions of these cars to date I would hope not. This is something I've been wanting to research but not sure just where to look for that info.

I guess I could just have a GM parts guy look up the part number for some replacement springs (if available) and see if they're different.
ive been working with Patrick at cultrag performance on stuff. they've been a HUGE help on cross referencing parts and getting me the correct stuff that's OEM parts. All the stuff I've added over the years. checking to see what fits and or supercedes previous part numbers. great people to deal with. that's who I'm goin through to get the 1LE springs which shipped today, should be here tomorrow. and also been working on finding what all parts are needed for the transmission cooler to retrofit it to a car without it.

I just checked with em today, not even 1 hour ago about the FEA suspension code (Fe2, Fe3, Fe4, and now FEA for the ZL1 1LE..) nothing out about it yet on the parts lookup they use from GM. I was actually checking to see if the lower links with spherical bearings are the same on the ZL1 1LE as the FE4 ZL1 and the 1LE packages.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #14
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
ive been working with Patrick at cultrag performance on stuff. they've been a HUGE help on cross referencing parts and getting me the correct stuff that's OEM parts. All the stuff I've added over the years. checking to see what fits and or supercedes previous part numbers. great people to deal with. that's who I'm goin through to get the 1LE springs which shipped today, should be here tomorrow. and also been working on finding what all parts are needed for the transmission cooler to retrofit it to a car without it.

I just checked with em today, not even 1 hour ago about the FEA suspension code (Fe2, Fe3, Fe4, and now FEA for the ZL1 1LE..) nothing out about it yet on the parts lookup they use from GM. I was actually checking to see if the lower links with spherical bearings are the same on the ZL1 1LE as the FE4 ZL1 and the 1LE packages.
That sounds really promosing... Please keep us updated.. Frankly, at least for us 1LE guys, we will need a package deal of some sort that will shut off the MR warnings. Im afraid that this package might only end up availible to guys with a 1SS/2SS without Mag ride.
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote