Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-27-2017, 02:03 PM   #15
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
After a lot of thought, I think I will go with a 2 nozzle setup. I will build a new throttle body spacer that will house a nozzle that sprays directly behind the throttle body. The other, I guess I will mount it at the exit of the intercooler.

I decided to do this because I had planned to run nitromethane in the mix at some point, and I would rather that spray as close to the intake manifold opening as possible.

So I have some options... I can run the mix with the nitromethane in it's own tank, and can run the mix without in it's own... Or I can spray the same mix through both nozzles... I'm not super worried about running out of "fuel", I bought a 2.5 gallon tank from Devil's own, and I have the stock 3 quart reservoir from Snow. If I ran 2 tanks, I would run the "fuel" tank as the 2.5 gallon, and the "cooling" mix in the 3 qt tank... That way if one runs out, the "cooling" tank will run out first, and the ECM will pull timing so nothing blows...
Or just run both nozzles off the same tank... W/ the 2.5 gallon tank, I don't think I'll be running out. Starting at 5gph spray, I could run the car for half an hour with the spray on... So figure 10 passes at the drag strip 20 seconds a pass (burnout, run, etc), I would only use appx 3.33 minutes worth of the tank capacity. Or maybe a 3rd nozzle, run the nitromethane in the small tank, the the meth/water in the big tank... HMMM

Sorry for rambling... So many options... Hmmm.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 06-27-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:26 PM   #16
Nate...

Drives: 2016 Camaro LTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
After a lot of thought, I think I will go with a 2 nozzle setup. I will build a new throttle body spacer that will house a nozzle that sprays directly behind the throttle body. The other, I guess I will mount it at the exit of the intercooler.

I decided to do this because I had planned to run nitromethane in the mix at some point, and I would rather that spray as close to the intake manifold opening as possible.

So I have some options... I can run the mix with the nitromethane in it's own tank, and can run the mix without in it's own... Or I can spray the same mix throw both nozzles... I'm not super worried about running out of "fuel", I bought a 2.5 gallon tank from Devil's own, and I have the stock 3 quart reservoir from Snow. If I ran 2 tanks, I would run the "fuel" tank as the 2.5 gallon, and the "cooling" mix in the 3 qt tank... That way if one runs out, the "cooling" tank will run out first, and the ECM will pull timing so nothing blows...
Or just run both nozzles off the same tank... W/ the 2.5 gallon tank, I don't think I'll be running out. Starting at 5gph spray, I could run the car for half an hour with the spray on... So figure 10 passes at the drag strip 20 seconds a pass (burnout, run, etc), I would only use appx 3.33 minutes worth of the tank capacity. Or maybe a 3rd nozzle, run the nitromethane in the small tank, the the meth/water in the big tank... HMMM

Sorry for rambling... So many options... Hmmm.
Love the idea! Sounds like a great setup, and a good way to help mitigate failure modes.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:32 AM   #17
Scubacat

Drives: 2014 Malibu LTZ 2.0T
Most of these systems have the option of being boost operated, coming on at a designated boost level. This should minimize pooling as there should be enough "blow" to force it in. If you make 20lbs peak boost and set it to come on starting at 10lbs, it seams to me that 10psi is still going to ram in anything sprayed in as you back off throttle. Personally, unless you are building for record setting HP or ET's, I think it's a worry about nothing.
Scubacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:35 AM   #18
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsunBob View Post
Placement is honestly a can of worms once you start digging. Ideally I'd inject at three locations
Here's a visual depiction of W/M injection on a SC diesel.
https://youtu.be/upSeQfRgkx0

Like someone has said. Unless you're competing for maximum gains I wouldn't over think the placement of the injectors and focus on the stepper modes/tune.
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #19
Jason@JacFab

Notice the placement of the bung that mishimoto has added on their cold side charge pipe? It's like right at the sensor.

/

Granted injection placement may not be as critical as I was making it out to be, probably don't want to blast right on the sensor?

I'm not looking to be the fastest LTG in the world but I do have goals. If optimal placement is better than "Any random placement", that's where I'd like it...

But for the mean time, just to get the ball rolling, if "anywhere" is as good as any, I machined a new charge pipe end with a flat area to tap the injector to start playing with the tune and stuff. I'll install "cooling" nozzle at the intercooler when I do the fmic. I have some of the parts to make the TB plate to house a primary injector, still need a couple more. But this will get me going

Pic shows a Devil's Own injector screwed
Into the machined charge pipe end, with a Devil's Own low profile "injector holder"...

I will be using the snow performance stage II progressive controller and pump, with the devils own nozzles and hardware. I didn't like a lot of the Snow hardware after coming across Devil's Own products, but I think I like the Snow controller better. I will start the progressive controller coming on at about 15psi to reach full blast by 20+...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2017, 05:40 PM   #20
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Notice the placement of the bung that mishimoto has added on their cold side charge pipe? It's like right at the sensor.
I concur. I would not want to hose down my IAT directly with water. What were they thinking... or 'engineering'...
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:35 AM   #21
DatsunBob

Drives: ATS 2.0t Rwd Performance
Thats a big negative on spraying the IAT. Besides the sensor's physical reaction to being soaked, it would alter the readings. It would be showing the temp of the water/meth when it has had very limited time out of the WI tank and not the air charge after mixing.

I have been researching as well, I'm really liking the Aquamist HFS-4 for the GM MAF. Great failsafes designed for DI engines.
DatsunBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:29 PM   #22
Jason@JacFab

Installing single nozzle spray this weekend??

Relocated T/MAP sensor farther away from the nozzle, nozzle will screw in below the weld on the bottom machined reducer. Spray orientation point the nozzle facing straight toward the front of the car, I figured this would be best for a more even distribution rather that spraying in from a side. Spray forward, and evenly roll it around the radius in the center.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:18 PM   #23
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Installing single nozzle spray this weekend??

Relocated T/MAP sensor farther away from the nozzle, nozzle will screw in below the weld on the bottom machined reducer. Spray orientation point the nozzle facing straight toward the front of the car, I figured this would be best for a more even distribution rather that spraying in from a side. Spray forward, and evenly roll it around the radius in the center.

I'm not following you. Draw a pic?
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:29 PM   #24
Jason@JacFab

Made some progress on the water/meth injection install today. Mounted 2.5 gal tank & pump, ran the meth line, to new charge pipe with injector bung and relocated sensor... Just need to wire in the controller, pump, and run boost signal hose.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:56 PM   #25
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Wow. Nice work. I really hope this turns out. Can't wait to see the end results. I'm pulling for you man. I've been thinking about this mod ever since I drove my car off of the lot.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #26
Jason@JacFab

Odds of having the car running this week are slim... Waiting on more parts from Snow, and fittings to tap into the boost line for boost reference. Also have to lengthen the wiring harness that came with the controller so I can mount it inside the cabin. Maybe next week?? Then back to tuning, then the race track again.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:29 PM   #27
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Quote:
Odds of having the car running this week are slim... Waiting on more parts from Snow, and fittings to tap into the boost line for boost reference. Also have to lengthen the wiring harness that came with the controller so I can mount it inside the cabin. Maybe next week?? Then back to tuning, then the race track again.

I want to learn more about this. The videos and how to's out there are sketchy though. I want to start rigging my car up for this at some point. Ordering parts, getting things into place, running lines, ect.. just have it as close to ready before taping into anything. Where do you tap into to get the boost reference? Are you going to do a write up for this when its all said and done?
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:32 PM   #28
Jason@JacFab

They definitely short change you on random fittings and stuff that you don't think about until you are installing it.

The wiring harness for the controller is only about maybe 2 feet long (in my case), which is fine if you want to mount it in the trunk, but then again, they only send you 18" of the high pressure boost reference tube...

Kits are still geared toward people that have a battery under the hood so everything they give you will reach...

I didn't want to mount it in the trunk because I didn't want to have a 2nd line (boost reference) running the length of the car... Wanted to mount it in the cabin so it's easy to get to, and shorter boost reference line. Really I think I only need to lengthen one wire on the harness. But we will see...

I have already tapped into the throttle body for a line to my analog boost gauge.

So I thought about it and thought I'd try just tee-Ing into that line to the gauge inside the cabin..

(See fitting in my hand w boost ref line in my fingers on barb fitting connected to compression T that will tap into existing line that i have already run for the gauge, water bottle propping up where the controller will mount.)