Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-12-2017, 04:36 PM   #15
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
I know , think this car, if it lives up to the hyp will do it for me on the Gen6 camaro line, or they have to make a sub 7.00min at the track car for me to come back and get 4th car.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:48 AM   #16
Bluecyclone

Drives: 2014 Cyclone mustang
Coyote Red in sport mode

I'm over building a & road pony and then "trading up", as I value my work. I built a Cyclone to be track ready then buy a 16 GT for better motor. That's my last trade, if I hit the lotto I'd buy a GT350, if not, I'll build my own project, thank you!
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2017, 02:29 PM   #17
Memphis

Drives: Bucket
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
And more news today, there is a NASA (retired) engineer out there that with his sound equipment came up with this, the new ZR1 is shifting at 9000 RPM, so this may not be that far out if its true.

found the link hope it ok to post.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2017/...ting-9000-rpms
That car is not spinning anywhere close to 9000rpm
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:32 PM   #18
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
I was posting info for all of use to see, lets see what they finally say it is, will know soon.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:07 AM   #19
GuywithL86

Drives: Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
But even while road racing...more torque down low makes up for the less shifting with a high rpm engine. Check out the Head-to-Head M6 v A10 ZL1 lap...the LT4 make so much torque, it could just run out the gears, even at lower rpms.

C7.R does damn well in competition with a 6000-some redline.

Typically, high torque engines are larger displacement, and have a lower relative redline. And a low-torque engine needs to spin higher to make up the performance, like the Voodoo engine in Mustang.

The LS7 was that "sweet spot", balancing high RPMs, with high torque. There hasn't been an engine since then that could do the same sort of thing.

You'll rarely find both in the same package...would be wicked if this "Spin Tron" was reliable.
It's not really the engine size to powerband relationship, it's the pushrods vs dohc relationship. Dohc is better in every way to pushrods in regards to powerband.

It's not the powerband that makes the small block gm so legendary, certainly not.

It's the efficiency, cost, weight, size, reliability, and total hp. If you factor all those in you could argue it's one of the greatest motors ever created. You take the same size motor and make it dohc, it will wreck the small block gm in the power department and power band.

Also having owned a coyote, an l86, and renting a camaro ss, I can say without a doubt the coyote is the superior sports car motor in regards to powerband. The only reason the lt1 works so well is because the chassis of the camaro and vette does an amazing job of putting all that torque to the ground. The difference in traction between the mustang and camaro and what happens when you put your foot to the floor from a standstill is just amazing. The camaro pulls so much harder from a stop. Get out on the open highway though, and the mustang feels just as fast, by comparison it feels like the camaro has a truck engine and completely runs out of steam up top. IMO best mods you can do to the lt1 allow more breathing up top get rid of the downward torque slope from 4500+
GuywithL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:55 AM   #20
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuywithL86 View Post
It's not really the engine size to powerband relationship, it's the pushrods vs dohc relationship. Dohc is better in every way to pushrods in regards to powerband.

It's not the powerband that makes the small block gm so legendary, certainly not.

It's the efficiency, cost, weight, size, reliability, and total hp. If you factor all those in you could argue it's one of the greatest motors ever created. You take the same size motor and make it dohc, it will wreck the small block gm in the power department and power band.

Also having owned a coyote, an l86, and renting a camaro ss, I can say without a doubt the coyote is the superior sports car motor in regards to powerband. The only reason the lt1 works so well is because the chassis of the camaro and vette does an amazing job of putting all that torque to the ground. The difference in traction between the mustang and camaro and what happens when you put your foot to the floor from a standstill is just amazing. The camaro pulls so much harder from a stop. Get out on the open highway though, and the mustang feels just as fast, by comparison it feels like the camaro has a truck engine and completely runs out of steam up top. IMO best mods you can do to the lt1 allow more breathing up top get rid of the downward torque slope from 4500+
Coyote swap into a Camaro sounds like what you're getting at :P
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:00 AM   #21
Slickcas

Drives: 12' 2SS/RS LS3 IBM
GM developed a LT 7.0L DI setup said to rev like the LS7. But could not get the power goals set forth. Think it was like 525 with just a bump in manufacturing cost over the LT1. So they do have it. Also the 5.5 ish LT Proto type was like a 8K +RPM with very aggressive top in power but lacking in low range. Whether it's true or not was said to be like an old 4.8 stroke with the 7.0 bore. The 7.0 heads let it breathe really at high rpm's.
Slickcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:06 PM   #22
Rusty35

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
I guess I don't really see the need to have something like this around. You can make a great bracket racer that only spins to 7k if you want. This is my favorite part of the article:

Thanks for sharing.
He mentions several times its about learning

"In the name of exploring the unknown and expanding industry knowledge"

"We’re essentially attempting a difficult project, just for the sake of it being difficult."
Rusty35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:32 PM   #23
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
Sorry but this has already essentially been done quite a few years ago by the NASCAR cup guys. Most if not all the major engine shops had 10,000 or 11,000 RPM valvtrain programs (they would get way into the 9,000's on race day before the rules backed them down). I'm all for RPM but the reality is more RPM translates into more maintenance 10 out of 10 times...
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:50 PM   #24
Quinten_33

Drives: Silverado
What about High RPM on the V6? If the turbo is going to be ignored and the ecoboost stang is getting more torque, why not commit to a rev-happy six and drop the four cylinder altogether? I've heard so many reviews and owners praising the V6's current feel and sound. Higher RPM would improve upon both. It currently redlines at 7000, and makes 335hp. Upping that redline to 8000 and upgrading a few things like the intake and throttle body would make for one heck of an engine. That could be making 375hp, which is as much as a Challenger R/T. Imagine an 8000 rpm engine with the ten-speed and NPP exhaust... WITH A 1LE PACKAGE! That's a BMW beater.

The V8 should stay OHV and torqey, just the way it has been for over 55 years. You cold start an LT1 and get goosebumps every time. It sounds so good and I've read that it feels good too. A higher redline on it would take away from the brutal low rpm torque that Chevy Small blocks are known for.
Quinten_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #25
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
In town there is an EFI school, and it run by a guy that was a pro stock driver, found this today on his work with comp cam and making an LS spin 11K and where there at now.

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/efi-u...ct-spinal-tap/
I've seen the video a few months ago when a fellow engine builder called me and we laughed.

What they really need to focus on is if the Head can also support the FLOW at such High-REV rpms.

You guys really need to stop by some of the NASCAR-level engine builders some time. High-revving SBC's are and have been the staple in both Busch Car and NASCAR Racing for years.

What the video doesn't show you is the "Dark-Work or "secret" stuff they're putting out for the current U.S. Teams.

There's behind the scenes "R&D" everyday, when U.S. race teams have advanced to something new, their old trick stuff trickles down and becomes the latest New stuff. Thus a new youtube video is born...lol

If you want to have fun like I do just try to pull out HP gains WITHOUT modifying your Factory Stock Car. That takes tenacity, more skill, and thinking out-of-the-box than just buying, adding, buying, adding parts.

IMHO, current today's ZL1 fast runners are only using existing "Dark-Work" and rarely inventing new break throughs.

Btw, Doesn't anyone remember NHRA Stock-based Classes and what "Grumpy" Jenkings did with a SBC?

Last edited by PinHead; 08-10-2017 at 06:17 PM.
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:04 PM   #26
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Btw, one of Grump's high revving SBC was only a 331cid with OVER 2HP BHP PER Cubic In OUTPUT with a Cast Iron Factory Block.....lol
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 12:48 AM   #27
1998Z28

Drives: 98 Z28 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deakins View Post
Sorry but this has already essentially been done quite a few years ago by the NASCAR cup guys. Most if not all the major engine shops had 10,000 or 11,000 RPM valvtrain programs (they would get way into the 9,000's on race day before the rules backed them down). I'm all for RPM but the reality is more RPM translates into more maintenance 10 out of 10 times...
More maintenance, probably, but a street driven car is not going to be buzzing around at 9,000 rpm all the time. If we drove around at redline in anything, I'm sure we'd see more problems.
1998Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:16 AM   #28
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
waterman is offline   Reply With Quote