Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-28-2017, 09:35 AM   #1
Sidedraft

Drives: Jeep Wrangler
Question Why the ZL1 1LE might be a good thing for a future Z/28

Now that the news is out and the speculation about the prototype car is over, what can the ZL1 1LE announcement tell us about a (potential) future Z/28? The biggest assumption being that there will be a Z/28 for this generation -- but if there is I don't expect it to slot into the same spot in the lineup as it did for the 5th generation.

The best thing I took from the announcement of the ZL1 1LE is that it's going to be an option package for the base ZL1. This means dealers aren't going to be forced to order a high-priced, over-the-top track toy that might sit on their lots for a long time. But for prospective buyers that are in that market, they'll just need to tick the 1LE check box on the ZL1 during ordering. It's a win all around -- Chevrolet gets their magazine race car, dealers aren't left holding the bag if they don't sell, people that don't want the track bits can opt for the base ZL1, and people that will actually use the car as intended will enjoy one hell of a track car.

As a Z/28 "purist", I'm pleased that the badge isn't going on this car -- even though for all intents and purposes I believe this is the 6th generation answer to the 5th generation Z/28. But I've always considered the 5th generation Z/28 to be an aberration in that the content delivered on that car was over-the-top to compensate for the shortcomings of the Zeta platform.

So what does the ZL1 1LE mean for any potential Z/28 successor? If you subscribe to the notion that the 5th gen Z/28 was not an aberration and that any future Z/28 must be the top performing variant (and potentially the most expensive), then I don't think you'll see a 6th gen Z/28. I don't see how any N/A car that can meet emissions is going to make up for a 100-120+ HP shortfall in comparison to the ZL1 1LE. If it does, you can certainly expect it to cost an inordinate amount of money and be pretty much useless on the street.

I don't think that will happen, though. I don't think there is a market for Camaros above where the ZL1 1LE is going to sit, and I expect that if we do get a Z/28 this gen that it will slot below the ZL1 in the lineup. I'm hoping for something as close to a spiritual successor to the first generation Z/28, and the rumors of a new DOHC LT5 seem to fit that ideal. But the most promising thing to me is that Chevrolet has seen fit to package all of their track variants into the 1LE package, and this might mean that any Z/28 for this gen doesn't have to come out of the gate with all the track bits baked into the base car. We could get a base Z/28, that's still capable, unique and lives up to the spirit of the badge, and a Z/28 1LE with all the track goodies for people who demand it.

What form do you think a 6th gen Z/28 will take?
Sidedraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:52 AM   #2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidedraft View Post

What form do you think a 6th gen Z/28 will take?
I would suggest it will take the form similar to the COPO drag car program.

Built for track only, a variety of N/A crate engines to choose from, non-street legal, limited production....Price not an issue....Similar to the GT4 cars that meet specs for racing circuits...

A street-legal version that could out perform the ZL1-1LE at the track would be too expensive for any showroom, besides there being no legal unique power-plant available.....

Besides, if they built a street legal Z/28 of some type now, no one would buy it. The purists would have to wait for the "Z/28 1LE" to be offered...lol...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:28 AM   #3
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Me personally with the announcement of the new ZL1 1LE, I really don't see how any N/A camaro will out perform it. That leaves me with the thought of where does it fit in the model line up?
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:39 AM   #4
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
I'm afraid that this car means that the Z/28 badge is buried for the 6th generation. By adding the track goodies to the supercharged car, there just isn't anywhere for them to go with it, following the precedent of the 5th gen.

The only thing I could see them possibly doing is offering this exact car, chassis, suspension, aero and all with the N/A LT1 engine, kind of like they are doing with the Grand Sport Corvette. However, what would that mean for the SS 1LE?

I guess the other option is to offer this car, void of the creature comforts and what not, and call that the Z/28 option package, maybe special order only? But I don't really see that happening.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #5
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
Look at what Chevy brought to Nurburging.. they brought the ZL1 and the ZL1 1LE. Nothing else.

There's no 6th gen Z/28.
It's dead Jim.

You might see some tweaks to the lineup, but overall this is it for the 6th gen.

Base/LT/1LE(v6):
Turbo 4
V6

SS/1LE
V8 - LT1

ZL1/ZL1 1LE
SC/V8 - LT4

The only question out there is where the LT5 will go, most speculate it will go into the mid-engine Vette.

This is what we got from GM, and we should be happy.

I would think the board will change the forum header to ZL1/1LE before long.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:58 AM   #6
Whitemaro6

Drives: 16 Summit white, Ceramic white 2SS
I think this leaves the door open for enthusiasts to make their own z/28 out of the 6th gen. Yes it wont be a lineup car but i'm ok with that. I plan on tuning my ss into a track car and slapping the z28 on their for shits and giggles. Full bolt on lt1, zl1 1le wing, zl1 recaros, 5th gen z28 wheels and tires, bmr suspension, 6 pistons, stillen aero, wrap the mirrors and roof. Boom! Just add money z/28
Whitemaro6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:02 PM   #7
cmancha003

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #1097
I think the idea is that there is a 20k difference between a ss 1le and the zl1 so there is room. What can be done to make it not an ss variant like the 1le is? Different engine? Widebody like the zl1? Would the LT5 be enough to justify a 10k increase over the SS 1LE?

Ultimately, perfect world, and assuming we will get a Z/28, I think it would be this:
SS 1LE interior, ZL1 1LE rear seats, ZL1 1LE "widebody" and suspension, LT5 engine with around 500 hp.
cmancha003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #8
Sidedraft

Drives: Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmancha003 View Post

Ultimately, perfect world, and assuming we will get a Z/28, I think it would be this:
SS 1LE interior, ZL1 1LE rear seats, ZL1 1LE "widebody" and suspension, LT5 engine with around 500 hp.
I was actually thinking of a package similar to this for a 6th gen Z/28 earlier today. I think this would slot nicely between the SS 1LE and the base ZL1. Would also give market segmentation similar to the competition:

SS - Z/28 - ZL1
GT - GT350 - GT500/Mach 1
R/T - 392 - Hellcat
Sidedraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #9
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Me personally with the announcement of the new ZL1 1LE, I really don't see how any N/A camaro will out perform it. That leaves me with the thought of where does it fit in the model line up?
Does it need to outperform it?

I'd love to see a nasty NA setup. As long as it's cheaper, I could see a $49,995 starting z/28 or similar that could be optioned out to 60k.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:36 PM   #10
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
Does it need to outperform it?

I'd love to see a nasty NA setup. As long as it's cheaper, I could see a $49,995 starting z/28 or similar that could be optioned out to 60k.
Me personally I don't think it would have too. My personal opinion is that the 5th gen car while it did nail the spirit of the car by making the focus handling also kind of put it in a odd spot in the lineup.

The only thing in that price range I see being a potential hiccup would be does it offer enough of a performance increase over the SS 1LE to justify the cost and is it not enough to make buyers say guess Ill jsut spend some extra and go ZL1
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 02-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #11
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
If they can build a mid $50k Z/28 with a N/A motor and all of the go fast and no frills, I think there certainly people who would buy them. If the LT5 comes to fruition, an extreme diet and all of the go fast parts would entice track rats a lot. Many people still will not want the LT4. Or heated/cooled seats. The mid $50k price point does not a performance model in it. It's an optioned 2SS at the high $40k to low $50k mark. Then it jumps to mid $60k for a ZL1. This is where the Z/28 needs to slot in even if it isn't faster than the ZL1 1LE. IMO
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:38 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
The only thing I could see them possibly doing is offering this exact car, chassis, suspension, aero and all with the N/A LT1 engine, kind of like they are doing with the Grand Sport Corvette. However, what would that mean for the SS 1LE?
In my opinion...that IS the SS/1LE...

What they've done with this car...is solidify the 1LE moniker as a track-oriented package for ALL Camaros...similar to the Z07 package on Corvette. Only, Camaro team has been allowed to be far more creative with the suspension.

In Corvette world...you can choose from 3 models (Stingray, GS, Z06), and 2 of the three allow for the addition of a track package (Z07).

In Camaro world...you can choose from 3 models (LT, SS, ZL1), and all three offer a track package (1LE).
Old 02-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #13
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
If they can build a mid $50k Z/28 with a N/A motor and all of the go fast and no frills, I think there certainly people who would buy them. If the LT5 comes to fruition, an extreme diet and all of the go fast parts would entice track rats a lot. Many people still will not want the LT4. Or heated/cooled seats. The mid $50k price point does not a performance model in it. It's an optioned 2SS at the high $40k to low $50k mark. Then it jumps to mid $60k for a ZL1. This is where the Z/28 needs to slot in even if it isn't faster than the ZL1 1LE. IMO
But would they be able to put the "LT5" and all the go fast goodies in the car for that 50K price point? That is the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
In my opinion...that IS the SS/1LE...

What they've done with this car...is solidify the 1LE moniker as a track-oriented package for ALL Camaros...similar to the Z07 package on Corvette. Only, Camaro team has been allowed to be far more creative with the suspension.

In Corvette world...you can choose from 3 models (Stingray, GS, Z06), and 2 of the three allow for the addition of a track package (Z07).

In Camaro world...you can choose from 3 models (LT, SS, ZL1), and all three offer a track package (1LE).

Agreed. It seems for the 6th gen they have just about every base covered. Would they really need a 4th track oriented model?
Old 02-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Agreed. It seems for the 6th gen they have just about every base covered. Would they really need a 4th track oriented model?
If you want to expand the reach a bit...the ground Camaro covers is truly impressive...because outside of the showroom, they also build COPO dragsters, and now the GT4.R.