Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

AWE Tuning

Old 12-01-2017, 07:47 PM   #85
dakota_c69

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 50th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE801 View Post
...because the car just wants to keep revs too low for fuel and its annoying...
This the reason I like a manual transmission over an automatic. I like to decide what rpm range I am in at any given speed or situation.

Plus, it is more fun.

If I had it to do over again, I would have waited for the 2SS 1LE.
dakota_c69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:56 PM   #86
NCSD

Drives: Nightfall, 2SS, A8, MRC, NPP,RE-71R
A8 again? I'd probably go with an M6 or A10 if I did it again.

It was great on local mountain roads and a great dual purpose transmission, but I didn't like the way it worked at a trackday or autocross. (disclaimer) I'm not a trackday or autocross expert. It just seemed off to me. In full auto mode it didn't stay in the RPM range that I would have normally driven in (unless I manually shifted it). I grew up riding motorcycles and the A8 just didn't seem like it was in the right gears at the right time to me. Maybe I've been doing it wrong all these years. Could be.

But if an A10 becomes available for an SS or 1LE, Id take a chance on an A10. Too much traffic in San Diego for M6. Overall the A8 was pretty good driving at 7/10ths or less, anything above that seemed off. If you drive the car under 7/10ths its fine. I think the M6 would give more control and be more predictable in my (old timer) opinion.

Last edited by NCSD; 12-01-2017 at 08:23 PM.
NCSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:38 PM   #87
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota_c69 View Post
This the reason I like a manual transmission over an automatic. I like to decide what rpm range I am in at any given speed or situation.

Plus, it is more fun.

If I had it to do over again, I would have waited for the 2SS 1LE.
You can do the same thing by putting the A8 in manual mode. You can also pull the shifter back and the A8 drops right into the optimal gear.

The A8 is also much better with a good tune. The stock tuning is based around tree huggers.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:57 PM   #88
exxit

Drives: 2016 1SS D1SC Methfed Lowered Wrapd
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiGiam View Post
Amen. My 16 has been a pain in the ass. A8 has been flushed, torque converter changed, exhaust npp rattle, driver seat tearing apart up top, window condensation crap, a/c linakge stuck on heat in the middle of summer(whole dash had to be tore apart and now rattles like a bitch). Just too many damn issues with this Gen. The 19 will have to have a power bump and an A10 1LE option or this will be my last Camaro.
Shit you named my issues one by one aside from the A8 problem since I'm m6. The AC seems to have settled down recently but my rpm meter still bounces from time to time... Had to have my 900 dollar option (npp) fkin super glued (epoxy whatever). Driver seat has this plastic lip or someshit that doesn't sit properly. Its almost like the seat cover is just a tad bit too tight there.

I don't fuss because I plan on changing the seats eventually when a deal or wreck comes by but still....
// 3M/Gotch Design Sponsored Gloss Deep Space Colorshift Wrap //
exxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:34 PM   #89
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
If we knew when the A10 would roll out for the normal SS, I think I would've waited for it. The A8 is "fine" but that A10 is getting highly positive reviews as the ZL1 reviews come in.

If I didn't have the friend hookup through my neighbor, I would likely have stretched for a used GT-R or 911 4S. But the deal I got on my 2SS was too good to pass up.
Just a few months later, I am going to switch to saying that I think I would rather have a manual right now for everything other than straight line runs and traffic.

I know now that I would be having more fun in a stick BUT I want to make clear that my situation has changed dramatically. I moved to an area with laughable traffic and have since added a Procharger.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #90
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Okay I live in the boonies and drive fast on very open roads with little traffic for long distances. I don't like the automatic for commuting because it must be shifted manually for optimal economy. If you take the car to 120mph and try to cruise it will downshift to 5th or 6th gear and just stay there. It can do 120mph in 8th gear just fine but unless you put it in full manual mode it will keep dropping down to 6th at speed everytime the wind blows or you go up a little rise on the landscape and it will not go back into 8th gear at those speeds. Its funny because I had a 2014 stingray with a 6 speed auto and when you put it in eco mode it would leave the car in high gear and cruise at speed but this Camaro thinks if you want to go more than 100mph you want to burn gas. I kind of wish I had the manual.... The auto is great at the drag strip but is not smart enough to get any economy while driving like you want to get somewhere.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:54 AM   #91
Kamaro223
Kamaro223

Drives: 2016 RS/LT Camaros
Manual for me since my A8 is a piece of junk that no one will fix because all my issues "can't be reproduced" or "are normal".
Old 12-18-2017, 12:37 PM   #92
PackersFan26

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
bought a manual and would buy another one in a heartbeat. I dont see myself ever owning an automatic race car.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:41 PM   #93
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
I'm very surprised, the A8 is PLAQUE with torque converter, AFM issues! Every damn day, someone on FB is complaining about the shudder. I mean combine the issues known on the forums, social media from the C7's A8, the ratio is at least 4/10 that's having torque converter issues.

And GM's "band aid" fix of flushing it per TSB is such BS. More than half will come back after the flush for a new torque converter.. And who knows how long the new torque converter will hold up before the "shudder" will rear it's ugly face.

I test drove an A8 and it's a fine transmission so not hating at all from me. I have an M6 for two years with zero issues and most of the M6 has no problems as well.. I just feel bad for those that have an A8 and dealing with the known issues.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote