Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-05-2017, 08:11 PM   #1
77vetter

Drives: 17 Red Hot RS Convertible
Trailer Hitch?

Anyone install a receiver trailer hitch on their Camaro? I want to install one only to be used to hold a bike carrier. We like to take bikes with us when we go on trips and hope to do so with the Camaro. Any pics would be appreciated, I dont want the hitch visible if possible.
77vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:12 PM   #2
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77vetter View Post
Anyone install a receiver trailer hitch on their Camaro? I want to install one only to be used to hold a bike carrier. We like to take bikes with us when we go on trips and hope to do so with the Camaro. Any pics would be appreciated, I dont want the hitch visible if possible.
Topics been tackled a few times here. Here's a link to one of the latest discussions. To directly answer your questions, I had the Camaro accessory hitch installed on my car and often carry a bike or two using a Thule platform carrier.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...=Trailer+hitch
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:25 PM   #3
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:51 PM   #4
Triple D

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Hyper Blue
eTrailer.com sells the Curt hitch and provides a video for a step-by-step installation. Even though the installation is considered difficult, I had to do almost the same installation on my Volvo wagon and was able to complete the install in a little over one hour. Cost is about $117 shipped to you.
Triple D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:22 AM   #5
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack46 View Post
Oh hell yes.

All of my cars get this. Nothing better than having your cake and eating it too.

Attached Images

JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:18 AM   #6
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
In my ZL1 owners manual, it specifically calls out that this car was not set up for a hitch of any type. So I welded a fifth wheel receiver to the roof.(not)
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:26 AM   #7
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post
In my ZL1 owners manual, it specifically calls out that this car was not set up for a hitch of any type. So I welded a fifth wheel receiver to the roof.(not)
Which is BS because the chassis is the same and this is for bike-racks only.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:23 AM   #8
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
From the 2017 Camaro Owner's Manual. Same manual for all trim levels. 5th gens were able to do some towing.
Name:  towing.jpg
Views: 2736
Size:  98.9 KB

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:34 PM   #9
77vetter

Drives: 17 Red Hot RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Topics been tackled a few times here. Here's a link to one of the latest discussions. To directly answer your questions, I had the Camaro accessory hitch installed on my car and often carry a bike or two using a Thule platform carrier.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...=Trailer+hitch
Great, thanks for the info! I figured there would be a discussion, sorry about not checking first.

I have installed a receiver style hitch on my CRV and it was pretty easy for the most part so assuming this will be as well! Cant wait for spring so I can try it out!
77vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:36 AM   #10
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
you all do know that the bike rack is a factory option. it is a hitch and the rack goes into it. Car is not meant for towing with the hitch. the reciver is 1.25" not 1" or 2" like standard receivers.
https://accessories.chevrolet.com/pr...tegoryId=12001
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:01 AM   #11
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
you all do know that the bike rack is a factory option. it is a hitch and the rack goes into it. Car is not meant for towing with the hitch. the reciver is 1.25" not 1" or 2" like standard receivers.
Well, yes....dealer installed accessory though, not a factory option. That's how I had mine added. And yes, it is a 1-1/2" receiver. Important when shopping for racks.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:27 AM   #12
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
1.25 is a standard size. 1.25 and 2" are the standard sizes. It's just not for towing, it's for a bike rack.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:58 AM   #13
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
o ya class 2 is 1.25 i was thinking it was 1"
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:32 PM   #14
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
I look at this the same way as pulling a trailer with a motorcycle. True, my Gold Wing was "neither designed nor intended to tow a trailer", but it can do so safely and has done so very well for about 10K miles.

If you think it through, keep it to a small mass and check it often, you'll be fine pulling a trailer with our Gen6's.....When driven reasonably.
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote