Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
BlackieRay

Drives: 2002 WS6
What would you do if someone was firebombing your house?

In Canada we arrest the victim because he tried to defend himself. Scroll down and watch the security footage:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/01...ked-attackers/
BlackieRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i would FUBR their ass.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
the Kolektor
Patiently waiting....

Drives: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Thats bullshit!! He home and property are being attacked and he isn't able to protect it?? Thats crap! I would have done the same thing... Except they wouldn't be walking away.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Absurd. Canada has some nice folks, but their government, dare I say, is sometimes more screwed up than the U.S. government rules/regs. I'd definitely lobby for the "Castle Doctrine". It's stupid to charge someone for defending their property.

Here in SC, they don't even have to be inside your home, just on your property and you can drop them like a bag of potatoes for something like this. Also, the castle doctrine applies to your vehicle as well. For example, if someone tries to carjack you, or get in your car, you can blow them away, no problem.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
the Kolektor
Patiently waiting....

Drives: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
Absurd. Canada has some nice folks, but their government, dare I say, is sometimes more screwed up than the U.S. government rules/regs. I'd definitely lobby for the "Castle Doctrine". It's stupid to charge someone for defending their property.

Here in SC, they don't even have to be inside your home, just on your property and you can drop them like a bag of potatoes for something like this. Also, the castle doctrine applies to your vehicle as well. For example, if someone tries to carjack you, or get in your car, you can blow them away, no problem.
Amen to that.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
okyankee

Drives: 2010 SILVERADO
here in ok, we got the "make my day" and "stand your ground" laws. which gives you the right to protect yourself, family and property. where ever you feel there is a threat.
okyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Thank God for Ohio castle law.

2 in the chest, one in the head. No questions asked.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:12 AM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Odd that I haven't heard about this in the local news. This happened ~45 minutes away from where I live. Oh well.

Here are the important bits, with regard to the law:
Quote:
Canada allows people to claim self-defence for using force, including guns, to protect their life as long as the force is reasonable and they believe they have no other options.
“If the public are wondering can you run out of your house and [fire a handgun at an intruder], the bottom line is, according to the laws of Canada, no, you can’t,”
Based on that, I'd say there are a few questions that should be addressed:

Could he have harmed anyone (besides the 3 arsonists) by firing his gun?
If he was able to run out of his house, was his life in danger (thus making use of a lethal weapon reasonable)?
Was there another quick and effective way he could have dispersed the attackers without resorting to the use of a gun?

I'm inclined to think the answer to the first two is no, and the third is an unknown. But I'd like to believe that the court will understand why he did what he did, and since nobody was harmed because of it, nothing will result. On the other hand, if he had killed one of the arsonists, or worse ... an innocent bystander with a stray bullet, things would be much more complicated.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:30 AM   #9
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Considering how he was a former firearms instructor, I'd say he was proficient enough with his weapon to avoid any collateral damage.

That said, I think it's absolutely ridiculous that he should be charged with a crime for protecting his own property. I sure as hell wouldn't cower under my bed hoping the mean men go away which is apparently what the law in Canada expects you to do.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:48 AM   #10
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
I love Texas laws.I would have had to call the police,just to have them send the meat wagon

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:12 AM   #11
TJTKSDMJ8
I COMMAND YOU TO HOOK 'EM

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS2/RS R6P
And that, is why, I have a Blue Tactical Model 870 with a collapsible stock and a pistol grip loaded with 3 Buckshot and 2 slugs nestled under my bed.

C5 Veterans know why I need that one....
Old 01-24-2011, 04:57 AM   #12
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
I hate to say it, but NJ is the worst. If this happened in NJ, the attackers would sue to land owner and win...

I think the camera footage will prove the man innocent.

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Considering how he was a former firearms instructor, I'd say he was proficient enough with his weapon to avoid any collateral damage.
I'd say it depends on the conditions at the time. If the only people in the area were him and the arsonists, and it was in the middle of the day, yeah chances are pretty much 0 he might have inadvertently hit someone else. But if other people live in the area and it was at night so he couldn't see much beyond his own property, chances go up substantially (though admittedly, they're still low). Without knowing one way or the other, I wouldn't make a definitive claim

That said, I think it's absolutely ridiculous that he should be charged with a crime for protecting his own property. I sure as hell wouldn't cower under my bed hoping the mean men go away which is apparently what the law in Canada expects you to do.
You can defend yourself with 'appropriate force' but the question becomes, what would be 'appropriate force' in that situation? What he did can be viewed in 2 ways: he used a lethal weapon in a non-life threatening situation (he was outside of his house and therefore safe from the fire), some will see that as an inappropriate use of force. On the other hand, he intentionally avoided causing harm to them despite using a gun, which most would see as entirely appropriate, given the circumstances.
The way I see it, he was arrested on a technicality and even though he did violate the law, I don't believe that the spirit of the law is to convict people who are defending themselves in extreme circumstances. I'm pretty sure it's to keep people from firing guns without purpose
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #14
GSUNCSU
Watch This!

Drives: Super Charged 1SS/RS, M6, CGM
Bottom Line is these perps were using (not just threatening) deadly force, I would do my best to bring large amounts of chaos upon them and drop them in their tracks. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. And in this part of the world, you'd probably get an award instead of arrested.
K&N CAI, Wet Okole Seat Covers, MagnaFlow Street Perf. Ex. (Axle Back), MPD Hood, Gary's Customz ZL1 Fascia/Vented Fenders/Custom Stripes/Paint, AAC Afterburners/Fog Light Halos/Side Markers/Misc LEDs, Bee-Otch Air Freshener, Hurst Shifter and Line-Loc(APEX), RPI Splash Guards, MagnaCharger (Texas-Speed)(Installed by ME), Rx Catch Can and Breather, Billet Pulleys (SC2150), ARH Headers, LPE Twin Fuel Pump, Custom Blower Cam, Custom Tune TBArwhp, TBArwtorq, Boost Gauge and Single Pod (MTI)
GSUNCSU is offline   Reply With Quote