Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
Recommend Car to Replace Buick Rendezvous?

I'm helping my parents get a new car. My mom loves her Buick Rendezvous, but at 156k miles, I don't want to have to work on it.

Cost is NOT a concern, but my mother doesn't care much about cars or performance or anything else, so don't suggest a Mazerati. She will not drive a van, and does not want to feel like she's driving a truck/SUV but likes the car-based SUVs. a 3rd row is a huge plus since she likes to drive around the grand kids, but may be worth considering something without it if everything else is good.

I thought the Dodge Journey would be a great replacement, but I took her to look at them and she thought they looked to "kiddish". I agree with her. The interior doesn't look like the kind of car a 75 year old would drive. More like a 25 year old with kids who is denial that they should have a van.

I glanced at the Jeep Cherokee, but it even looks more "kiddish" than the Journey. She liked my old Patriot. I don't know what the heck Dodge is smoking to create those awful interiors on the new cars.

My dad would love for her to have AWD. He drives a 2013 Cadillac XTS AWD.

There doesn't seem to be much out there. Most of the SUVs are too big, and the car based SUVs are too small. I'm thinking I may be stuck working on that rendezvous for the next 10 years, but if anyone has any other ideas, let me know.
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
doesn't buick make a similar boring looking cuv still? might be your best bet
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Hamilton2400

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra/2015 GMC Acadia
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  113.2 KBSounds like the gmc Acadia would be right for this situation.
Hamilton2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
If she is not set on domestics, a Subie would be a good choice. For more cash, a BMW or Mercedes, but only if she is going to get rid of it after 5 years.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Equinox/Terrain/SRX or Traverse/Acadia/Enclave. All available with AWD.

There's also the Encore if she wants to downsize.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
+1 for the Acadia
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Our Flex drives more like a tall car than an SUV... that's one thing the wife doesn't like about it... she want to sit up higher and likes the Truck/SUV more. The Flex has been a great vehicle even though i've beat on it horribly... not sure what the new Flexes interiors are like. For road trips the Flex has been the best vehicle i've ever owned...

Been kind of thinking of replacing it.... toying with the new Dodge Durango or a new Explorer... Haven't looked at the Durango in person, but did take a 2014 Explorer out for a test drive.... had a very nice interior... Hoping to get some time to check out the Durango soon...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
+1 for the Acadia
Liked our Acadia... wife likes that she sat higher than our Flex. However we fell victim to the stretched timing chain issue.... two sets of chains in 82,000 miles... While I have no reason to think GM hasn't resolved the issue with the 3.6, i'm still leery of of it... So the Acadia is on my list of possible replacement for the Flex, but i would need to do some more digging before I bought another one...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
It may be a little small but the buick Encore looks pretty good to me.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #10
IBM

Drives: '11 2LT/RS IBM
My first thought was traverse or Enclave.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #11
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
Y'alls are mentioning a bunch of cars I've never even heard of... lol.

My dad prefers luxury cars. My father does 3 year leases on luxury cars- he had a Cadillac STS-V, a Cadillac DTS, a Mercedes E350, and now a Cadillac XTS. Money is not an issue for them whatsoever, although the reason they have money is because my mother is the cheapest person you ever met and doesn't like spending more than you have to.

We'll check out the Traverse, Enclave. I think the Arcadia is probably too SUVish. They like the space of the SUV but my mothers exact words were that she "hates any car I feel like I have to climb in and out of", but we'll check it out while we are out. We may look at Ford, but our family has a completely irrational and unwarranted dislike for Ford... but in the mid 2000s when I bought a Ford F150, they were clearly the best truck, (not so anymore). If the Flex is "clearly the best solution" then it may be worth consideration.

They had it in their head that Domestics were awful files of trash, but I've changed their minds on Dodge, Jeep, and Chevy after owning almost 50 vehicles, most domestics. I never took the time to change their minds about Ford.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations!
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)

Last edited by Arachnyd; 12-19-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #12
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Acadia is more or less the same car as Traverse and Enclave. They're all Lambda CUVs. Just different design.

I mean does it have to be an SUV/CUV? Impala offers a generous amount of interior and trunk space.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The Cadillac SRX might be what they're looking for if they want something with luxury & space, but isn't gargantuan. And they seem to have a fondness for Cadillacs. However, if they want something with tons of room and/or 3 rows of seating its automatically out.

My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
If third row is not critical, Ford Edge. My wife has one, drives like car great ride lots of room inside good gas mileage.

Exuinox is another to consider, we drove one before looking at something just a bit bigger.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote