Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-16-2017, 01:31 PM   #1
1CEBITN

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Vert w/2SS
Anyone use Savvy module with their V1?

Since I have a vert I can't hardwire via mirror tap or the like to the overhead console, that is one big plastic piece that makes up the headliner and the console doesn't seem to separate from it. Looks like a real PIA to get to the airbag wire. Not interested in taking the lower center console apart to tap into the underside of the cigarette lighter either. It sounds like there is a purple/green wire under the dash that I may be able to tap into but nobody really knows what that goes to. So I started looking at the Savvy module to go with my V1 instead. It just plugs into the OBD2 port and you power the detector from there along with controlling what speed you start getting alerts on the detector (under 30 mph no beeps for example). Anyone messed with that with good or bad results? Seems like a decent way to get that thing powered up. Only downside is OnStar can't pull advanced diagnostics but I don't really think that's a big deal. I can always pull it out and have them re-run it if necessary and I don't plan to pay for OnStar when my trial is over anyway.
1CEBITN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
mondelo

Drives: 2017 2SS
I just purchased the SAVVY yesterday. Should be here by end of week and I'll report back here.

Did not know that a hardwire to the rearview mirror was an option. Do you have any info you can point me to for that?

Still think that the benefit of being able to 'silence' under a certain MPH is worth the 69$ or so
mondelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:25 PM   #3
1CEBITN

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Vert w/2SS
Cool, I'll be interested in reading your thoughts when you get it. For the verts that hardwire into the overhead console looks to be a real PIA because our headliner is one big plastic piece that runs the length of the windshield. In the hardtops that overhead console pops out so you can get to the purple/white wire that powers the passenger airbag light. Tap into that with your positive and the black with your negative and you'd be good to go. Several posts, this one has decent writeup and picks of that.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...hardwire+radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondelo View Post
I just purchased the SAVVY yesterday. Should be here by end of week and I'll report back here.

Did not know that a hardwire to the rearview mirror was an option. Do you have any info you can point me to for that?

Still think that the benefit of being able to 'silence' under a certain MPH is worth the 69$ or so
1CEBITN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:12 AM   #4
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
Wow, $69 for that thing? I think your detector should be able to do that out of the box and it's not going to do much for you anyway.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:05 PM   #5
LanceMagnum

Drives: C5 Corvette
It's not all that hard to hardwire in the vert to get a clean install, here's a post I used:

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478789

Once you get the trim piece down you can find both switched and unswitched power (unswitched comes from the homelink module)
LanceMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:10 PM   #6
LanceMagnum

Also, with all the trash signals I find my V1 is not very usable unless it's interfaced to YaV1 using the bluetooth module, and YaV1 includes savvy functionality.

(the V1 bluetooth module is also installed in the header area)
Old 10-19-2017, 05:19 PM   #7
LanceMagnum

Sorry for the rambling...

You don't need to remove the header trim to get to the mirror wires, you can remove the plastic piece at the back of the mirror mount, and if needed pretty easily remove the mirror for better access using a screwdriver as a lever.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=456626

see post #3, don't try to just twist the mirror using your hands.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:28 PM   #8
mondelo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CEBITN View Post
Cool, I'll be interested in reading your thoughts when you get it. For the verts that hardwire into the overhead console looks to be a real PIA because our headliner is one big plastic piece that runs the length of the windshield. In the hardtops that overhead console pops out so you can get to the purple/white wire that powers the passenger airbag light. Tap into that with your positive and the black with your negative and you'd be good to go. Several posts, this one has decent writeup and picks of that.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...hardwire+radar
Results are in!
After using the V1 and SAAVy for a few days (including a long drive from Maryland to NJ and back on Saturday) here is my consensus.

V1 is great, although very sensitive. Going to look into disabling K band since from what I have experienced so far, cops are using Ka in my area.

The SAAVY module is great, in that it does exactly what it states. However, Camaro owners be warned: When plugged into our OBD, the SAAVY dial (where you select speed) is facing downwards, meaning you either have to memorize the increments on the dial, or unplug, adjust and re-plug.

Also, since I commute regularly in VA, I will likely be ditching the SAAVY and using the regular coiled cable + cigarette lighter for easy access to cut power to the device when traveling in VA.
mondelo is offline   Reply With Quote