Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-21-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
ghostrider2

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow ZL1 Vert/M6
22's ride?

Ok so I am close to pulling the trigger on some 22's. First I want to hear from those who moved up from the 20's to the 22's about how it rides. Does it stilll ride pretty smooth or is it rough and you feel everything in the road? Also while I'm at this is a noob question, do I have to stay staggered, it seems to become an issues becuase of the whole spare tire thing unless of course you guys figured it out? I would hate to have a blow out and only have the tire sealer which won't do anything.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:47 AM   #2
Ajmalian

Drives: 2017 ZL1 and 2016 GMC Sierra Denali
The ride is noticeably bumpier. You don't have to go for a staggered arrangement. Its just that I don't think you can go as wide as 315 up front. I think you would be restricted to 275 or possibly a little more for the fronts. Lastly, I just remembered, if you have aftermarket springs or coil-overs...your ride quality can and most probably will get very harsh!!
Ajmalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
fab410
@fabSSbuild on IG

Drives: 2012 Twin Turbo Super Sport
I have 22's and my car rides great. I have my car lowered with springs & sway bars as well. I have 265's in the front and 315's in the rear and sometimes I have to remember i am in the car and not the bike when im riding around curves. I am sure the 3 piece wheels make a difference as far as weight is concerned because my previous car felt like i was driving a tank when i switched to 22's. If anything my car feels more planted to the ground and it doesnt feel as heavy as i thought i would. I know a few people that switched from the staggered look but i personally think the car looks funny without the staggered look. Some people keep one of the rear stock 20's in the trunk as a spare incase of a blow out.

AGP Twin Turbo, FAST lsxR manifold, ID850's, Squash Return Style Fuel System, ZL1 Bumper/Side Skirts/Hood/Carbon Insert, Havoc Rear Diffuser, PFADT Coilovers/Sway Bars/Adj. Tie Rods/Solid Subframe Bushings/Trailing Arms, Eboost2, SW Retro Chambered 3" Catback, R1 Concept Drilled/Slotted Rotors, 360 Forged Straight 5's, Matte Metallic Purple Wrap, Anvil Carbon Spoiler, Full AAC Lighting, etc
fab410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
seddon

Drives: 2017 ZL1
22's on stock suspension will ride a little harder due to smaller side walls on the tire. With coilovers you can set the ride quality. I have 22's with pedders Xa and honestly my ride is very close to stock. My wife thinks it's better than stock.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
SS_Diaz

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to SS_Diaz
I have 22's and the ride is really smooth. I also have coilovers on mine though but they feel exactly like stock. Just dont make the same mistake i did..... If your going to start dragging your car or tracking it a lot you might want to stay with 20's. Tires are expensive and the variety is a lil bit more limited.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
ghostrider2

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow ZL1 Vert/M6
ok so now if I go with the 22's then its also a matter of making an upgrade to the suspension. NO track or drag, I only do that on my bike.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
fab410
@fabSSbuild on IG

Drives: 2012 Twin Turbo Super Sport
I would definitely upgrade the suspension when switching to 22's. Lowering your vehicle on the stock 20's makes a big difference on its own. Sometimes, it makes the car look worse when u put 22's on your car and u still have this big gap in between your wheels and fender. If you have the money, knock them both out at the same time. I have Pfadt springs on at the moment but in the next few weeks I will be installing the Air Suspension i recently purchased for that perfect stance. I would definitely recommend switching your suspension when adding 22's if you are going for an improved look as well as a smooth ride.

AGP Twin Turbo, FAST lsxR manifold, ID850's, Squash Return Style Fuel System, ZL1 Bumper/Side Skirts/Hood/Carbon Insert, Havoc Rear Diffuser, PFADT Coilovers/Sway Bars/Adj. Tie Rods/Solid Subframe Bushings/Trailing Arms, Eboost2, SW Retro Chambered 3" Catback, R1 Concept Drilled/Slotted Rotors, 360 Forged Straight 5's, Matte Metallic Purple Wrap, Anvil Carbon Spoiler, Full AAC Lighting, etc
fab410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
PatrickfromMD

Drives: Buick Enclave/Corvette/2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fab410 View Post
I would definitely upgrade the suspension when switching to 22's. Lowering your vehicle on the stock 20's makes a big difference on its own. Sometimes, it makes the car look worse when u put 22's on your car and u still have this big gap in between your wheels and fender. If you have the money, knock them both out at the same time. I have Pfadt springs on at the moment but in the next few weeks I will be installing the Air Suspension i recently purchased for that perfect stance. I would definitely recommend switching your suspension when adding 22's if you are going for an improved look as well as a smooth ride.

As soon as I make my final selection on 22 inch wheels,
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224822
its my plan to run these slightly taller tires
VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SUV SESSANTA TIRES 315/30R22 and 265/35R22
It should give me a sidewall about ½ between stock and commonly run 22s.

The lowering option I still haven’t got figured out however.
Even with stock tires, I still scrape my T2 splitter on dips and driveways.
Can I lower an inch but with a stiffer spring rate to compensate when I hit dips?
But I’m intrigued by FAB410 air ride solution he mentions. Can you or someone provide more detail on that.
That might get me the perfect look, ride, and margin of safety I’m looking for

***56K miles and still going strong***
2SS/RS IOM ext w/cyber grey stripes, tinted windows, IO int Auto
ProTorque prototype Converter, Chuck Mosello of Westchester Corvettes Custom Tune
T&T installed SLP Longtubes, Powerflow X Pipe, and Powerflow axle back
JL 10W3 in custom side sub box, new door tweeters, Alpine 5ch 600 watt
T&T configured ACS front Fascia w/ heritage grill, splitter, dual color halos, , led markers, taillight bezels , all accented in CGM
Gary Custom Z vented fenders. Vararam ver 2
PatrickfromMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
Im also upgrading to the Vredestein tires for the additional sidewall (wheel protection) .. But they do not ride harsh at all. I am also lowered with the full Hotchkis suspension setup and my sways are set stiff as possible.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
ModBargains.com

Drives: Widebody 2013 Mustang GT
If you match up the 22's with a good quality tire that rides very well, then you shouldn't be too worried if you ask me
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote