Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-06-2019, 04:06 PM   #29
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
I'd agree with the moderator. Pretty sure the "vibrant neighborhood" comment gave that away.

I always figured these "car cultures" got applied to races because races tend to live in the same areas (the why's not being relevant). but these overlap economic situations and regional cultures (which is what other people were getting at) more than race.

I would agree with that.... that common race is just a coincidental attribute to what is local socio-economic statuses. They just happen to overlap a lot in some areas of the country.

I also just didn't think they were very prominent anymore. I still see a ricer or bro dozer or such car here and there but they're never all together when I see them. Never localized to a certain area. But the country is a big place. Apparently it's still a thing. At least some of these over the top mod cultures dont completely abandon all hopes of looking good or being practical. Pretty sure the people pictured abandoned that about 10 inches ago.
I'd say it's more about culture than socio-economic status, although economics play a role in where people live. Many of my friends growing up were from the "wrong side of the tracks" and of a variety of races, but they seemed to share a common culture that manifested itself in clothing styles and hair styles, etc. Almost none of us could afford cars. I don't think hoopties existed yet anyway.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:10 PM   #30
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
You miss the point. Nobody is arguing that something with little practical value can have high cultural or personal value.

Essentially i'm stating that this kind of "Bragging" is stupid ...borderline mentally ill and holds no value. Not because of what's being done necessarily, but because if we are stereotyping these things to what is generally poor neighborhoods then that means they're doing this to what is most likely their only car, and choosing to put all that money into that car instead of the infinite better things that money could have been put into.

That and unlike diamonds or other useless shiny garbage that we've been trained to value...the ridiculousness of these kinds of vehicles is universally understood. They are objectively not pleasing to look at by any measure of what can be called beauty, nor are they practical in any way, and seem to scream "look at me", which just smacks insecurity.
Doesn't sound like you're being culturally sensitive.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:12 PM   #31
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
The stupidest part about these rides is destroying the performance of a performance orientated car. I don't understand it. If you want to flex your money, buy a nicer vehicle. I don't know why anyone would take a Camaro, hack it up, spend thousands on wheels just to have a car that is slower and now handles poorly.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:47 PM   #32
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
Doesn't sound like you're being culturally sensitive.
You dont have to be sensitive to something that's intended to be offensive.

When the goal is to be over the top in an objectively useless way that so negatively impacts everything, you are either doing it to be funny - in which case they're looking to make people laugh, or you're doing it to purposely offend people or you're so delusional you think there exists people who will look at it and go "yes, that's awesome".

I think something like this... just like the guys who put 8ft wings on their civics ....do it to offend ...because on some level, that offense shared amongst their peers makes them feel like they belong to a group that they otherwise wouldn't have anything to identify with that those not in the group would recognize.

Almost like a primal tribalistic urge that seems to be very male centric that we see all over, be it in gangs, motorocycle groups, etc. It's usually not so laughably ridiculous though as dumping 20k on new car to ruin it and make sure nobody with any sense associates with you in public.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:09 PM   #33
Spinuck

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
The stupidest part about these rides is destroying the performance of a performance orientated car. I don't understand it. If you want to flex your money, buy a nicer vehicle. I don't know why anyone would take a Camaro, hack it up, spend thousands on wheels just to have a car that is slower and now handles poorly.
That always puzzles me too when people buy a performance vehicle but hinder the performance. My wife and I have Jeeps as well and enjoy offroading. Kills me when I see jeeps with over the top mods that obviously hinder the offroad performance. I get it's their money and they can do what want, just doesnt make sense to me.

To the OP: sorry but as soon as I opened the thread and saw the pic, I said to myself "must be in Florida". Sure enough....

I dont see many cars like that in Northern California.
Spinuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:12 PM   #34
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
So why is one extreme acceptable but not another? In other words, why is it ok to have a 1200 RWHP car driving on the street (an example of an acceptable extreme), but when a kid has a low rider that barely clears the ground or a Civic with a bunch of ground effects or a Camaro on huge ass rims (examples of unacceptable extremes) we look down on them and talk shit? An extreme is an extreme. People paid tens of thousands of dollars getting these engines to pump out over 1K HP. They then spend more money upgrading the trans, suspension, fueling, etc. And we all drool over it. Someone else expresses their extremism by dumping tens of thousands of dollars into modifying the entire car to accommodate these rims or to slam their car or to load it up with color schemes and aftermarket kits and that is reprehensible?

Let me say this, when a company that paints cars advertise, they show their most extreme work because it gives a customer confidence in their work. When Weapon X advertises on this forum they show some of their more extreme works because it shows what they can do. So what you are seeing is examples of what can be done to a car. Same with sound systems, lighting kits, companies that do wraps, etc. So how about we stop judging?
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:16 PM   #35
BigumZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Summit White
Very well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
So why is one extreme acceptable but not another? In other words, why is it ok to have a 1200 RWHP car driving on the street (an example of an acceptable extreme), but when a kid has a low rider that barely clears the ground or a Civic with a bunch of ground effects or a Camaro on huge ass rims (examples of unacceptable extremes) we look down on them and talk shit? An extreme is an extreme. People paid tens of thousands of dollars getting these engines to pump out over 1K HP. They then spend more money upgrading the trans, suspension, fueling, etc. And we all drool over it. Someone else expresses their extremism by dumping tens of thousands of dollars into modifying the entire car to accommodate these rims or to slam their car or to load it up with color schemes and aftermarket kits and that is reprehensible?

Let me say this, when a company that paints cars advertise, they show their most extreme work because it gives a customer confidence in their work. When Weapon X advertises on this forum they show some of their more extreme works because it shows what they can do. So what you are seeing is examples of what can be done to a car. Same with sound systems, lighting kits, companies that do wraps, etc. So how about we stop judging?
BigumZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:41 PM   #36
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
^^Agree
Old 06-07-2019, 06:34 AM   #37
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Yesterday was the 75th-anniversary of D-Day. I was named after a wounded and decorated WW2 veteran that was in a B-17 supporting D-Day.

That said, those that have fought for and are fighting for our country allow us to do whatever to our rides.

There are lots of things others do to their rides that I roll my eyes at, but, they can do the same to my stuff, too.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:53 AM   #38
24v
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 SS
There are a lot of cars on this forum that are just as silly to me as the ones in this thread with the big wheels. We don't all do things the same. It's better to embrace the fact that people are modding cars at all, rather than talk trash because they aren't doing it the way you think is correct.
Just my simple .02
24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:54 AM   #39
Infamus

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
Yesterday was the 75th-anniversary of D-Day. I was named after a wounded and decorated WW2 veteran that was in a B-17 supporting D-Day.

That said, those that have fought for and are fighting for our country allow us to do whatever to our rides.

There are lots of things others do to their rides that I roll my eyes at, but, they can do the same to my stuff, too.
exactly... to each their own.
Infamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:00 AM   #40
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Actually, I can appreciate the low rider culture because they took what otherwise would be the
average fullsized or intermediate sized car from an older era and fixed them up to look unique.

I always like how they fixed up the fullsized cars from the '70's era like the big Caprices, Impalas, Monte Carlos and converted them into low riders. Usually, the ones I liked the best were the fully restored back to factory stock looking cars with the low rider style wheels and chrome accents.

Otherwise, those cars would have been sent to the crusher years ago. So, it was/is nice to still see those cars around in pristine condition even as low riders.

However, those Donk cars can get pretty offensive. Personally, I think the DONK style works much better on a larger fullsized car than a small sporty car like the Camaro. However, now it makes me wonder if anyone has done a Donk style Corvette yet? lol!
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:21 AM   #41
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Actually, I can appreciate the low rider culture because they took what otherwise would be the
average fullsized or intermediate sized car from an older era and fixed them up to look unique.

I always like how they fixed up the fullsized cars from the '70's era like the big Caprices, Impalas, Monte Carlos and converted them into low riders. Usually, the ones I liked the best were the fully restored back to factory stock looking cars with the low rider style wheels and chrome accents.

Otherwise, those cars would have been sent to the crusher years ago. So, it was/is nice to still see those cars around in pristine condition even as low riders.

However, those Donk cars can get pretty offensive. Personally, I think the DONK style works much better on a larger fullsized car than a small sporty car like the Camaro. However, now it makes me wonder if anyone has done a Donk style Corvette yet? lol!

Old 06-07-2019, 09:29 AM   #42
I`m Batman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6
Peacock Syndrome.

I`m Batman is offline   Reply With Quote