Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-06-2016, 04:14 PM   #15
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataphen View Post
The soot is a byproduct of direct injection. Any direct injected car that you see will have the same black soot around the exhaust tips. Some are worse than others. It's nothing to worry about, but it's never going to stop doing that.
Are you sure it's direct injection? Or just burning gas at all? My 1LE has soot, and it's not Direct Injected.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:57 PM   #16
Nataphen

Drives: None
Sooty exhaust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Are you sure it's direct injection? Or just burning gas at all? My 1LE has soot, and it's not Direct Injected.

I'm not saying that port injected cars don't have some soot buildup sometimes, but direct injected cars always do. DI makes it much worse. It doesn't matter how rich or lean the car is running, it will always happen with DI.
Nataphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:25 PM   #17
STATRA

Drives: '17 Camaro SS Convertible
Really?

I was having the same issues until I got a misfire and fault prompts. The dealership found a coil was bad and replaced it and the corresponding spark plug was severely fouled with heavy black carbon. They said the car was running rich and attributed to my K&N CAI, saying my filter’s oil must’ve blown off coating the MAS which told the computer it wasn’t getting enough air and to compensate by feeding more fuel. All interesting except my K&N filter is oil free. Thoughts?
STATRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:38 PM   #18
HighIron

Drives: 2024 2SS Summit White
Actually I've found the soot buildup on my NPP SS is much much less than on my previous V6 car with the "trumpet" tips.

You just have to stay on top of it and clean them often, and so the build-up removes fairly easily. I use a bottle brush ( or wine glass brush ) and hit the inside dimpled area.

One thing that irks me still is every time I see a 6th Gen Camaro with dirty tips, especially when you can tell the owner never cleaned them. Really dresses the car down.
HighIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:07 PM   #19
CUPRA

Drives: '21 Bronco OBX/'18 Jeep GC Altitude
I'd been wondering about this also. I previously had a 2011 SS and didn't get a lot of build up on the exhausts at all. I now have a 2017 RS and the tips get sooty real quick.

On the flip side, the Brembo's on my SS would coat my wheels like crazy in brake dust, whereas my RS non Brembo Camaro doesn't leave hardly any brake dust at all!
Built: 11/18/22
VIN received: 11/19/22
On a Train: 02/27/23
ETA: TBD

2023 Camaro 2SS Convertible/M6/Shadow Grey Metallic/Adrenaline Red Interior/Carbon Flash Wheels/NPP
CUPRA is offline   Reply With Quote