Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-01-2016, 07:47 PM   #659
96MrBass

Drives: GM
Quote:
Originally Posted by detltu View Post
The hellcat is the only car that's not a turd to him. He doesn't need a steering wheel.
Must be new moons half bro lol.
Roto- Fab Cai, SLP 1 3/4" headers, 3"X pipe, LM2 cat back, Comp Cam & AI Heads, SLP UP, RPM Tuned, GPI Intake, Vmax TB, ADM Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Gforce driveshaft, Braille 21#, Elite Catch Can, Pfadt Tie Rods, Diff Bushings and Trailing arms, Eibach spings & sways, BMR cradle bushings, Nt555r's.
96MrBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:50 PM   #660
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
True. I always forget some get a kick out of lying about their times. We had a guy on the 6 speed top list for the Challenger that everyone knew was BS for a LONG time.

I did go look and seems the previous ZL1 was pretty sluggish for 580HP though. 12.2 and 12.3 quarter mile times reported. The gent who visited the track with us never got below 12.8 I believe. With the Gen6 Camaro hitting those times pretty handily with 100 less hp, I think folks can see why eye brows get raised. It could just be a case of too much power for the tires (likely) and could plague the new ZL1 if Chevy doesn't give it some good meats from the factory. However the trap speeds don't seem to add up either at 116-117 where again the 455HP 2016 achieves that as well. Weight is responsible for some of that though. I've always said anything over 500-550 should come with DRs.

I would personally be a bit pissed if I had a car with 580HP and it only ran low 12s at 116. That should easily be mid mid to high 11s at 118 or so.
You seem to understand my point. There is internet lore and magazine stories and then there the facts. I go to the drag strip every week and see the real numbers. I've seen ONE (1) 2016 SS Camaro run a 7.60 1/8th mile which is great.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:54 PM   #661
96MrBass

Quote:
I dunno, the ZL1s that have shown up to our local drag strip have been pretty underwhelming. The owners were even pissed LOL

Maybe no one but a pro can drive them?
This could be said about quite a few hellcat's many many run's under the factory claimed number's. Not the car's fault
Roto- Fab Cai, SLP 1 3/4" headers, 3"X pipe, LM2 cat back, Comp Cam & AI Heads, SLP UP, RPM Tuned, GPI Intake, Vmax TB, ADM Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Gforce driveshaft, Braille 21#, Elite Catch Can, Pfadt Tie Rods, Diff Bushings and Trailing arms, Eibach spings & sways, BMR cradle bushings, Nt555r's.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:44 PM   #662
cvp33
America FVCK Yeah!

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Agreed with the earlier statements around driver experience. My CTS-V, which only has 556hp ran 12.2@120mph on street tires. I could never put the power down off the line so the 60's were 2.0's......fugging awful. Slapped on drag radials and a CAI and it ran 11.52@122mph, with a decent 1.65 60'.

As for road course? Far too many variables as Sven stated. The magazines test are great for evening out the variables - same driver, same day, same weather, etc. The one thing on Lightning Lap times that did change was the repaving at VIR that added tarmack in critical spots. Most will tell you that this was worth a second or two. It definitely helped me in the NASCAR turn at now I have room to let the car run out wide where I didn't before. That does make comparisons a little muddy today versus 3 years ago.

Still pissed that Dodge didn't let the Hellcat's run for the Lightning Laps.....probably in their best interest not to, but as an enthusiast I would've liked to have seen the times. They're probably still stinging from when the SRT8 Challenger and Charger ran 3:09/3:10......not good.
cvp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:47 PM   #663
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
You seem to understand my point. There is internet lore and magazine stories and then there the facts. I go to the drag strip every week and see the real numbers. I've seen ONE (1) 2016 SS Camaro run a 7.60 1/8th mile which is great.
What if you take a professional driver with all stock cars. The driver runs all cars on the same 1/4 track within a reasonable amount of time. Would you accept those times as reasonable?
Old 08-02-2016, 10:33 AM   #664
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzazoo View Post
Speedy, great to see you still floating around the forums; even after the days of the overly-saturated-with-advertisements challengertalk.com
Hey man, good to see you as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96MrBass View Post
This could be said about quite a few hellcat's many many run's under the factory claimed number's. Not the car's fault
Sure, but I've seen a lot that run awesome times and personally seen WAY more run awesome times than crappy ones. I put on a drag race event and car show once a year, very similar to CamaroFest, called ChallengerFest and we've have tons of Hellcats show up the past couple years. Same day same track and ladies in their Chargers are kicking ass. You almost have to try to run a bad time in one from what I've seen and you can hot lap them all day and they run within a 10th every time. Pretty amazing really. I've honestly never seen a high power Camaro match it's claimed dyno sheet. Please don't take that as a dig, it's just something we've noticed. I've had buddies with 700HP dyno sheets run 12.50s at 114MPH in their Gen5s. I don't care how bad you launch or shift the car, with 700HP you should make some trap speed. Same goes for the ZL1s that have come and played at the track with us, but I digress.

I've always suspected the shop put big numbers on the dyno sheet so they felt the money was worth it, then turned the tune down to something off the edge for every day driving but didn't tell them. It sometimes happens in the Mopar world as well, but less so as there's honestly not that many guys that can effectively tune a Mopar, but seems to be tons that tune Chevy.

Now that I have a Camaro, I'll extend an invite to a few of you guys here to come join the fun at ChallengerFest next year. Run your car for grins if you want and have some fun with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
What if you take a professional driver with all stock cars. The driver runs all cars on the same 1/4 track within a reasonable amount of time. Would you accept those times as reasonable?
That would certainly be a start. Even same track, same day, same conditions takes a lot of variables out of the equation. Taking the actual E.T. out of the picture, which also eliminates a lot of required driver skill, the trap speeds tell the tale on power. The Hellcat traps 123-125MPH. That takes some serious power to achieve that in 1/4 mile.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:48 PM   #665
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
When I see a car run a number in person it's more believeable. I've been drag racing for a long long time. Many on most websites are clueless as to how quick cars truly are or are not. I'm no professional driver by any stretch but I can pilot a car down the dragstrip. Seems simple enough doesn't it? That said I see far too many newer cars crash into the guardrails because the driver thinks he (or she) can simply mash the gas and lay down a number. When a car has enough power you have to actually "drive it" and pay attention. A couple weeks back I saw a young man in his BMW leave the starting boiling the rear tires past the 330' mark without a clue only to find himself doing a 360* spin and slapping the opposite guardrail HARD broadside. It happens more frequently than you might think but it's usually the newer Mustangs that make contact with the wall. I hate seeing that stuff.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:51 PM   #666
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Too bad Fiat couldn't come up with a moniker that didn't belong to GM.

At least they kept the Tank concept though.

MIC DROPPED!!!
Old 08-02-2016, 07:53 PM   #667
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
Too bad Fiat couldn't come up with a moniker that didn't belong to GM.

MIC DROPPED!!!
They have been holding their place on JD Powers reliability list. Bottom feeder.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:54 PM   #668
DenverTaco07

Quote:
They have been holding their place on JD Powers reliability list. Bottom feeder.
you calling me a bottom feeder?

or fiat
Old 08-02-2016, 07:55 PM   #669
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Are you Dodge?
Old 08-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #670
DenverTaco07

Quote:
Are you Dodge?
A comma would have made it clear, but the full stop made me think otherwise.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:05 PM   #671
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

I started with they in reference to your fiat comment. Bottom feeder is their place on the list. I did start a company selling portable safe places and will sell to fat kitty owners for when the new ZL1S times are released.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #672
96MrBass

Quote:
Hey man, good to see you as well.

Sure, but I've seen a lot that run awesome times and personally seen WAY more run awesome times than crappy ones. I put on a drag race event and car show once a year, very similar to CamaroFest, called ChallengerFest and we've have tons of Hellcats show up the past couple years. Same day same track and ladies in their Chargers are kicking ass. You almost have to try to run a bad time in one from what I've seen and you can hot lap them all day and they run within a 10th every time. Pretty amazing really. I've honestly never seen a high power Camaro match it's claimed dyno sheet. Please don't take that as a dig, it's just something we've noticed. I've had buddies with 700HP dyno sheets run 12.50s at 114MPH in their Gen5s. I don't care how bad you launch or shift the car, with 700HP you should make some trap speed. Same goes for the ZL1s that have come and played at the track with us, but I digress.

I've always suspected the shop put big numbers on the dyno sheet so they felt the money was worth it, then turned the tune down to something off the edge for every day driving but didn't tell them. It sometimes happens in the Mopar world as well, but less so as there's honestly not that many guys that can effectively tune a Mopar, but seems to be tons that tune Chevy.

Now that I have a Camaro, I'll extend an invite to a few of you guys here to come join the fun at ChallengerFest next year. Run your car for grins if you want and have some fun with us.

That would certainly be a start. Even same track, same day, same conditions takes a lot of variables out of the equation. Taking the actual E.T. out of the picture, which also eliminates a lot of required driver skill, the trap speeds tell the tale on power. The Hellcat traps 123-125MPH. That takes some serious power to achieve that in 1/4 mile.
I'm interested in some of these " stock " hellcat runs your impressed with could you elaborate?