Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-23-2016, 10:33 AM   #57
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
I know which vid youre talking about too, I can't find it again though. Had a different camera angle at the very least or was a completely diff race
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:35 AM   #58
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whis View Post
So you're saying the 2014 SS Sedan has a louder/meaner startup than a 2016 SS startup in track mode?

Bolded what I'm commenting on
I would debate that statement myself. For what an SS is yes I can see more people being surprised. Although the NPp exhaust on the 16' SS is one of the nicest sounding stock exhausts I have heard to date. Even compared to the corvette's.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:47 AM   #59
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
it has been posted, that Challenger had drag radials, which is why it got out of the hole so quickly. Camaro is a manual too.

The SS is definitely faster than the 392, but not by so much the 392 won't win from time to time.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:13 PM   #60
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
ScatPack got the jump but it wasn't by much and once they were rolling I didn't see the Camaro gaining any ground. Pretty close in performance.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:21 PM   #61
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
ScatPack got the jump but it wasn't by much and once they were rolling I didn't see the Camaro gaining any ground. Pretty close in performance.
A8 Challenger vs M6 SS should be a close race assuming both had good launches.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:39 PM   #62
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factorypilot View Post

Starts at 1:31. Scat Pack beats the new SS by .2 in the 1/4, BUT....

The Scat had DR's, the Camaro was totally stock AND the Camaro guy was more than a tenth of a second slower on the reaction time
(Scat RT = .8409, Camaro RT = .9695).
THIS is the other video I was talking about, and it isn't the same .I can't find the one I posted anywhere.
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:43 PM   #63
IntricateDetail

Drives: '12 Corvette GS / '13 Equinox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whis View Post
THIS is the other video I was talking about, and it isn't the same .I can't find the one I posted anywhere.
Yea, I've chatted with the owner of that Scat Pack. Cool dude, and while his car isn't "bone" stock...it's easy to see there is no "running away" going on from Camaros. These new Camaros are fast...but not THAT much faster than an A8 Chally or even Charger Scat Pack with a good driver. Just look at their fast list.

'22 Camaro ZL1 | A10 | Carbon Everything
'22 Kia Stinger GT2 RWD - Bone stock
'19 Kia Sorento - Wifemobile

~ Previous Cars ~

'12 Corvette Grand Sport
'12 Infiniti G37xS Sedan - Takeda CAI, FI RHFC + FI resonated cat-back, Hotchkis F+R Sways, SSR GTV03 (18x9.5 +45 squared), Toyo Proxes T1 Sports, Tanabe Lowering Springs, Full Akebono BBK upgrade F+R, StopTech Rotors/Pads/SS Brake Lines, Takeda FTSB, (300AWHP / 251TQ)
IntricateDetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:41 PM   #64
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
not even worth the view DR Challenger with probably other modsm come who has a "stock" car with DR at the 1/4 mile, that tale is as old as the hills. vs newbie in a M6

Try and take some turns or do some spirited driving with the Challenger. Every turn must be taken with caution. I've own two Challengers since 2009. Try launch a Challenger. I've changed maybe 20 cars worth of bushings as they are way overstressed. There all broken leading to all kinds of suspension and subframe movement. Even with new bushings the arms front and back are very flimsy.

I like both cars, the Challenger has room and is a good GT type car. It can't handle, is not tossable. It can launch but all the bushings are JUNK, total waste and must be replaced. Most of the suspension arms are of poor quality stamp or cast steel and VERY flimsy for the weight. Heck my 2500 lbs Acura Type R has SIGNIFICANTLY stronger cast steel arms.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:37 AM   #65
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
not even worth the view DR Challenger with probably other modsm come who has a "stock" car with DR at the 1/4 mile, that tale is as old as the hills. vs newbie in a M6

Try and take some turns or do some spirited driving with the Challenger. Every turn must be taken with caution. I've own two Challengers since 2009. Try launch a Challenger. I've changed maybe 20 cars worth of bushings as they are way overstressed. There all broken leading to all kinds of suspension and subframe movement. Even with new bushings the arms front and back are very flimsy.

I like both cars, the Challenger has room and is a good GT type car. It can't handle, is not tossable. It can launch but all the bushings are JUNK, total waste and must be replaced. Most of the suspension arms are of poor quality stamp or cast steel and VERY flimsy for the weight. Heck my 2500 lbs Acura Type R has SIGNIFICANTLY stronger cast steel arms.
You had a hard time launching a Challenger auto or manual? My 2012 auto all I had to do was leave TC on switch to sport mode launch at 1200 rpms and the car ran 1.80-1.90 60' times every pass on the stock wheel/tire resulting in 12:40s.

This new Scatpack has a much better transmission, more power/tq, and lower weight compared to my SRT. The problem with these cars is that very few are more skilled than the car, when I tried to launch with nannies off I ran 2:00-2:10s. Launching with 470-lbs of torque wth a street 245/255 series tire is not easy.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot

Last edited by newmoon; 02-24-2016 at 07:51 AM.
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:14 AM   #66
IntricateDetail

Drives: '12 Corvette GS / '13 Equinox
Quote:

Bitter much? The tale isn't old. It's just an example of what the car is going to be "up against" at the local track. It will win some, it will lose some. Why? Because not all drivers are experts, that's on you, not the car. People are going to post videos of them taking down competition...with your username being "oldman", you would think you'd understand that. Talk all day about what your car's supposed fastest 0-60 and 1/4 times are...but if you the driver can't make those numbers a reality...well yea, you know they have a name for the people who sit there and spout off paper numbers all the time. And of course, as soon as someone mentions their car isn't bone stock, everyone has to go on a rant about how they probably had TONS of other mods that aren't listed. Even though the fast list would suggest otherwise. Very competitive times out there for the Chally Scat Pack.

Some Mustangs will beat some Camaros and vice versa. Some Challengers will beat some Camaros, and vice versa. Because...driver mod. Nobody is talking about you being on a road course or doing autox, since that is literally every sore losers retort anytime they see anything that hints at someone beating their "beloved" Camaro at a drag strip. "Well, but it's a sports car now, not a muscle car...it goes around corners". I'm sure Mustang guys do it as well, but who knows? Makes your bias a bit hard to swallow...but hey, this is a Camaro forum, so I guess I get it.

Fact is, the two cars were at a drag strip, which doesn't require turning. So why even bring it up? It's an illogical and nonsensical argument. The Camaro went to a drag strip. I highly doubt he went there to prove how fast the Challenger is and that the Camaro could get beat. He went there to win, but he didn't. Who cares about a road course? Completely irrelevant to the video. If the Challenger wanted to be at a road course, he would have been. But guess what? He wasn't...and most people that buy Camaro/Challenger/Charger/Mustang at best go to a 1/4 mile strip, not a road course. Only a choice few really do any kind of racing other than stop light (which I don't condone) or their local strip. Just because you see 100 people who do it on a forum, doesn't mean it's the majority.

Cheers!

'22 Camaro ZL1 | A10 | Carbon Everything
'22 Kia Stinger GT2 RWD - Bone stock
'19 Kia Sorento - Wifemobile

~ Previous Cars ~

'12 Corvette Grand Sport
'12 Infiniti G37xS Sedan - Takeda CAI, FI RHFC + FI resonated cat-back, Hotchkis F+R Sways, SSR GTV03 (18x9.5 +45 squared), Toyo Proxes T1 Sports, Tanabe Lowering Springs, Full Akebono BBK upgrade F+R, StopTech Rotors/Pads/SS Brake Lines, Takeda FTSB, (300AWHP / 251TQ)
IntricateDetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:33 AM   #67
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Try and take some turns or do some spirited driving with the Challenger. Every turn must be taken with caution. I've own two Challengers since 2009. Try launch a Challenger. ......

It can't handle...
I have launched a Challenger and cut a 1.95 60' time on the stock 18" tires and suspension without much issue and no wheel hop.

It can handle, and the Challengers I've driven don't need to be carefully taken into corners. Are they a sharp corner carver? No, but they're not some dangerous, unstable and unpredictable crap barge either.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:59 AM   #68
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
I have launched a Challenger and cut a 1.95 60' time on the stock 18" tires and suspension without much issue and no wheel hop.

It can handle, and the Challengers I've driven don't need to be carefully taken into corners. Are they a sharp corner carver? No, but they're not some dangerous, unstable and unpredictable crap barge either.
I take it it was an RT with 18s? If so that's quite a different animal with over a 100 hp and torque difference on the same tread width.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:05 AM   #69
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
I take it it was an RT with 18s? If so that's quite a different animal with over a 100 hp and torque difference on the same tread width.

Yes, base A5 R/T.

I was just responding to a blanket statement about how "Challengers can't launch"
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:10 AM   #70
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
You had a hard time launching a Challenger auto or manual? My 2012 auto all I had to do was leave TC on switch to sport mode launch at 1200 rpms and the car ran 1.80-1.90 60' times every pass on the stock wheel/tire resulting in 12:40s.

This new Scatpack has a much better transmission, more power/tq, and lower weight compared to my SRT. The problem with these cars is that very few are more skilled than the car, when I tried to launch with nannies off I ran 2:00-2:10s. Launching with 470-lbs of torque wth a street 245/255 series tire is not easy.
I have a supercharged V6 with two stage N20. The problems are the bushings are not up to the task in:
front and rear links,
rear subframe.

The suspension arms are weak especially the rear and only in 2015 did Dodge go to a cast aluminum arm for the rear, the bottom one AFAIK.

I updated both my Challengers to new bushings soon after getting them. Had to swap the diff anyway.

The Challengers at my track capable of 12 on stock tires can be counted on one hand.

I run P Zero Nero on 20" chrome clads my car is 3700 lbs
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote