Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-23-2012, 04:42 AM   #15
HP Turbine
Boosted

Drives: 2012 1LT RS... with snails
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilson18 View Post
He likely thinks this is the new camaro
You mean the 6th gen won't look like that.....

IPS Twin Turbos, Corsa Exhaust, Ported Throttle Body. 461 rwhp 443 rwtq!! *Cameron Hass.ani*
HP Turbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:20 AM   #16
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
The sales team at the dealership are usually the last to know anything. They have no inside connections. He is full of it.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:52 AM   #17
boltmark
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2 SS/RS IOM Camaro
sound like more of the same crap that was going on before the release of the 5th gen.
boltmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:15 AM   #18
mntgome1

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS/RS
Im not sure if the OP is lying or the Dealer jus sayn.....
Old 06-23-2012, 06:50 AM   #19
Verbolten

Drives: someday a convertible
The salesman that started this rumor is reading this thread and laughing is ass off.....
Verbolten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:00 AM   #20
Shesabeast

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
I've read that about 2 yrs ago, that because of fuel economy, twin turbo v6 for power. If in fact they do lower the hp for the v8, it's to encorage people to buy the v6 in lieu.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:08 AM   #21
Shesabeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 CamaroSS View Post
Why would they lower the v8's horsepower but raise the v6's horsepower...?
to encourage people to get out of the mindset that you need a big gas hog to get hp. I mean, a Cobalt SS can hang with a Camaro SS (not beat, but hang)... v8= doesn't mean fast car, it just means big engine.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #22
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shesabeast View Post
to encourage people to get out of the mindset that you need a big gas hog to get hp. I mean, a Cobalt SS can hang with a Camaro SS (not beat, but hang)... v8= doesn't mean fast car, it just means big engine.
But who, anywhere, has said to themselves if they had a choice to buy a Camaro SS or a Cobalt SS "Man, I want me some Cobalt SS"? I want names. The more likely reason is that's because GM can offer a more reasonably-priced car that fits within smaller budgets yet still offers a thrill when you drive it. And if you don't keep cars long, you also should probably keep an eye on resale values in the future. Not sure what the Cobalt is compared to Camaro percentage-wise, but some people look at that as well.

And that's exactly why the gas-hog reasoning is (gas-hog)-wash. Most people want V8s because that's what they're USED to buying. Gas hog has nothing to do with it. CAFE has nearly everything to do with it. You don't buy a car such as a ZL1 because you give a crap what the gas mileage is. You buy it for performance. True today as it was then, there's no replacement for displacement, all other things being equal. But today they're not equal with the power-adders from the factory. Turbo a 6 to do the same or little better than an na V8? Why not offer a TT V8 as well at the same time and make everyone happy? Now THAT would be something.

Nothing wrong with a V6 or an I4 even. I have absolutely no issue about it if that's what people choose for their cars. And though V6 and I4 may be nice, you can keep them for your own Camaro if that flips up your skirt. If the best Camaro has to offer is V6, I'll just keep driving my old, less-powerful V8. Because I can and I want to, that's why.

Sorry...as a traditionalist, make mine a V8.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #23
Shesabeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
But who, anywhere, has said to themselves if they had a choice to buy a Camaro SS or a Cobalt SS "Man, I want me some Cobalt SS"? I want names. The more likely reason is that's because GM can offer a more reasonably-priced car that fits within smaller budgets yet still offers a thrill when you drive it. And if you don't keep cars long, you also should probably keep an eye on resale values in the future. Not sure what the Cobalt is compared to Camaro percentage-wise, but some people look at that as well.

And that's exactly why the gas-hog reasoning is (gas-hog)-wash. Most people want V8s because that's what they're USED to buying. Gas hog has nothing to do with it. CAFE has nearly everything to do with it. You don't buy a car such as a ZL1 because you give a crap what the gas mileage is. You buy it for performance. True today as it was then, there's no replacement for displacement, all other things being equal. But today they're not equal with the power-adders from the factory. Turbo a 6 to do the same or little better than an na V8? Why not offer a TT V8 as well at the same time and make everyone happy? Now THAT would be something.

Nothing wrong with a V6 or an I4 even. I have absolutely no issue about it if that's what people choose for their cars. And though V6 and I4 may be nice, you can keep them for your own Camaro if that flips up your skirt. If the best Camaro has to offer is V6, I'll just keep driving my old, less-powerful V8. Because I can and I want to, that's why.

Sorry...as a traditionalist, make mine a V8.
He did say that it was going to be marketed to the younger generation. With gov regulations, oil prices, ect. ect. GM is already looking into the future as to make a performance car that will be more fuel effiecient. Hence 8 speed transmissions. You can stay in the rpm range for hp if you need it, and cruise at lower rpm when needed. No doubt, there nothing like the sound and raw power of a V8, but in the future, it's just not going to be realistic. I think the market and regulations will demand it.

Im pretty sure there are PLENTY of people who say, "Man, I want a Cobalt SS." (How do you think Vette owners see us?) Mostly the younger generation that are looking for a cheap, fast car. They are probally thinking, my V6 is almost as capable as your 6.2l v8 ls3. As a Camaro SS driver myself, i bought mine for the v8 ls3, so im with you on the traditionalist view on it.

Reality is, gas is just going to keep going up and up. Manufactures have to find a balance between performance and fuel consumption.

People do buy ZL1 for performance, but if performance is what you want, get a ZR1. People get a ZL1 because its a cheaper than the "real thing", but just a capable. Same goes for Cobal SS owners.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #24
CLEAN

Drives: '19 Stingray '22 MB GLC 300
Come here for information, go to dealerships to buy cars.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #25
blkevrythng

Drives: 112ssrsblk
Psshh camaros at 70 grand...
blkevrythng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #26
blkevrythng

Drives: 112ssrsblk
http://www.google.com/search?source=...ce&sa=N#miuv=2
blkevrythng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #27
TheBooks

Drives: 2010 CGM RS
My dad bought his corvette there. They have an insane amount of camaros and corvettes. Old camaros too. Last week they had teo ZL1s unsold on their lot.
TheBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #28
rydahog

Drives: camaro ss
appeal to "younger" generation...i guess he forgot who his base client is...he is a jerk..
i want to see his crystal ball.... not to dis you bro! but the dealer is the last guy you want to ask about these cars....most times its wrong info...now ask him how much his mark up is ,...hahahhah see how far you get with that...
rydahog is offline   Reply With Quote