Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-12-2017, 03:49 PM   #1
cam fan

Drives: fast
Key fob buttons getting punch in/falling out

*punched

Over the course of this summer/last 3 months, the buttons on both of my key fobs have been falling out (2011 2LT RS). IDK if my keys caught some kind of key-venereal-disease or if that is even a thing but the rubber buttons must have dried out and cracked under pressure. Below is the survivor fob. The other fob has no buttons left at all. Has anyone else experienced this?

Now I am interested in an aftermarket passive keyless entry; maybe even a push button start. Any recommendations?

https://imgur.com/a/6drPT

(yes that is duct tape in the 'lock' hole)

...or does anyone know how much it costs/what it takes to replace the OEM fob?

Last edited by cam fan; 10-12-2017 at 04:11 PM.
cam fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:21 PM   #2
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
I have seen prices quoted on here from $40 to $120. depends on your dealer.
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:25 PM   #3
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Yep, had the same thing happen to me. Got a new one from the dealer. Had to pay for the fob and to have the key cut.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:25 PM   #4
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Happened to me. You need to purchase new key fobs from your dealer and they will program it for you.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:01 PM   #5
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
You can purchase just the shell and swap the "guts" and key over for pretty cheap. No need to go to the dealer or pay a lot of money.

I ended up buying some from a company out of China that seem to be better quality than the ones we got. The tactile feel of the buttons is better and they also seem to be holding up quite well. Not bad for around $5.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:30 PM   #6
rjinotti

Drives: 2011 SGM 1SS A6 & 2014 SW 2SS/RS M6
One of my buttons fell off went to the dealer and they sell a key fob glove (rubber) for7.99 and your problem will be solved. I put a piece of tape over the broken button and it's been working fine for over 2 months , no issues.. They come in 5 colors
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2017, 03:32 AM   #7
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjinotti View Post
One of my buttons fell off went to the dealer and they sell a key fob glove (rubber) for7.99 and your problem will be solved. I put a piece of tape over the broken button and it's been working fine for over 2 months , no issues.. They come in 5 colors

I have those as well for the new key fobs from the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:35 AM   #8
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
I bought a new key from my dealer. $58 out the door and they cut it for free. Reprogramming was simple, put in old key, start the car, turn the car off, put in new key, start the car, done. Remote start may be a little different, not sure about that.

Someone mentioned swapping the internals with a new shell. I found that is easier said than done. These remotes are heavily glued together, they don't just come apart.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:43 AM   #9
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Someone mentioned swapping the internals with a new shell. I found that is easier said than done. These remotes are heavily glued together, they don't just come apart.
It actually is pretty easy. If the buttons are already broken, then prying and cracking open the OE fob isn't an issue. The replacements snap and screw together.

The replacement fobs I posted above snap and screw together and were very easy to swap. They also seem to be better quality than what came with our cars. I purchased a total of four. Two to replace my originals and two to replace the replacements when needed. At this point, I don't think the replacements will need replacing.

Last edited by Low Saturn; 10-14-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #10
gsxrturbo

Drives: 2010 ss
ebay that's where I got mone,work great,cheap
gsxrturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:37 PM   #11
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Ok, I know i'm a little off in the head, but when mine started to come apart I got a little Elmers Glue and pu a thin layer over the buttons. Been this way for a couple of years with no problems
Attached Images

PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #12
cam fan

Drives: fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
Ok, I know i'm a little off in the head, but when mine started to come apart I got a little Elmers Glue and pu a thin layer over the buttons. Been this way for a couple of years with no problems

I am glad you included a photo because this is how I would have otherwise pictured you:
Old 10-20-2017, 12:29 PM   #13
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
The dog is the smart one, tiny came up with it.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:20 PM   #14
PeteD

Drives: 2012 2SS Victory Red with white st
I also am wanting to do the smart key type on my Camaro. Cheapest, easiest fix for you right now would be to order a $10 key fob off Ebay , swap out the switchblade and program the fob. All very easy to do. I have videos on how to do it. Very simple,

Then get the smart key when you find right one. I thought there was a thread on here where someone had done the proximity key deal