Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 01-29-2020, 05:42 PM   #99
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engyj View Post
About this bad.

But yeah possibly 1-2 seconds faster on fresh. Unfortunately, the life of a cup2 is short lived when attached to a GT500. Its heavy, and wears down hard by the third lap. So this was as close to science as we could get with the resources we have. We try to control every variable we can, always.
Thanks for another great/entertaining video! I don't expect you guys to hang around and answer a bunch of questions, but I just had a couple quick ones.

1. This is the second time I've heard from a reviewer the CFTP GT500 is a better all around car than a ZLE. I'm honestly a bit confused by this for a couple of reasons. I'm a crazy person that DDs my ZLE as often as I can, even on dry days here in Minnesota's lovely winter. When I do this, I pick up my elementary aged daughter and her friend sometimes from school in the ZLE. Granted the rear seats aren't usable for anyone other than masochistic adults and children, but it is very useful for people like me with families/kids. My family also likes doing day trips in the ZLE etc, which again obviously neither of these are possible in a CFTP GT500. It is what has kept me from buying any two seater and the reason a lot of us love the performance in the 4 seater ZLE. Plus the ZLEs heated seats/steering wheel are nice that I don't think the CFTP has (I could be wrong).

Base GT500 vs a ZL1/ZLE, I completely agree that Ford wins in the better all arounder argument.

2. I know the GT500 tires were shot, but it is rumored the GT500 was in its track alignment and the ZLE wasn't. But, the CFTP also didn't have all of its aero pieces on. I'm curious what Randy thinks if both are on fresh tires, have their optimal track alignment and all aero pieces installed what the outcome would be at Willow, Laguna Seca etc?

If you don't have time to hang around the forums and answer questions, I 100% get it and will still like/subscribe to your videos.

Edit: I lied, third question, what are we really measuring in this pic/video?
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:46 PM   #100
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Some metrics about any "advantage" - anyone feel free to correct this info:

CFTP is faster in the 1/4 than the base on unprepped surfaces (same day, location).

Is the ZL1A10 any faster than a ZLE A10 on an unprepped surface?

Not sure there was any real advantage here - I missed their reasoning for using a ZL1 in the drag race.
The ZLE according to some sources is supposed to be 1 tenth of a second faster than the standard ZL1. However that 1 tenth is well within a driver's race. So I could see it going back and forth on which one is actually faster. I do not think throwing one over the other in the test is going to give GM the advantage. But I do tend to think that the standard ZL1 will be a bit faster. I personally do not care which ZL1 or ZLE they put up against which GT500 in either a drag test or around a track as I think both Zs are capable of holding their own.

As far as the GT500, I think the CF is the faster one in all conditions. I argued before that it would be stupid to pay $20K more and get a car that is slower in the most popular stat. But some (shaffe...surprise surprise) said the Base would be faster. Then it was turned around. So now I don't know which one people consider is the faster. I stopped caring because no matter which 500 loses there will be some BS sad story about how this or that or tires...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Agreed, it really is ridiculous but it is Ford we are talking about and I think this is something they would do. Like Blaq said, if they lose the excuse is tires, and if they win they look even better.

They created a no lose scenario to save face. I think they are scared tbh. bock bock Ford LOL
They basically crippled the car so it wouldn't lose. It's like...if you can't win, then just don't lose. Which is a shame. Every car showed up ready for battle except for the GT500 which is pretty pathetic. There is literally no excuse why that car should have shown up on tires that were as bad as they made them out to be. And once it did arrive, they should have sent it right back and published exactly what happened so people would know that Ford screwed up...intentionally.

I have nothing against RP. I respect him and this in no way changes my opinion of him. But if I am to offer criticism, I do not think it was right of him to make those statements that the 500 would have definitely won. Nobody knows that for sure regardless of how fast the GT500 was or whatever. It's like half a football team showing up and getting disqualified but then claiming they would have won if the entire team showed up. Again, them being professionals, statements like that should not come out of their mouth. I could see if he said it as his opinion. But to say it as a fact didn't sit right with me.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:48 PM   #101
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
And the regular GT500 is the best version of the 500 for the 1/4 but that point aside.

The reason it got dusted was the delay in the launch control... why there is a full 1 second delay I have no idea but there is. If you rewatch the drag segment, Jason talks about it then when the cars do take off, you can see the ZL1 is already up and moving and then Thomas say oh the delay then the 500 gets moving and that was all she wrote and the Camaro had a clean path to victory. And I am not using that as an excuse lol, that is literally what happened. In a race like that, that's just tough luck for the GT500. The ZLE would have done just as well

That 1 second delay could be the demise of a lot 500s at the strip. They might turn faster ETs but people might beat them because of that delay.
I wished they would have ran the base as well, but there's evidence that shows on street surfaces the base is not the faster gt500.

The lag definately sucks but it is what it is. It'll lose but turn in the faster slip like you said.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:49 PM   #102
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDFF View Post
Wonder how fast the gt500 will be with new Cup 2’s around big willow?
For two laps probably a second or two faster lol
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:51 PM   #103
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
Is the actual delay a second or is that just an exaggeration? Doesn't sound believable, but it's Ford.
It's not an actual full second lol
Old 01-29-2020, 06:02 PM   #104
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
It's not an actual full second lol
I figured, just wish people would stop exaggerating.. So, is it a tenth or 5 tenths?
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:23 PM   #105
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Maybe Ford knew they weren't gonna beat the ZL1/ZLE so they just gave up and sent the 500 there with the tires it had. I mean, why waste money on tires just for it to lose anyway?

So the GT500 in either form with it's roaring 760 HP has not been able to take away a clear victory against the ZL1/ZLE, the Base/Z51 C8, or the HC/RE.

Against the C8s it loses in the quarter mile.

Against the ZL1/ZLE it loses around a track and loses from a start to end in the quarter mile...judging by who gets there first.

Against the RE it loses from a roll.

Each of these cars start off cheaper than even the Base GT500. And it is not the clear winner in any category or stat except for private owner runs on a prepped track in ideal weather conditions. SMH.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:52 PM   #106
TreedYou

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS, 2013 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Maybe Ford knew they weren't gonna beat the ZL1/ZLE so they just gave up and sent the 500 there with the tires it had. I mean, why waste money on tires just for it to lose anyway?

So the GT500 in either form with it's roaring 760 HP has not been able to take away a clear victory against the ZL1/ZLE, the Base/Z51 C8, or the HC/RE.

Against the C8s it loses in the quarter mile.

Against the ZL1/ZLE it loses around a track and loses from a start to end in the quarter mile...judging by who gets there first.

Against the RE it loses from a roll.

Each of these cars start off cheaper than even the Base GT500. And it is not the clear winner in any category or stat except for private owner runs on a prepped track in ideal weather conditions. SMH.
Seriously, why doesn't ford just discontinue the GT500 already? what a complete failure.
TreedYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:20 PM   #107
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
The ZLE according to some sources is supposed to be 1 tenth of a second faster than the standard ZL1. However that 1 tenth is well within a driver's race. So I could see it going back and forth on which one is actually faster. I do not think throwing one over the other in the test is going to give GM the advantage. But I do tend to think that the standard ZL1 will be a bit faster. I personally do not care which ZL1 or ZLE they put up against which GT500 in either a drag test or around a track as I think both Zs are capable of holding their own.
Base GT500 vs ZL1? No additional performance options?

I would bet on the ZL1.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:56 PM   #108
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
Randy made the best comment ! He said I'm cheap ! And for the money the ZL1/1LE is a bargain. Think about this, for the price of the red eye or GT500 mark ups, you can buy 2 slightly used ZL1 and ZL1/1LE ! Now that's a steal even a blue collar worker can afford one ! I was born in the early 70s and I'm glad I have a chevelle in ZL1/1LE !(Dont forget the oil problems the GT350/R have so I wouldn't want ome myself) It's great to live in these performance times !

Last edited by Revalot; 01-29-2020 at 09:26 PM.
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:20 PM   #109
Turkish01

Drives: Camaro
Just watched the video, it looks to me like the Camaro has an aftermarket exhaust or cat back. Also it has Michelin tires on the front and Goodyear’s on the back? 2:47 and 2:52
Turkish01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:34 PM   #110
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Base GT500 vs ZL1? No additional performance options?

I would bet on the ZL1.

That is who I would be rooting for.

Which makes me think that when it takes THAT much to compete with the ZL1 and STILL lose, can we really say these cars are in the same league? These are very significant differences. The 13/14 GT500 was only about 83 HP more than the 5th Gen ZL1 and the pricing was similar. But now the pricing is on a whole different level and the HP difference is 110. With these numbers these cars should not even be close. Much less, the ZL1 actually beating the 500.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:45 PM   #111
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Agreed and already just like the GT350..........the GT500 forum is starting to have too many threads referencing poor reliability and build quality. I was/am watching to see if Ford stepped up their game and early on it isn't sounding great. I know Chevy has had their very public issues (especially with certain Vettes) and some oil pump issues on early ZL1s, but nothing like I experienced with my GT350 and what early on seems to be happening to the GT500. I still can't believe Ford (or any car company) has issues in 2020 with basic body panel alignment. To me this is just plain lazy and shows a complete lack of pride in your product.
Stangmode put out a video of his having a diff cooler line leaking and a bunch of under pinning bolts missing... it is a year one car though.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:47 PM   #112
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish01 View Post
Just watched the video, it looks to me like the Camaro has an aftermarket exhaust or cat back. Also it has Michelin tires on the front and Goodyear’s on the back? 2:47 and 2:52
The exhaust from the angle looks stock. But those definitely look like Michelin tires in the time stamp you mentioned.

However...6:57, Goodyears...7:14, Goodyears.