Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 01-13-2020, 04:38 PM   #6259
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
What are you even talking about? Advantage in every comparison? It has been in 1 legit comparison and one comparison that was just a mash up from two different articles. What are these other comparisons that give the GT500 every advantage and still loses in?

Yes acceleration in the mash up test it lost to the less powerful, 600 pounds lighter mid engine vette but both the base CFTP were faster around VIR.
Now in that article "Apparently, it was, as GM invited Randy Pobst, photographer Robin Trajano, videographer Alex Valencia, and me to Virginia International Raceway for a few hours of back-to-back lapping of two identical-looking C8 Corvettes: "

In the GT500 standalone article which was posted 3 days later

"We went to VIRginia International Raceway to grab the reins and yell, "Giddyup!""

MT just mashed up two different reviews that both happened at VIR. Who knows when they even tested the cars. They probably went to VIR with the GT500 bc they had data on the C8 and said a C8 Vs GT500 article will get tons of clicks/reads

Then there was the Icons test.
The GT500 beat the RE - which some here said it would not. GT500 down on power, down on torque but you are right, serious advantage for the GT500 there.
Then lost to a $300,000 Ferrari in the 1/4. The Ferrari has more HP, and weighs almost 600 pounds less. Serious advantage for the GT500 there again.

and then was a few tenths behind a $180K Porsche GT3RS on a road course. A car that according to Randy is one of the best track cars out there. Yes GT500 had the power and torque advantage but was almost 1,000 pounds heavier

Those are the only comparisons out right now for the GT500 unless I missed something. Road & Track has nothing, Car & Driver has nothing

What other comparisons are out there , as far as I know these are the only 2 and one of which is a mash up of two different articles. If there were ones I missed, I will gladly shut up and take the L. But you are making it seem like the GT500 has been in dozens of comparison test already

I am not say you didn't. That comment was someone asked Slither if Ford made the GT PP2 have everything the R does in a few years would the R still be special. He said he doesn't deal in what ifs. That is a hypothetical. I just found it odd you called him out on that when I have asked you hypotheticals as well and you basically said the same thing that you don't deal in what ifs.

But the Shelby was better in acceleration, faster on the road course where it matters.

according to Car and Driver the SS 1LE puts up better braking and better skid pad numbers than the ZL1....yes marginally better but its still better in the stat box whats your answer to that?

It's the same thing with this GT350 and PP2 comparison. PP2 might have had a better stat line in SOME areas but overall the GT350 still outperformed it.
The RE has more power and torque, but come on man, outside of a drag strip the RE is barely an 11 second car lol.

And careful, you'll russle some jimmies if you say the ss 1le does anything better than a zl1 lol.. all jokes aside, the zl1 and ss 1le are equipped the same handling wise with the zl1 being heavier, ofcourse the ss 1le will have the edge in certain handling behaviors. I didn't expect it but I'm not terribly surprised the pp2 brakes better than the gt350 considering it does have an equipment advantage with 305s up front. The lateral g's are a little surprising though but ultimately meaningless.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:31 PM   #6260
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Quick shout out to slither,
I would say your observations of woman driving Mustangs over camaros is a small sampling size. I work in the street just about everyday, from San Diego to los angeles county, and can say I see woman driving pony cars of all types. Mustangs, camaros, challengers, haven't really noticed them driving one over the other. Could also be on your commute, you generally see the same people. Just my observations but would add I personally consider my sampling group much larger, imo.
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:11 PM   #6261
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
New copy of Road & Track has a 2020 GT500 vs 2019 subaru STI S209 article.

Good grief.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:22 PM   #6262
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post

Good grief.
What tha....
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:24 PM   #6263
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
The point still stands Blaq wants to bash the GT350 because in two metrics on the stat sheet the GTPP2 did better. But once it went to the track, everything favored the GT350, it was more planted, more controlled, braked into corners better, and oh yeah it was faster. The point was it's possible for a lower level model to perform better in certain areas on a stat sheet but still lose everywhere else. that is what my SS1LE to ZL1 Example was pointing out.

C&D said the PP2 got its braking advantage and skid pad advantage from having 305 tires upfront vs the staggered set up on the 350, but literally everything else the GT350 was better at.
Is it just two metrics tho? Or has this not been a common theme with the entire S550? The GT is about half the price of the GT350 yet the GT beats the Shelby handily in the quarter mile. Now they're comparing the PP2 to the Shelby and the Shelby manages to lose in another performance metric. And for the 3rd time I ask if the GT350 is beating the PP2 after 3-5 laps when the PP2 starts fading off or is it in the first lap. I ask that because it stands to reason that if the PP2 was built to compete with the SLE and the SLE can beat the GT350 then the PP2 should be able to do very well against the 350. But in any case, if the 350 does perform better, then it's a shame when the only car the GT350 can beat is a lower trim Mustang. AT this point you could just save yourself some money, buy a PP2, throw some coolers on it, and call it a "GT350". Where have you seen anything like this with GM? Ok so the SLE brakes better. Well that is the SLE which is awesome in it's own right. And that is the only are where a SS can outperform a ZL1. So what Camaro or Corvette can the GT350 beat? Just the fact that they are comparing it is ridiculous.

You keep saying I'm bashing the GT350 yet even you yourself said it should have disappeared 3-4 years ago. Anyone buying that car is doing so for the emblems and (in some cases) because they think chicks dig it. But when you have a chick in your $60K Mustang and you get walked by a $30K base model GT then what does that look like? Or when your $60K GT350 is capable of beating only a lower trim cheaper version of a Mustang that was built without coolers then what does that look like?
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:24 PM   #6264
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:

Good grief.
I don't even know what to...
Old 01-13-2020, 08:36 PM   #6265
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Quote:

Good grief.
That’s best car they could get to compare to the gt500? It has less then half the HP. Does Ford dictate what cars it can go against?
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:44 PM   #6266
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Sure seems like Ford is not letting the mags run this thing against a Camaro.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:20 AM   #6267
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Funny timing...right in the middle of my debate with shaffe on the GT500 always having some advantage in comparisons. LOL!!
Old 01-14-2020, 06:45 AM   #6268
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13vertss View Post
That’s best car they could get to compare to the gt500? It has less then half the HP. Does Ford dictate what cars it can go against?
If your much anticipated halo model just got slapped by a base C8 in everything BUT a run at VIR would you want it competing against a ZL1? I wonder what Road and Track will find better on the Subaru than the Mustang.
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:56 AM   #6269
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:

Good grief.
Wow.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:56 AM   #6270
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:

Good grief.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13vertss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
Sure seems like Ford is not letting the mags run this thing against a Camaro.
In all fairness to Ford, I think this is a Road & Track thing, not a Ford thing. Sorta like the recent "Best Performance Car" contest that the Hyundai Veloster N won. Over the C8. And the new 911. Turns out it was a magazine re-writing the rules to be "Performance Car That Surprised Us The Most". Which magazine was that? (Hint: The words "Trend" and "Driver" are not in the title).

Maybe they're on a crusade to champion vehicles that anybody can afford.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:00 AM   #6271
GuywithL86

Drives: Black
I’m sure this has been discussed. But what is the camaro forum’s rebutall to the gt500 lapping the same time as the 991.2 gt3rs?

and the 991.2 gt3rs being significantly quicker the the zl1 1le?
GuywithL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:04 AM   #6272
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuywithL86 View Post
I’m sure this has been discussed. But what is the camaro forum’s rebutall to the gt500 lapping the same time as the 991.2 gt3rs?

and the 991.2 gt3rs being significantly quicker the the zl1 1le?
I can't speak for the forum, but personally I've held the opinion that the GT500 will do better than ZLE on tracks with long straights and fast curves. The ZLE's best chance will be on shorter, more handling focused tracks. Those might be a driver's race. More of an opinion than a rebuttal.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote