Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #29
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
So good job GM CEO lets make our american muscle cars more like the foreign versions by using lighter less durable materials. I personally love the weight of our cars. Then again i've been in a few accidents where my heavier american car practically made an audi dissapear in a shower of less durable materials. So everyone has their opinions i spose. Why is it that everyone thinks weights the issue that we're slower honestly i think it's the way our ECM's are programmed to limit the torque output.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #30
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Well.. The 2013 mustang 5.0 weighs in at 3675 auto tranny. 2013 camaro SS is 3900 lbs. big difference there. No ones asking GM to produce a tin can camaro. But it's not rocket science to cut 300 lbs off of a car that can still withstand a bit more HP or is it?

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #31
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
So good job GM CEO lets make our american muscle cars more like the foreign versions by using lighter less durable materials. I personally love the weight of our cars. Then again i've been in a few accidents where my heavier american car practically made an audi dissapear in a shower of less durable materials. So everyone has their opinions i spose. Why is it that everyone thinks weights the issue that we're slower honestly i think it's the way our ECM's are programmed to limit the torque output.
Thinking that weight isn't a problem with GM platforms is sticking your head in the sand.

It's been holding back very competent and competitive cars for years now. While it's true that at the time some of these overweight programs were in development, GM didn't have the cash, time, or resources to tackle the problem, they do now.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #32
FenwickHockey65

And besides, the 5th gen is built on a full size sedan's platform. That didn't help with weight at all.

Alpha was built with weight reduction and performance applications in mind. The 6th gen will be lighter and perform much better than the 5th gen.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #33
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I'm extremely surprised by the reactions in this thread. I would have figured that the people of C5 would have been out dancing in the streets from this news with all the complaining I read about on here, on a daily basis about weight.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #34
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I'm extremely surprised by the reactions in this thread. I would have figured that the people of C5 would have been out dancing in the streets from this news with all the complaining I read about on here, on a daily basis about weight.
If it's something that will make their 5th gens obsolete, Camaro5 members will hate it.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #35
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
If it's something that will make their 5th gens obsolete, Camaro5 members will hate it.

It is useless to fight the inevitable.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #36
Wizard1183

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Much of the ppl are excited for the new platform. Here's the issue at hand. We ALL know how popular this car has become. GM should've taken into account from the get go on weight reduction to compete. What you have now is a hope and prayer that the 6th gen looks as good or better than it is currently. We're behind our competitors a bit and that's frustrating. At the track the 1LE and ZL-1 are great cars. But the SS lacks in competition amongst its rivals no? I love my car, but I wish it'd be a bit more competive out the gate or following yr than to just have a few upgrades on components here and there that make no difference for whet the purpose of the car is for. And that's strictly performance.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #37
King Nothing
Under a Peterbilt

Drives: Rogue, Durango and Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
We only complain because the weight shaving is not enough. We want a feather light 500HP camaro that takes off the line like a rocket and blows the competition away like a hurricane
you want that buy a 4th gen shell and put a 5th gen drive train in it with some stroking on that LS3 you'll be there at half the price of a new 5th gen SS if you do all the work yourself
Sold-2000 Camaro SS A4 Hardtop #867 of 8913
1 of 103 Bright Rally Red Hardtop SS A4 in 2000
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 By Berger #11BC21
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #38
Wizard1183

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing View Post
you want that buy a 4th gen shell and put a 5th gen drive train in it with some stroking on that LS3 you'll be there at half the price of a new 5th gen SS if you do all the work yourself
That'd be ideal, if only it looked as good as the 5th gen

Old 03-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #39
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Um....broad-statement-much? You, of all people, fen...should be able to appreciate the concept of a "vocal minority"...further, the "I hate it now, but in 6 months I'll love it" crowd.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #40
FenwickHockey65

It's just an observation I've noticed. Anything new or changed is met with a good deal of resistance here. The only thing I can conclude from that is people simply don't want their 5th gens to become yesterday's news.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #41
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
It's just an observation I've noticed. Anything new or changed is met with a good deal of resistance here. The only thing I can conclude from that is people simply don't want their 5th gens to become yesterday's news.
That's fair. But by naming the site, I felt as though you were reflecting on the majority here, and I don't believe that's the case.....I'd also contend that it's less of an insecurity-based issue, and more of an extreme passion/enthusiasm or "I believe Camaro is: this - don't change it"...issue.

We saw this much worse right after the concept Camaro came out. Some 4th-gen die-hard absolutely hated the concept of a new Camaro as it developed........now, many of those folks are driving one.

...though, not all. You can't please everyone.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #42
FenwickHockey65

All I'm saying is the 5th gen's done its job, and it has done its job very well. It was saddled with a weight issue from the start (and if any of you remember, I was one of the people who hated it when people brought up and complained about the weight constantly), but GM managed to make the most of the car despite its shortcomings.

Now we're moving on to a brand new platform that promises to be lighter and perform much better than the 5th gen. I really fail to see the problem with this. As someone said earlier, I'm surprised at all the negative responses to what can only be a positive thing for the nameplate. One of the primary complaints about the 5th gen has always been the weight of the Zeta platform, and GM is addressing that. Somehow that's now a bad thing.

If people are worried that GM will simply cut corners to reduce weight, they're worrying about nothing as demonstrated by the ATS. The 6th gen will be just as durable, just as planted as the 5th gen.

Furthermore, note that Akerson's talking about weight reduction across the board. The Epsilon II platform is ridiculously overweight. In all honesty, every GM platform could stand to lose a couple pounds. It's not just Camaro we're talking about here.

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news