Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-22-2012, 03:30 AM   #365
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
It's also still a Datsun at that price. I think the GT-R gets snubbed frequently by it's nameplate. It's performance makes it a bargain indeed but there is little to no heritage. If you were going to spend $100,000 on a car, there are more identifiable and respected choices out there. They may not perform as well on a track but are more "prestigious" and don't resemble boy-ricer, play station games.

Are there sales numbers available for the GT-R? I rarely see them on the road, I'm wondering how many they actually sell...
Little to no heritage, while you mention it still being a "Datsun"... You probably haven't heard about the 240ZX, 260ZX, 280Zx. Some of the better Japanese sports cars in their time...

As for the GTR having "little to no heritage"... There's a reason why it's called R35 GTR. One word: Skyline. Introduced in the late 60s, with the Skyline 2000. I believe there was an R32, R33, R34 somewhere. With quite some interesting racing heritage...
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:25 AM   #366
Baltimorejohn1

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Yeah I like it also when they mention for $40,000 more you get what the GTR offers..... but the ZL1 is close.... not bad for $40,000 less
Baltimorejohn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #367
Andy@AMSOIL
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
Gtr great car but way too much money
Andy@AMSOIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:57 AM   #368
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
That was just fun to watch. I have a friend who owns a tuner company (Kaizen Tuning) and he owns one and it is truly a beast.

He is a real car lover, has had BMW's, Z06's, Firebirds etc. and his GTR is one of his favorites.
He does extremely well at track days!
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #369
zeke38

Drives: 2006 chevy 2500 lbz
I just have trouble buying things from japan or china. Guess im to old fashioned like that but i dont want a asian made product.
zeke38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #370
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
LoL... I bet by the time everyone on this Camaro 5 site adds some mods it will be close to the Nissan GT-R price range, from what I've been seeing about what folks want to mod on the ZL1..... I still like the ZL1 better
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #371
maverickmage

Drives: Camaro V6 LS
Just saw the video. Not sure if it was just me or not but all I heard was..

Blah blah blah... ZL1 is more fun to drive. Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah. The ZL1 is more fun blah blah blah.... The GTR is tame blah blah blah. ZL1 is hella fun to drive.
maverickmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #372
mr02Z/28

LoL... From what i took from the video... ZL1 was more of a DD and the GT-R was a better Track Car....
Old 02-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #373
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
It's also still a Datsun at that price. I think the GT-R gets snubbed frequently by it's nameplate. It's performance makes it a bargain indeed but there is little to no heritage. If you were going to spend $100,000 on a car, there are more identifiable and respected choices out there. They may not perform as well on a track but are more "prestigious" and don't resemble boy-ricer, play station games.

Are there sales numbers available for the GT-R? I rarely see them on the road, I'm wondering how many they actually sell...
Ummm....Skyline? That's some pretty good heritage, and if you can't tell the difference, there's a huge difference between a skyline and just about anything else...
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:33 PM   #374
mr02Z/28

I kinda think the GT-R is more of a status car, not a Daily Driver..... I live in Phila,PA and have seen Zero GT-Rs.... I have only seen 2 GT500s in the past few years...
Old 02-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #375
Cabinetman

Drives: 2015 ZL1
As a past GT-R owner (I've had both an '11 and '12) I found this comparison interesting. It seems that the ZL1 offers all the fun of the GT-R and close to the same performance for a lot less money.

I really liked the GT-Rs I've had because the car gives you so much confidence on the road. You can push the Nissan harder on public roads without as much fear of getting yourself in trouble. Also, the performance from a dig is incredible. I literally sent a buddy to the chiropractor with neck pain when I was showing off the launch control feature in the 2012. The downsides are the stiff suspension, noisy transmission and higher than average maintenance costs.

I've also owned a 2011 GT500 SVTPP and 2012 Boss 302. Unfortunately, my current financial situation has forced me to sell all the cars, but I'm hoping to make a comeback soon and possible order a 2013 ZL1. My father-in-law had a 2010 SS auto that didn't really impress me much, but it looks like the ZL-1 will be an entirely different beast. Hopefully, I will get the chance to drive one in the future.
Cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #376
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinetman View Post
As a past GT-R owner (I've had both an '11 and '12) I found this comparison interesting. It seems that the ZL1 offers all the fun of the GT-R and close to the same performance for a lot less money.

I really liked the GT-Rs I've had because the car gives you so much confidence on the road. You can push the Nissan harder on public roads without as much fear of getting yourself in trouble. Also, the performance from a dig is incredible. I literally sent a buddy to the chiropractor with neck pain when I was showing off the launch control feature in the 2012. The downsides are the stiff suspension, noisy transmission and higher than average maintenance costs.

I've also owned a 2011 GT500 SVTPP and 2012 Boss 302. Unfortunately, my current financial situation has forced me to sell all the cars, but I'm hoping to make a comeback soon and possible order a 2013 ZL1. My father-in-law had a 2010 SS auto that didn't really impress me much, but it looks like the ZL-1 will be an entirely different beast. Hopefully, I will get the chance to drive one in the future.
Thanks for posting -- welcome to the site!!!
Old 02-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #377
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
For the life of me, (dropping chaff & flares, donning flak jacket) nothing for nothing...but....how can one logically talk on the same plane, in the same venue, on the same playing field, about an all wheel drive versus a rear wheel drive, at all...in any way shape or form. They are worlds apart mechanically different. Two rear wheels working in tandem with two front wheels that pull and push the car at the same time in comparison to the other car being pushed by two. Can we evenly compare Godzilla versus Mothra (pun intended)...Clark Kent vs Walker;Texas Ranger...Terminator versus Predator.....apple versus orange, ok..now....Ginger...or Maryann ???? And now, back to our program, for something completely different........
Old 02-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #378
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
For the life of me, (dropping chaff & flares, donning flak jacket) nothing for nothing...but....how can one logically talk on the same plane, in the same venue, on the same playing field, about an all wheel drive versus a rear wheel drive, at all...in any way shape or form. They are worlds apart mechanically different. Two rear wheels working in tandem with two front wheels that pull and push the car at the same time in comparison to the other car being pushed by two. Can we evenly compare Godzilla versus Mothra (pun intended)...Clark Kent vs Walker;Texas Ranger...Terminator versus Predator.....apple versus orange, ok..now....Ginger...or Maryann ???? And now, back to our program, for something completely different........
OSC, I think you meant Alien vs. Predator.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote