Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 05-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #1
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Aero balance question

hey hey everyone i'm back, and hopefully for quite awhile. I've missed this community ^_^

I've seen a lot of threads about Wickerbills and Front Splitters here and it got me pretty interested. However, at this point I am not willing to go all out on a complete body kit to make my car look like a Z28. I did have a question however about buying a splitter and / or wickerbill, separately.

I've read many reviews on this car before I bought it a few years ago, and a key compliment was that it feels perfectly balanced. If I was to get a wickerbill (which i'm looking at the ZL1 Addons 2-piece), would that throw off the balance, decent enough to where i'd notice? And would the contrary apply if I got a extended front splitter first?

Our splitters and spoilers are nice, but I really love that aggressive wickerbill look. Mainly I'm curious to know if our front splitter is good enough to hold its ground against a wickerbill, and vice versa if I got an extended front splitter.
guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:07 PM   #2
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
My 13 1le had a ZL1 spoiler and belly pan, I noticed rear downforce accelerating 60-120mph. 140+mph I noticed a progressive bias of downforce favoring the rear with the front end getting light if not lifting. On my 15 1le I wanted a more stability in the front. I have the following; ZL1 Bellypan, Z28 splitter, Z28 grill, Z28 front wheel canard and deflectors, Z28 wickerbill(stock spoiler) cheated up as far as I could go, hood vent baffle removed. It feels very level now from 60-110mph, have not gone any faster. There is no sensation of the rear or front moving downward or upward now. It is just flat and even, makes cruising at 100mph seem like 80mph. Now, as far as turning at speed, not sure(I think not) but is there that much of an improvement in downforce to increase handling. My opinion is that it just evens out the downforce/aero just enough to increase straight line stability. All said and done, is it worth $1k? I think so, it's $500 for performance and $500 for apperance as far as I am concerned. I feel the same way as you, I did not want a Z28 clone. I wanted increased performance with the best look and after reasearching I felt OEM was the way to go for me.
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:12 AM   #3
guerrillakilla13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Ice View Post
My 13 1le had a ZL1 spoiler and belly pan, I noticed rear downforce accelerating 60-120mph. 140+mph I noticed a progressive bias of downforce favoring the rear with the front end getting light if not lifting. On my 15 1le I wanted a more stability in the front. I have the following; ZL1 Bellypan, Z28 splitter, Z28 grill, Z28 front wheel canard and deflectors, Z28 wickerbill(stock spoiler) cheated up as far as I could go, hood vent baffle removed. It feels very level now from 60-110mph, have not gone any faster. There is no sensation of the rear or front moving downward or upward now. It is just flat and even, makes cruising at 100mph seem like 80mph. Now, as far as turning at speed, not sure(I think not) but is there that much of an improvement in downforce to increase handling. My opinion is that it just evens out the downforce/aero just enough to increase straight line stability. All said and done, is it worth $1k? I think so, it's $500 for performance and $500 for apperance as far as I am concerned. I feel the same way as you, I did not want a Z28 clone. I wanted increased performance with the best look and after reasearching I felt OEM was the way to go for me.
oh wow, thanks for sharing your experience. I'm a DD i don't track this monster because it is the only car I have. I'd mainly do it for aesthetics, but the concept of downforce is something I love so that's a plus. It's good to know when the downforce really kicks hard.

Yeahh nothing is quite as good as OEM and I understand why you went that route!
Old 05-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #4
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
I would not add just a wicker.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #5
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
I agree with Matty's assessment. I have the ASC front splitter and rear wicker ill, and have noticed a more planted feel at speed while tracking the car, basically a more flat feeling. Top that with the fact it looks awesome. Well worth the cost.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:00 PM   #6
guerrillakilla13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I would not add just a wicker.
that is my thought process, but a wicker is 150 whereas a front splitter is 500. huge price difference there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
I agree with Matty's assessment. I have the ASC front splitter and rear wicker ill, and have noticed a more planted feel at speed while tracking the car, basically a more flat feeling. Top that with the fact it looks awesome. Well worth the cost.
I was planning on getting an ASC front splitter at a later date. The ZL1addon's wickerbill is so much cheaper then the splitter. I just didn't know if getting a wickerbill, without any extra downforce up front, would feel weird.

That flat feeling must make the ride that much better, I already love how it feels now. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:02 PM   #7
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Take a long hard look at the Z/28 splitter. Notice it is bigger on the outer 1/3s than the inner 1/3. Why?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:32 PM   #8
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
So you break it hitting stuff with it and have to buy a new one? During installation and admiring my hard work after, I have noticed very subtle features of the splitter. When you look at it from many different angles, there are very specific curves, bends, and slopes to it. It seems overly complicated compared to the aftermarket ones. It is a very unique splitter. I hope you are going to enlighten us with some interesting facts about it.
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:48 PM   #9
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
There is a z/28 style splitter in eBay for $250. I think someone on this forum has used one, it sure about the details. I found another one for $150 but it seemed to have less holes to attach to the underside. There is also a wicker bill on eBay for less than $125. I'm considering these along with the ASC canard or z/28 canard.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote