Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
12RS/Synergy

Drives: '12 RS/Snyergy V6 manual
Solo hi-flo cats/short throw shifter

Hey guys..new to the Camaro world and I'm making plans for my first mods to my 2012 lfx..I have seen some using the solo hi-flo cats with a cat-back exhaust..but also reviews that say they are waste..they do nothing..before I spend 700.00 on them..can I get some thoughts from the seasoned pros?..as far as exhaust..I like the sound of the Corsa (cat-back) so as of right now I'm planning for that. And why I'm at it..opinions on short throw shifter?

Thanks!
12RS/Synergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:44 PM   #2
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
In states requiring CARB parts like CA and most likely NY, high flow cats are illegal. I'd prefer cutting the cats off if you're looking for performance gains because that will give you more power and is only for the cost of labor rather than labor plus $700 parts. HFCs can still turn on the MIL although they might not, but for the tiny gains it would be better to go catless IMO. Both are illegal so you'd have to worry about smog for either one, unless you don't have smog
which in NY, you do. Check with someone else in NY and see if the parts are required to be carb compliant as I suspect first, but either way I'd still go with the catless, keep the old cats, and put them back on in case of a fix-it ticket or smog
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:56 PM   #3
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
Upstate NY they only plug in to the obd port to make sure all is working properly. Downstate they probe the exhaust to get an actual reading of your exhaust. Upstate you can run hi-flows as long as there is no CEL.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:00 PM   #4
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmginc View Post
Upstate NY they only plug in to the obd port to make sure all is working properly. Downstate they probe the exhaust to get an actual reading of your exhaust. Upstate you can run hi-flows as long as there is no CEL.

In CA it is the same with the OBDII test, but there is also a visual check to make sure stuff is working, such as making sure the CEL actually works, emissions parts are not modified or defective. So at least here we are still required to look under the car and make sure those cats are OEM or legal. It is probably the same there. Hopefully a smog tech there can chime in
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
Not where i live.

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:06 PM   #6
12RS/Synergy

I've watched most of my inspections...never see them raise the car any higher then to pull a wheel for brake check..the solo mention they are not carb compliant but are sufficent to pass and to date have no cel reported...maybe I'll just pass on them...thanks for the input fellas
Old 10-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #7
Chris14RS

Drives: RRM RS v6
SOLO hfc's are a great mod! Gave me more torque and some nice passing power o the highway. Drone is basically gone from installing tru-X and MRT v2. Sounds great too!!!

As for SS...I have the Barton one. Only downside is it is loud. All of the sound deadening material has to be removed from the stock assembly. It makes a rattle sound when you get on it, but its not that bad. The action is nice though.
BARTON SS
Airlift Suspension V2

Niche Targa 20x10.5
Chris14RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:22 PM   #8
12RS/Synergy

A friend has the Barton also..Chris have you had problems with inspections?? or as I see yours is a 14 it hasn't been redone yet?
Old 11-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
djcfuzz
Do somethin fun every day

Drives: 2012 45th V6 RS M6
Go with the MGW shifter. Very happy with mine.
djcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:24 PM   #10
camaro1350

Drives: 2013 Camaro RS 1LT, 6M
I have the Solo HFC and have no CEL light and had them on for about a year. They are great and highly recommend them. I also have the Corsa and don't regret those either.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #11
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
I've had the Solo HFC's for 2 years (or 20k miles if that tickles your fancy) and haven't had the CEL come on. Good mod for the power too, though I think the sound is too smooth for what I'm looking for now. Totally worth it though.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote