Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #15
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony. View Post
well living in NY, catless will not allow you to pass inspection, and HFC's wont throw a code if built well.. these don't throw a CEL, and you'll also pass inspection. basically closest thing to going catless while still passing inspection. oh, and even with a tune on catless pipes, when hoooked up to obd it will show a not ready, so you wont pass. sucks but how it goes.
I do smogs here in CA and it's the same. To me I can justify welding the cats back on every 2 years, considering the cars are exempt for smog for the first 6 years. Also in NY, solo HFCs are illegal and if the smog tech is doing his job right he will fail the car. They have to be carb approved in NY and CA (unless this has changed, I'm pretty sure NY also follows the strict rules like CA)

In CA, if a car comes in with aftermarket catalysts I have to check the number and make sure it is a legal replacement. There are no legal replacements for any 2010+ Camaro at the moment, meaning for me at least, HFCs and catless will both fail and one costs a ton of money while the other is essentially free since I can just cut it off and weld it back off.

Also, this wouldn't void warranty. It actually would extend the life of my catalytic converters if I decided to put them back on. A tune would, of course, but if you don't mind the CEL just go catless until you need a smog and weld them back on later. Then you drive around til the monitors are ready, pass your smog and go catless another 2 years

or is the smog every year in NY?
this is just the best thing to do in CA. Saves you a LOT of money, both are illegal and fail smog, but catless has more power.
And since catalysts go bad, HFCs will also bad... sooner than a regular one. They aren't going to warranty those either.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #16
Chris14RS

Drives: RRM RS v6
Camguynj- Excellent! I did get my cel after about 100 miles and a few engine cycles as well. I have the extenders from SOLO on there now. Its weird. I'll try tightening them up...maybe they backed off a tad since install.
BARTON SS
Airlift Suspension V2

Niche Targa 20x10.5
Chris14RS is offline   Reply With Quote