Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-16-2016, 10:40 PM   #1
alextop30

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro 1LS
2013 Camaro LS (V6) Clutch Replacement

Hi everyone, I read some old threads on clutch replacements search the forums and I cannot seem to find any good information so I thought I'd ask.

My Camaro is going in for some repairs like Sabilitrack System is constantly beeping at me telling me it needs service. I need to get my front looked at because my wheel shakes every time I get over 60 miles per hour and I need a new clutch.

It is obvious that I need one I have been quoted 1200 from the dealer to get it done but I feel a bit skeptical buying another crappy clutch since my car only has 45,000 miles on it and it has not been driven hard. Usually I change gears at 3000 RPM only few time in the 4 years I have my car have I shifted at a high engine noise.

What clutch would you recommend that would last for a person who mainly drives very carefully and has the rare situation where they change gear in the 5k RPM range?

Everything on the car is completely stock!

Thank you all in advance
alextop30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:19 PM   #2
C_Amaro92

Drives: 2015 1LS
I would also like to know what aftermarket options are out there for v6 camaros

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
C_Amaro92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:02 PM   #3
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
depends on how much you want to spend lol. Monster Clutches makes a twin disc clutch for the LLT and LFX
http://monsterclutches.com/gen5-v6-multi-disc-clutch

There is also the SPEC but it requires the new flywheel as well which turns me off. Hate messing with the engines balance

http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...ch-sc363-2.htm
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:58 PM   #4
C_Amaro92

Drives: 2015 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkentect View Post
depends on how much you want to spend lol. Monster Clutches makes a twin disc clutch for the LLT and LFX
http://monsterclutches.com/gen5-v6-multi-disc-clutch

There is also the SPEC but it requires the new flywheel as well which turns me off. Hate messing with the engines balance

http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...ch-sc363-2.htm
The monster clutches are reputable?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
C_Amaro92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:26 PM   #5
alextop30

I saw some pretty terrible things about monster clutches, like the balancing weight coming completely off the clutch and basically wrecking everything in there. Below is the video!

Old 08-18-2016, 05:25 PM   #6
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by alextop30 View Post
Hi everyone, I read some old threads on clutch replacements search the forums and I cannot seem to find any good information so I thought I'd ask.

My Camaro is going in for some repairs like Sabilitrack System is constantly beeping at me telling me it needs service. I need to get my front looked at because my wheel shakes every time I get over 60 miles per hour and I need a new clutch.

It is obvious that I need one I have been quoted 1200 from the dealer to get it done but I feel a bit skeptical buying another crappy clutch since my car only has 45,000 miles on it and it has not been driven hard. Usually I change gears at 3000 RPM only few time in the 4 years I have my car have I shifted at a high engine noise.

What clutch would you recommend that would last for a person who mainly drives very carefully and has the rare situation where they change gear in the 5k RPM range?

Everything on the car is completely stock!

Thank you all in advance
I don't understand the Chevy clutch going out so soon. My old V6 Beretta had nearly 100,000 before I needed a clutch and I didn't shift easy, but I rarely slipped it.

Do you slip it every time you start to move? You shouldn't need to do that. There is enough gear in these cars to roll off the clutch without any gas.

Do you sit at stop signals with the car in gear? That builds heat in the throwout bearing which can transfer to the pressure plate.

Personally I would just put in another Chevy clutch. If history follows you will get at least another 3 years to 90,00 miles. It will be easier on your leg than an aftermarket clutch.
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:45 PM   #7
styx84

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
I don't understand the Chevy clutch going out so soon. My old V6 Beretta had nearly 100,000 before I needed a clutch and I didn't shift easy, but I rarely slipped it.

Do you slip it every time you start to move? You shouldn't need to do that. There is enough gear in these cars to roll off the clutch without any gas.

Do you sit at stop signals with the car in gear? That builds heat in the throwout bearing which can transfer to the pressure plate.

Personally I would just put in another Chevy clutch. If history follows you will get at least another 3 years to 90,00 miles. It will be easier on your leg than an aftermarket clutch.

I just got my 2014 1LS back today from the dealer. Clutch and flywheel replaced under warranty at 19k miles. I've only owned it since 18k and it was like this when I bought the car. I don't know how the previous owner drove it, but a clutch crapping that soon is ridiculous.

It took them 3 weeks to get the clutch parts in because they were back-ordered. That tells me the stock clutch is junk and they're replacing a lot of them.
styx84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:26 AM   #8
alextop30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post

I am not slipping every time I start moving. The problem is that I will soon. I start moving near the top of the clutch depress. When I want to start off the line a little faster the clutch definitely slips every time.

At the light I do not sit in gear - pretty hard on the car to do that and also pretty hard on my foot. I basically shift into gear at the light when it becomes green.

Seems that the stock clutches are real crappy. The part that is really terrible is that they are wear and tear items so no way to convince GM that they put a shit part in it. This is also why I want advice on replacing it with something that will last for at least another 5 years - or more than 45k miles.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:29 AM   #9
alextop30

Quote:
Originally Posted by styx84 View Post
I just got my 2014 1LS back today from the dealer. Clutch and flywheel replaced under warranty at 19k miles. I've only owned it since 18k and it was like this when I bought the car. I don't know how the previous owner drove it, but a clutch crapping that soon is ridiculous.

It took them 3 weeks to get the clutch parts in because they were back-ordered. That tells me the stock clutch is junk and they're replacing a lot of them.
I am actually going to try to call GM today and see if they can at least tell me how long they expect their clutches to last. When I ask my mechanics at the dealer all of them give you all kinds of silly answers half of which you know not to be true right off the bat even if you do not have car from them or you are not a car guy!
Old 08-19-2016, 11:30 AM   #10
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
I'm pushing 55k on mine and drive it every day. Still feels like it did on day one, and I drag race and autocross. Either you got a defective clutch, or somethings needs to be adjusted with your car and/or driving style. Good luck. Hope you get it fixed.
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote