Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-15-2016, 01:52 AM   #71
genuineduke

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS
In case you guys cannot see the pictures from last post:
https://goo.gl/ELDZii
https://goo.gl/BUiW8q
https://goo.gl/3XI9pE
https://goo.gl/zin6LQ
https://goo.gl/JPLnwd
genuineduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:19 AM   #72
yijgbnu

Drives: ford
Here's a picture too, it's good to get second opinions. I haven't had any problems with them moving off place though.
yijgbnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:26 AM   #73
hzisfrom1994
ZYJ

Drives: 2017 1SS Camaro/6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by genuineduke View Post
seriously, next time click go advance right below this message window, and attach the pictures. its getting annoying - -, and you are the first one i have seen in this forum that is doing (having this issue) this lol.

=)

btw, still cant see the last pictures even when clicking the links.
hzisfrom1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #74
hzisfrom1994
ZYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
Proper install on '14 +

oh thank you sir, thats a nice picture of my car LOL.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:40 AM   #75
hzisfrom1994
ZYJ

before, how my MRT with single tips used to look, nothing at all like yours, installed and weld in a muffler shop as well.

and now, look that quad tips!! screw single tips, just perfection lol
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2016, 09:57 AM   #76
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
Here's the thread on my setup. MRTv2's, CAI intake with air scoop, Magnaflow resonated x-pipe, and stock resonator delete. I did everything myself since I had the capability and didn't want someone screwing it up. There are a lot of pictures in my threads that you can look at.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302280
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360523

Mine is a '13, so it's a different diffuser than yours, but nonetheless, I hope this helps. I will say (as you can read in my threads) that the drone doesn't really die down. Like others have said, it's a resonant frequency thing and the only true way to eliminate it is with the J-pipes. I opted just to muffle it with the resonated x-pipe and resonator delete. It helped a lot and I'm happy with it.

Also, the MRT exhaust is stainless. Are the pieces they hacked in between the tips and mufflers stainless as well? If not, you're going to have two rusty bands of metal before long.

As others have shown with supporting pictures, there is no reason they could not have fixed the stick-out issue without hacking your new exhaust apart. And them blaming it on MRT's instructions? Please. Any competent mechanic with a head on his shoulders could have figured out how to install them correctly, without even so much as glancing at any instructions. The shop is basically stating, "We follow what the paper says, even if it's wrong and we mess up. Then, instead of being professionals and fixing it correctly, we just blame the paper being wrong."

Hopefully you get this resolved to your liking. I know if it were me in your shoes, I'd be demanding they refund the full cost of the MRT plus anything they charged you, and I'd be going to a different shop.

Good luck with your fight!
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items

Last edited by snymat68; 03-15-2016 at 10:28 AM.
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:11 AM   #77
genuineduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzisfrom1994 View Post
seriously, next time click go advance right below this message window, and attach the pictures. its getting annoying - -, and you are the first one i have seen in this forum that is doing (having this issue) this lol.

=)

btw, still cant see the last pictures even when clicking the links.
lol, will try attachment next time. I was using inserting photo by hyperlink.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:15 AM   #78
genuineduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzisfrom1994 View Post
before, how my MRT with single tips used to look, nothing at all like yours, installed and weld in a muffler shop as well.

and now, look that quad tips!! screw single tips, just perfection lol
Quad tips definitely rocks. One of my buddies got his 1LT + Auto + RS Package + GM NPP Quat tip exhaust for 31K at local dealer. The sound is amazing, and no drone at all.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:18 AM   #79
genuineduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by snymat68 View Post
Here's the thread on my setup. MRTv2's, CAI intake with air scoop, Magnaflow resonated x-pipe, and stock resonator delete. I did everything myself since I had the capability and didn't want someone screwing it up. There are a lot of pictures in my threads that you can look at.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302280
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360523

Mine is a '13, so it's a different diffuser than yours, but nonetheless, I hope this helps. I will say (as you can read in my threads) that the drone doesn't really die down. Like others have said, it's a resonant frequency thing and the only true way to eliminate it is with the J-pipes. I opted just to muffle it with the resonated x-pipe and resonator delete. It helped a lot and I'm happy with it.

Also, the MRT exhaust is stainless. Are the pieces they hacked in between the tips and mufflers stainless as well? If not, you're going to have two rusty bands of metal before long.

As others have shown with supporting pictures, there is no reason they could not have fixed the stick-out issue without hacking your new exhaust apart. And them blaming it on MRT's instructions? Please. Any competent mechanic with a head on his shoulders could have figured out how to install them correctly, without even so much as glancing at any instructions. The shop is basically stating, "We follow what the paper says, even if it's wrong and we mess up. Then, instead of being professionals and fixing it correctly, we just blame the paper being wrong."

Hopefully you get this resolved to your liking. I know if it were me in your shoes, I'd be demanding they refund the full cost of the MRT plus anything they charged you, and I'd be going to a different shop.

Good luck with your fight!
Thanks for your suggestions. I will go ahead and check out your posts.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:20 AM   #80
PerfMufffler

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Pitch forks and torches!

Hi, guy. Russ at Performance Muffler here.

Just wanted to clear up a few things about the install we did on genuineduke's Camaro. We followed the MRT instructions to the T. The cuts were made in the correct locations and the mufflers fit the valence. The tips stuck into the valence only about an inch. (The valence on the 14-15 models being 3 inches deep). genuineduke wanted the tips to reach toward the outside edge of the valence. In order to extend the tips we had to cut and lengthen the piping between the hanger and the tip. (We used SS as the kit is obviously SS). This brought the tips into an acceptable position for genuineduke. This is the only way to extend the tips as the MRT exhaust is a "fixed" exhaust and can only slide along the stock muffler tube. This means that if we pull the muffler "out" and off of the stock tube the muffler, as a whole, moves toward the outside of the vehicle. If we slide the muffler "in" and on the tube, the muffler moves to the inside of the vehicle. There is no adjustablility for the in/out position of the tips, they are determined by the factory at MRT. Attached are diagrams showing what I mean.

Thank you all for your concern for genuineduke's Camaro, you can rest assured that the system was installed perfectly according to how our customer wanted the system to fit.
Attached Images

PerfMufffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:44 AM   #81
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfMufffler View Post
Hi, guy. Russ at Performance Muffler here.

Just wanted to clear up a few things about the install we did on genuineduke's Camaro. We followed the MRT instructions to the T. The cuts were made in the correct locations and the mufflers fit the valence. The tips stuck into the valence only about an inch. (The valence on the 14-15 models being 3 inches deep). genuineduke wanted the tips to reach toward the outside edge of the valence. In order to extend the tips we had to cut and lengthen the piping between the hanger and the tip. (We used SS as the kit is obviously SS). This brought the tips into an acceptable position for genuineduke. This is the only way to extend the tips as the MRT exhaust is a "fixed" exhaust and can only slide along the stock muffler tube. This means that if we pull the muffler "out" and off of the stock tube the muffler, as a whole, moves toward the outside of the vehicle. If we slide the muffler "in" and on the tube, the muffler moves to the inside of the vehicle. There is no adjustablility for the in/out position of the tips, they are determined by the factory at MRT. Attached are diagrams showing what I mean.

Thank you all for your concern for genuineduke's Camaro, you can rest assured that the system was installed perfectly according to how our customer wanted the system to fit.
Performance Muffler,

Granted, the mufflers probably did not extend far enough, as you stated, but this is where you, as a professional shop, could have set yourself apart from the rest. Instead of just blindly following the instructions, you could have held the new exhaust in place and easily seen the offset and asked the customer if that was ok, before you ever made a cut.

If he would have not liked the setback, you could have explained what you just explained above, and given him the option (perhaps at an added cost above the quote) to have the pipes extended to correct the issue. You could have spliced the pipes just behind the hangers above the differential. That would have give the purely linear offset you needed, without cutting apart a brand new exhaust. Or at least let the owner make the call with whether or not to cut the new exhaust.

Instead, you chose to be "maliciously obedient" as they say, and follow the directions to the T, resulting in this entire issue. That, in my opinion, is where you went wrong. Instead of stepping up and showing your professionalism and giving the customer an explanation of a foreseen issue and options to correct it, you just did the easy thing, followed the (perhaps incorrect) directions, and hoped it would be "good enough" for him.

I'm not saying you were wrong in what you did. I'm saying you could have been more professional and transparent with the process. In the end, it's the little things that make the difference, and I think in this case, a lot of little things were just brushed off as not important. If you are well versed with MRT products and their fitment issues (as you said you are), then you should have let the customer know about these potential issues up front.

Hopefully everyone involved can come to an agreement and get this resolved. And hopefully in the future your shop ups its game and doesn't make such silly mistakes again.
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:31 PM   #82
genuineduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by snymat68 View Post
Performance Muffler,

Granted, the mufflers probably did not extend far enough, as you stated, but this is where you, as a professional shop, could have set yourself apart from the rest. Instead of just blindly following the instructions, you could have held the new exhaust in place and easily seen the offset and asked the customer if that was ok, before you ever made a cut.

If he would have not liked the setback, you could have explained what you just explained above, and given him the option (perhaps at an added cost above the quote) to have the pipes extended to correct the issue. You could have spliced the pipes just behind the hangers above the differential. That would have give the purely linear offset you needed, without cutting apart a brand new exhaust. Or at least let the owner make the call with whether or not to cut the new exhaust.

Instead, you chose to be "maliciously obedient" as they say, and follow the directions to the T, resulting in this entire issue. That, in my opinion, is where you went wrong. Instead of stepping up and showing your professionalism and giving the customer an explanation of a foreseen issue and options to correct it, you just did the easy thing, followed the (perhaps incorrect) directions, and hoped it would be "good enough" for him.

I'm not saying you were wrong in what you did. I'm saying you could have been more professional and transparent with the process. In the end, it's the little things that make the difference, and I think in this case, a lot of little things were just brushed off as not important. If you are well versed with MRT products and their fitment issues (as you said you are), then you should have let the customer know about these potential issues up front.

Hopefully everyone involved can come to an agreement and get this resolved. And hopefully in the future your shop ups its game and doesn't make such silly mistakes again.

Just want to be fair. I messured my OEM exhaust they cut off. The cut point was correct. And I have to agree that whether they push in or pull out the exhaust, the tips will not be centralized. Seems that MRT V2 exhaust is not fitting 2015 Camaro well.

snymat68, I cannot agree more with your summarize. Yes we could have avoid this at the very beginning and it would be great if they could offer me more options even with an adding cost. Yes, it's the little things that make the difference. They could have been more professional with this process. Lots of things haven't been made clear enough through out the installation process

Owner of the muffler shop has been reaching out to me trying to get this resolved actively and sincerely. That's why I temporarily deleted the review, I don't want to be difficult, and ruin their business, everyone makes mistakes, but as long as they try to resolve it, and let others learn from it, we should be good.

I think this thread has brought up several issues as follows:
1. Is MRT V2 exhaust fitting 2015 Camaro perfectly? No.
2. Is it ok for the tips not sticking out from the diffuser? No.
3. Should we always weld the exhaust and pipe instead of clamping it? Yes.

So, as a mod rookie, this is a lesson for me. And I should be more careful for future mod. For any other people who has a 2015 Camaro and want to install MRT V2, hopefully they can see this thread before making decision or decide how to install.

For muffler shops, not just Performance Muffler, will be great if they can interact with customers more, be more transparent, and provide more options instead of following instructions blindly.

And thank you guys for all of your kind suggestions and advice. You guys are making this forum an awesome place.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:39 PM   #83
PerfMufffler

Drives: 1969 Camaro
We keep in mind customer budgets and concerns. We opted (With customer approval) to extend the MRT Exhaust rather than the factory exhaust tubing, because this was a easier modification and would therefore incur less costs. (We did the modification for $30). To modify the factory tubing we would have had to charged at least 2 hours labor ($90hr x 2= $180).
We have installed many of these MRT axle-back systems before and we have never had a problem or complaint. The instructions are clear and easy to follow, the customer did not have a problem until his passenger tip shifted due to a clamp slipping. The tip rotated toward the valence and began to over heat the plastic. (We recommend a re-torque after about a week, but obviously he needed one sooner). He came back the next day and we (free of charge) adjusted and re-torqued his exhaust. At which time the customer requested for us to extend his tips to the outside edge. We suggested the afterfore mentioned repair, and the customer agreed.
Now we pride ourselves on our customer serve and quality of work, for reasonable prices. IF you can find a better deal than what the customer recieved I would like to know the name and location of that business.

EDIT: Added a picture showing why we had to modify his kit vs the stock tubing. The factory hanger cannot be moved any more than 3/4" toward the rear of the vehicle without falling off. We extended the pipe 1.5" to reach the back of the valence. We HAD to modify the piping where we did, as it is the only location available after the hangers. This was all explained to the customer on location.

Edit2: All work and done with customer approval and all options were explained at the time of the work. At no time was the customer out of the loop as to what or why we were doing what we were doing. We allowed the customer to watch all work being done, and we answered any and all questions he had at the time of the install.
Attached Images

Last edited by PerfMufffler; 03-15-2016 at 12:57 PM.
PerfMufffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:58 PM   #84
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
As I look at these pics, I have to wonder, I see some axle backs listed as 2010-2013 and then a different part number for 2014-15. The rear valence is certainly different, could this be the issue here? It seems that MRT is listing the part as 2010-2015, but the valence on the 2010-13 seems to have a steeper slope than the refresh models. However, the only difference in part numbers is v6 or v8. I have seen some systems listed with different part #'s not only for v6 and v8 but also '10-'13, or '14-'15. So could it be possible that MRT needs to measure a differently between the two models? Just a question.

Either way, I would have wanted the shop to fix it the way they did. It just seems that the less you mess with the factory part, the better off you may be in the long run. At least that's how I see it.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote