Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
maxx210

Drives: EVERYTHING BLACK 1SS/RS
R2C Performance CAI

Has anyone heard of these guys, or has anyone here used them? Just taking opinions. Thanks.

http://www.r2cperformance.com/ They have a camaro ss CAI. Like I said, just taking opinions.
maxx210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Been out for a while but hasn't been a big hit. There are members here on C5 that have them but the Camaro intake market is hard to break into when you have to compete with proven systems like CAI Inc and Vararam.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
mattsfirstSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
I have an R2C. I cant compare it to any others however, it installed easily and nicely. Does seal against hood (evident from transfer marks on both) and I noticed improved sound, power and maybe throttle response but its been a while since I installed it so I dont remember what stock was like anymore. I was pleasantly surprised on the first drive after I installed it. Power and sound was noticeable and made me happy. $285 is a good price IMO also.

A lot here swear by CAI brand and they do look nicer but I think they are more expensive and I read a couple reviews that said they got more performance out of R2C on different sites (not R2C affiliated) and thats what I wanted not looks.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsfirstSS View Post

A lot here swear by CAI brand and they do look nicer but I think they are more expensive and I read a couple reviews that said they got more performance out of R2C on different sites (not R2C affiliated) and thats what I wanted not looks.
Ted Jannetty's last intake test included the CAI Inc and R2C. The R2C did well but did not produce as much as the CAI Inc. It is a good intake it is just up against some stiff competition.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
mattsfirstSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Ted Jannetty's last intake test included the CAI Inc and R2C. The R2C did well but did not produce as much as the CAI Inc. It is a good intake it is just up against some stiff competition.
fair enough...in the tuning column it says tuning recommended, do the numbers he shows include tuning or no?

Edit: Nevermind I see he adjusted the trim for R2C
Old 11-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
EvoWake
SSTOCK

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have one on mine, can't say much about it but I haven't had any issues, and not having to worry about an oil filter is a nice perk.

EvoWake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
mattsfirstSS

CAI gets 5 more hp and less than 1 lb ft of torque more for an extra 115 bucks and looks nicer...better deal, probably. The original 2009 results for CAI compared to the 2010 results are drastically different. They made some nice changes in there I guess...or the test isnt perfect.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
CAI gets 5 more hp and less than 1 lb ft of torque more for an extra 115 bucks and looks nicer...better deal, probably. The original 2009 results for CAI compared to the 2010 results are drastically different. They made some nice changes in there I guess...or the test isnt perfect.
The difference in the CAI Inc numbers from test 1 to test 2 is a perfect example of why back-to-back testing is necessary for apples-to-apples product comparison. Different cars will respond differently on different days (weather).
Old 11-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
mattsfirstSS

Quote:
The difference in the CAI Inc numbers from test 1 to test 2 is a perfect example of why back-to-back testing is necessary for apples-to-apples product comparison. Different cars will respond differently on different days (weather).
Yeah im saying the error tolerance is likely equal to any differences in the results. Meaning it may or may not mean anything. I have NO idea how the testing was performed, same day? same car? bench? weather? number of runs? car temp? there are SO many variables.

Basically as long as your engine is getting CLEAN COOLER air it was a good move...
Old 11-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
mattsfirstSS

Quote:
He also trimmed the AF on 09 and not at all in 10
Old 11-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #11
maxx210

Drives: EVERYTHING BLACK 1SS/RS
Ok, great for the responses and thank you. The price was actually a big thing for me when considering what to choose. I really do like that I wouldn't have to clean the R2C filter, but I do want the intake to look nice and match the car. I guess I just have to justify the extra cash that would be spent on the CAI Inc cai.
maxx210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
Warpaint69

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS
We run their air filters on my Cousin's Northern Sport Mod Engine. Great product in that dirty application.
Warpaint69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #13
mattsfirstSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpaint69 View Post
We run their air filters on my Cousin's Northern Sport Mod Engine. Great product in that dirty application.
Yeah they have more of an off road history but its nice to know you are getting a good filter you dont need to oil.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #14
Warpaint69

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS
Quote:
Yeah they have more of an off road history but its nice to know you are getting a good filter you dont need to oil.
We ran the same filter for 30 races. It was a hot, dry, dirty sucker in Kansas this summer. He'd just blow it out with the air compressor. The 2 previous years we ran Wix racing air filters, I much prefer the R2C filter.

http://www.r2cperformance.com/dirt-m...r-filters.aspx

I know its an entirely different application than a CAI for a Camaro, but I would recommend their products.
Warpaint69 is offline   Reply With Quote