#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 11-20-2017, 06:10 PM   #15
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
Have you actually read the whole thread?
It's explained many times in that thread why his experience was different than other people who had fantastic results with them (due to driving style).

I did use many "good" pads and I find the ST series much better than the others for track use, all things considered.
Read the whole thing.

And have used that pad on multiple cars despite my initial impression.

They are near garbage.

Braking use on track is extremely subjective. That is something many people forget when shopping for track day pads.

The ST-45/47 is a reasonable alternative to the DTC60/XP16. The ST-43 is similar to a Hawk HP+ or XP10. Good initial (cold) bite, but evaporate near instantly at moderate (+400F) temps.

The stock 1LE pad is better than the ST-43.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:18 PM   #16
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
...The stock 1LE pad is better than the ST-43.
Is this some kind of joke? I don't see the "/s" in your post.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:30 PM   #17
MatthewAMEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Is this some kind of joke? I don't see the "/s" in your post.
Hardly joking.

If you check the spec AND drive the pad, you will quickly realize.

But, if you are a 'numbers guy'...

http://www.racetechnologies.com/brake-pad-comparison

FYI - I drove the ST-43 on my 2000 SS and my 2013 FoST with Wilwood FNSL6. The ST-43 always came up short when compared to the Hawk/Carbotech. They are cheap. That's all they have going for them.

But, honestly, brake pad discussions are like tire discussions. Completely subjective. Buy what 'feels' right to you.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
Old 11-20-2017, 07:21 PM   #18
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
FWIW, the rotor part numbers you were given are for the Cadillac ATS-V and are not the same part numbers as listed for the Duralife slotted rotors for the 6-piston brake upgrade.

Now, does that matter? No clue...just was playing with part numbers between the site you got your quote from and TGMPG and there's a few hundred bucks in the delta.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:06 PM   #19
MatthewAMEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
FWIW, the rotor part numbers you were given are for the Cadillac ATS-V and are not the same part numbers as listed for the Duralife slotted rotors for the 6-piston brake upgrade.

Now, does that matter? No clue...just was playing with part numbers between the site you got your quote from and TGMPG and there's a few hundred bucks in the delta.
Probably a vendor error. The SS 1LE front Caliper is the same as the ATS-V, and C7 GS/Z06 (iron).

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
Old 11-21-2017, 08:25 AM   #20
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Quote:
...But, honestly, brake pad discussions are like tire discussions. Completely subjective. Buy what 'feels' right to you.
So crucially, you haven't run ST-43's on your 1LE, despite you claiming to have pad comparison wisdom. Tisk, tisk. Also, if you had read that entire thread you linked as Cem called you out on, you would've read my review of them midway through this track season.

What is it lately here with people saying completely wrong stuff and then doubling down on it? Especially with guys that should know better.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:30 AM   #21
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post
Hi guys,
I came to the point that my standard 4 pots is holding me back on the track. It's not the stopping power, but the overheating and pad glazing/rotor hot spots.
I talked to my favorite Online GM parts vendor and he suggested the 1LE kit for $1500 or ZL1 kit for $1700. Both do not includ pads.
Which kit should I go with?
Ok, to the OP. My vote is for the ZL1 setup. The Camaro SS's front end ducting as it is from the factory is marginal for the 1LE setup and the front calipers are getting borderline too hot. The bigger rotor of the ZL1 will alleviate that a bit.

The counterpoint is; what wheel diameters are you running? If you want to run 18"s, then the only answer is the 1LE setup, as the ZL1 brakes are 19"+.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #22
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Ok, to the OP. My vote is for the ZL1 setup. The Camaro SS's front end ducting as it is from the factory is marginal for the 1LE setup and the front calipers are getting borderline too hot. The bigger rotor of the ZL1 will alleviate that a bit.

The counterpoint is; what wheel diameters are you running? If you want to run 18"s, then the only answer is the 1LE setup, as the ZL1 brakes are 19"+.
Thank you for your Input. As of now, I'm running 20's. Might go down to 19" down the road.
I have a feeling I'll also have to order a new dust shield.

PS- found this pic online:
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2017, 09:01 AM   #23
MatthewAMEL

Quote:
So crucially, you haven't run ST-43's on your 1LE, despite you claiming to have pad comparison wisdom. Tisk, tisk. Also, if you had read that entire thread you linked as Cem called you out on, you would've read my review of them midway through this track season.

What is it lately here with people saying completely wrong stuff and then doubling down on it? Especially with guys that should know better.
Well, you are right about not running the ST-43 on the 1LE. And you are also right about my experience with them on two other cars could be different than on this one.

But...based on my experience with that pad in two different applications, I think there are better pads for the money.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
Old 11-21-2017, 09:28 AM   #24
Ryephile
Hot Dog

LOL that picture.

Quote:
...I think there are better pads for the money.
I'll agree it's possible, but given how amazing the ST-43's performed this season on my 1LE, on top of the incredibly low wear-rate, I'm keeping them.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:49 AM   #25
RXtacy

Drives: 93 RX-7, 17 SS 1LE, 04 RX-8
Quote:
I'm not sure that's a given. I believe I've seen ZL1 folks on 18" wheels (can't remember the thread now). Also there is a decent amount of clearance with 18's on my 1LE. I'm not sure how much larger exactly the ZL1 brakes are, but I didn't think it was that much.
RXtacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #26
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXtacy View Post
I'm not sure that's a given. I believe I've seen ZL1 folks on 18" wheels (can't remember the thread now). Also there is a decent amount of clearance with 18's on my 1LE. I'm not sure how much larger exactly the ZL1 brakes are, but I didn't think it was that much.
I'm always open to new information. If you find the link please post it here.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #27
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Pretty sure 18's wont fit. The 19's on the ZL1-1LE's fitment is so tight you can't easity fit a microfiber towel between the caliper and the wheel barrel. The calipers placement and the 20mm larger front rotors look very very tight in 19's. If you find info on fitting 18's, please do post.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #28
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:

Quote:
Well, you are right about not running the ST-43 on the 1LE. And you are also right about my experience with them on two other cars could be different than on this one.

But...based on my experience with that pad in two different applications, I think there are better pads for the money.
I've been using them on different cars for years ..tried other brands and switched back to them for cost, longevity and performance. I am not saying that ST43s or and pads can solve all of the braking issues and there's always room for improvement on a heavy car like ours. I am just saying it's easy to misjudge when the overall brake performance may suffer from other things like brake fluids, caliper temps, overall cooling efficiency...etc The fact the you find the OEMs are more sufficient than the ST43s makes me question your assesment on the pads themselves

Quote:
If you are referring to 18" Apex PS7s, I'll tell you right away it's not happening. Our rotors are 14.6" and ZL1s are 15.4", it's a very tight fitment already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Pretty sure 18's wont fit. The 19's on the ZL1-1LE's fitment is so tight you can't easity fit a microfiber towel between the caliper and the wheel barrel. The calipers placement and the 20mm larger front rotors look very very tight in 19's. If you find info on fitting 18's, please do post.
I heard that there are some custom 18" forged wheels (CCWs as far as I can remember) which clear the 15.5" CCBs that come with the Z07 package because of the arm design of the wheels, no first hand experience though
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote