Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-11-2024, 01:25 PM   #1
Tyrolblue67

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Camaro
Oil Pump Replacement Video

I came across a recent Youtube video of a shop in Sweden replacing an oil pump on a Gen 6 ZL1.
They didn't remove the engine. They loosened the motor mounts enough to raise the engine a bit. This enabled them to completely remove the oil pan. Clean off all the mounting surfaces then re-install everything.
Looks like a big job. I don't think I would trust a dealer service department do mine if it was ever needed.
I "think" Katech would actually remove the engine to swap out the pump?
I wasn't able to attach the link.
Perhaps someone else here with more proficient cyber skills can?
Just thought I'd share.
Tyrolblue67
Tyrolblue67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 01:29 PM   #2
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
You are correct, you do NOT need to remove the motor to swap the pump. BUT... what it seems like many people are doing... is utilizing the labor needed to swap the pump, and doing a cam swap at the same time.
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 05:02 PM   #3
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Its 5 more hours work to pull the engine and put a cam in.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 08:18 PM   #4
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolblue67 View Post
I came across a recent Youtube video of a shop in Sweden replacing an oil pump on a Gen 6 ZL1.
They didn't remove the engine. They loosened the motor mounts enough to raise the engine a bit. This enabled them to completely remove the oil pan. Clean off all the mounting surfaces then re-install everything.
Looks like a big job. I don't think I would trust a dealer service department do mine if it was ever needed.
I "think" Katech would actually remove the engine to swap out the pump?
I wasn't able to attach the link.
Perhaps someone else here with more proficient cyber skills can?
Just thought I'd share.
Tyrolblue67
I wouldn’t trust a dealer to do any work on my car, period. Even if the tech’s are good. It’s a business, and they are motivated to get the job done as quickly as possible, so they can move on to the next job. The more work they do the more they make.
Camfab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 09:16 AM   #5
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfab View Post
I wouldn’t trust a dealer to do any work on my car, period. Even if the tech’s are good. It’s a business, and they are motivated to get the job done as quickly as possible, so they can move on to the next job. The more work they do the more they make.
Not to defend dealer mechanics but all shops are going to make repairs or improvements as quickly as possible. All shops are in business to make money. Some dealers have great mechanics and some performance shops have terrible mechanics and vice versa.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 03:47 PM   #6
Fenmore

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
Not to defend dealer mechanics but all shops are going to make repairs or improvements as quickly as possible. All shops are in business to make money. Some dealers have great mechanics and some performance shops have terrible mechanics and vice versa.
Yes of course, but most performance shops the owner is there working everyday and his name is on the line. I think you have a much better chance of getting better quality work at a performance shop and that better quality work at a lower price.
Fenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 02:05 AM   #7
Camfab

Quote:
You’re right, except you’ve never met me. My level of expectation is rarely exceeded by anyone but myself. Sounds cocky, but my OCD with mechanical things tends to go off the charts. With absolute certainty I can say virtually all dealers and performance shops are terrible. Yes a few legitimate companies exist, but the vast majority are terrible.
Old 04-14-2024, 12:48 PM   #8
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfab View Post
You’re right, except you’ve never met me. My level of expectation is rarely exceeded by anyone but myself. Sounds cocky, but my OCD with mechanical things tends to go off the charts. With absolute certainty I can say virtually all dealers and performance shops are terrible. Yes a few legitimate companies exist, but the vast majority are terrible.
I will say this with great respect to the quality your OCD demands, you are making your own life more difficult and frustrating. Yes, there are crappy mechanics and even performance shops that just want to fleece a customer and then do the job as quickly as they can get away with, but I don't think that's the norm outside the flat rate world of dealership service departments.

Trying to attain that last 0.1% you insist on at all times requires an inordinate amount of extra effort (when it's your job) and results in a similar degree of concern, worry and frustration (when it's anyone else's), at least that's what it did to me... if you are willing to surrender just 1%, your happiness level, ro shall I say, potential qualify of life, will take a quantum leap.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 08:42 PM   #9
Camfab

Arpad I’m not disagreeing with you, it can be all consuming. Maybe it’s a CA thing, but people here are rarely about doing the right thing. Honestly I’d surrender more than 1%, 10%, but it’s always the same thing. I read this somewhere….. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on you again because I wanted to believe in you; fool me three times, yeah I should’ve seen that coming.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:42 AM   #10
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
I had my oil pump replaced at a dealer here in Albuquerque. The dealer technician is the most conscientious and competent technician I have ever had the pleasure of having work on my car. They took a couple of weeks, as he took his time between other jobs, and perhaps waiting for parts. I'm lucky I found him.

I also stress out about people working on my cars.
Mark R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 12:26 PM   #11
Cardiak

Drives: Boat
I haven't seen much info but do boosted LT1's have this same issue with the oil pumps?
Cardiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 01:57 PM   #12
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
I dropped my car off this morning to have my oil pump replaced this morning and did my due diligence to find a known mechanic that works on Corvettes and Camaros. Mine is being done just to make the car better not as a repair. Hopefully his reputation precedes him.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 05:53 PM   #13
george
ZL1 Driver

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & BMW M3/E92
Quote:
I dropped my car off this morning to have my oil pump replaced this morning and did my due diligence to find a known mechanic that works on Corvettes and Camaros. Mine is being done just to make the car better not as a repair. Hopefully his reputation precedes him.
Keep us posted. I'm lookin at RPM in Delaware.
george is offline   Reply With Quote