Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-04-2015, 10:36 AM   #267
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
I would err on the side of 2xx is the most you are going to save, and the higher trims are going to save you less weight.
When Reuss says, the Camaro will be 200 pounds less, I think he means exactly what he said.

He will have a huge credibility gap if it was 200 pounds less for a 2.0T compared to a Gen 6 V6 and less for the 1SS/2SS.

Here is what everyone has to remember................ALPHA is TEANY TINY compared to Zeta. I have one of each in Sedan form in the garage right now. ATS is vastly smaller than the SS. So 200 pounds is simply being a smaller car. The "at least" is from additional engineering and making a great Camaro.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:18 AM   #268

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
It's good to see GM making more believers from those who thought significant weight savings was unattainable with the new Camaros....from "it just won't be any heavier", to "at least 200 lbs. less", who knows what's next....Might actually even get closer to the sacred Corvette weight....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:59 AM   #269
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Agility can also have to do with weight.
For sure it could....it's just that I don't see 200lb alone making the cut for "agility" .

When you are driving your car with a full tank as opposed to an almost empty one, you are pretty darn close to 150-200lb less when empty. Does your car feel more agile when close to empty? Hmmmmm, perhaps. Maybe a better example, when driving around without a full sized adult in the passenger seat. Does it feel less agile then? Perhaps, but IMHO, that weight savings alone is not significant enough to define it as more agile. Now if you are driving around WITH BOTH an empty tank and minus a passenger, as opposed to a full sized adult and a full tank of gas combined, then it starts to become more clear that there is an agility difference when tossing it around.

IMHO, from the drivers perspective on agility, the '16 Camaro would definitely have to be paired with a reduction in all around size along with the 200lb weight reduction.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:10 PM   #270
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I don't think they will be that much smaller than the 5th gen.
Here is one of the pictures I made last week. My Camaro overlayed with one of the Camoed cars parked in close to the same parking space. There was a lot bigger difference in the 4th and 5th gens.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2015, 12:12 PM   #271
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
^^^lol^^

I'll agree with you Angrybird 12, it probably won't be THAT much smaller, and like everything else, marketing has a way with words, but we shall all see soon!

Can't wait for Randy to put it through its paces on Willow Springs track.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:31 PM   #272
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
If there is one constant thing all 5th gen owners have said they would have GM improve its been the weight. For 6 years Camaro owners and fans have been saying drop the weight. I think GM did in fact drop the weight by as much as they said. I am sure GM gets told only a million times a day to drop the weight. After 6 years I'm sure its been beat into their brain. Also, its not like 3700lbs for a SS is light by any means. My 4th gen's curb weight was in the 34xxlb range. Some are making it out as if a 3700lb SS is some impossible feat or something. Guys, the 5th gen Camaro was a fat ass bitch to begin with. Taking 200lbs off her with a lighter smaller platform sounds totally doable to me.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:34 PM   #273
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
Some are making it out as if a 3700lb SS is some impossible feat or something.
With today's government safety standards, today's consumer demand for creature comforts...and our demand for high performance and bullet-proof dependability....It is.

This news of 200 lbs lighter...and the knowledge that it's being built using the Alpha platform...suggests very strongly that the car has gotten smaller. Consider for a moment where and how the metals and plastics are located in the car. If it stays close to the same size, where are you going to pull 200+ pounds of material out without compromising structural integrity? Or quality?

How much smaller it gets, only the team knows. But I hope we're all prepared for the implications of that. I predict much complaining that people want their 5th-gen size back...
Old 04-06-2015, 03:48 PM   #274
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I agree...that the days of a 3,400 lb Camaro SS are long gone (at least...for the next generation or two), but I fully believe we'll end up somewhere around the 3,700 mark for a base SS. Not looking for a light weight...but just a more acceptable weight. In today's world, this weight is perfectly acceptable for a modern V8 pony car.

A lighter, and possibly tiny bit smaller car (but doesn't have to be) is pretty much exactly what I've always wanted my 5th gen to be. If the 5th gen was the same size as a 4th gen, but with essentially the same chassis, suspension, body, and all of that scaled down to 4th gen size it would likely lose 200 lbs just from that alone. If this newer car takes a step to being closer to 4th gen size, I see no issues with that at all.

Dang, May 16th can't get here fast enough.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:48 PM   #275
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
The new Mustang GT is about 3700 lbs in its base form.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:49 PM   #276
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
As long as its as big as a 1st gen it will be plenty big enough for me. Plus, I think to meet ever demanding MPG regs cars are going to have to get lighter. I don't think engine and trans tech is going to be enough to get mpg standards up. I think weight is one area where all mfg's will have to address for future cars.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:56 PM   #277
Mr. Wyndham

Now...let's mix in the concept of "exotic materials".

Aluminum and composite suspension components are confirmed.

Carbon fiber bits not for show, but for weight?

Aluminum body panels?

That all translates into $$$$$$...
Old 04-06-2015, 07:36 PM   #278
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
As long as its as big as a 1st gen it will be plenty big enough for me. Plus, I think to meet ever demanding MPG regs cars are going to have to get lighter. I don't think engine and trans tech is going to be enough to get mpg standards up. I think weight is one area where all mfg's will have to address for future cars.
Depends on what number you are considering.

For highway, 50% is aerodynamics and that is a combination of the slipperiness of the vehicle Cd and the size of the vehicle which is cross sectional area. Combined you get CdA. The next is mass (rolling resistance) which accounts for another 30% and powertrain efficiency is the rest. That is why although everyone thinks 8 speed transmissions and AFM are huge, the powertrain is the least responsible.

For City, it's another story. Getting the weight moving is a huge deal. Aero really doesn't start to play until 50 plus mph.

So combined mass has the biggest impact across both city and highway.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:02 PM   #279
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Depends on what number you are considering.

For highway, 50% is aerodynamics and that is a combination of the slipperiness of the vehicle Cd and the size of the vehicle which is cross sectional area. Combined you get CdA. The next is mass (rolling resistance) which accounts for another 30% and powertrain efficiency is the rest. That is why although everyone thinks 8 speed transmissions and AFM are huge, the powertrain is the least responsible.

For City, it's another story. Getting the weight moving is a huge deal. Aero really doesn't start to play until 50 plus mph.

So combined mass has the biggest impact across both city and highway.
I once taught my students about this concept this way:

I brought in a half a sheet of plywood, and a large truck wheel/tire. On a windy day - I set up a relay. I asked them to walk the sheet of plywood (by themselves) across the yard for 25 yards, turn around, and walk it back. Then they were to roll the tire the same course. I timed them...and calculated speed at about .25-1 miles per hour (depending on the kid)

By the time we were done, they were panting and tired.

I explained that we expect engines to do the same job...except much faster...which proceeded into the classroom lesson including graphs showing an exponential increase in wind resistance drag vs speed.

In my opinion, and it may be a unique one...the fact that we can get 3700 pounds of metal and plastic pushing through the air at 65mph over a distance of 25 miles, and only use a gallon of liquid fuel doing it is astonishing.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:12 PM   #280
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
I'm just excited its going to be lighter. I'm one of those few guys that love the retro look. I'm hoping its similar to the 5th gen, just smaller and lighter, and I hope it has a unique interior. I really like the 5th gen interior. I like the gauge pods, but I think we are loosing those.

I just want it to scream Camaro !!!!!!!
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 camaro pounds, 2016 camaro spy, 2016 camaro spy photo, 2016 camaro spy photos, 2016 camaro spy pics, 2016 camaro weighs, 2016 camaro weight, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2016 chevy camaro pounds, 2016 chevy camaro weight, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen camaro weight, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation