Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-18-2015, 07:42 PM   #1
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
New TX Inspection Law 2015

New TX Inspection Sticker Law explained:

I found two good websites that explain the new Inspection Sticker laws well.

this article....
http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/stat...ehind_91122584

And this Official Texas website....
http://twostepsonesticker.com/

Any additional questions I might be able to answer
Old 01-18-2015, 07:42 PM   #2
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

AUSTIN — Texans’ windshields will soon have a little more real estate.
Instead of two stickers — one for registration and one for inspection — the state law is moving to a single sticker for registration and inspection.

The change, which becomes effective March 1, came from an amendment to House Bill 2305 during the 2013 legislative session from state Sen. Royce West, D-Dallas.

Beginning in March 2015, inspections will electronically pass to state authorities and allow for registration.

The charge for inspection and registration will stay the same, although the portion of the inspection charge that belongs to the state will be paid during the registration part of the process.

The state requires that vehicles be inspected annually to confirm basic safety features and conformity with emissions standards.

Under the current system, many vehicles have registration and inspection stickers that expire on different dates. The new regulations are crafted to ensure that owners don’t have to pay for two inspections in one year.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:43 PM   #3
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

Here’s a more detailed overview of how renewing your vehicle’s registration will take place after March 1, 2015.

Before issuing your registration renewal notice, TxDMV will check the state inspection records for your last inspection. If your inspection record cannot be found, is expired or failing, you will not receive a registration renewal notice. Instead, TxDMV will send you an Inspection and Registration Notice informing you that no record could be located. The notice will remind you that an inspection must be completed in order to renew your vehicle registration.
Here are more details related to your renewal method choices:

OnlineIf you have a current, passing inspection in the database, you will be able to complete your online renewal and your new registration sticker will be mailed to you.

If you do not have a current, passing inspection in the database and you are unable to certify that the vehicle is out of state, you will need to obtain a passing vehicle inspection or visit your local county tax assessor’s office and present your current vehicle inspection report (VIR) to complete your renewal.
By MailIf you have a current, passing inspection in the database, your local county tax assessor’s office will process your renewal and your new registration sticker will be mailed to you.

If you DO NOT have a current, passing inspection, your renewal will not be processed. Your county will request that you provide verification of inspection.
In-PersonIf you have a current, passing inspection in the database, the clerk will proceed with your renewal. Inspection will be verified electronically at the time of renewal.

Most inspection records will be available in real time, but there may be instances when the record is not immediately available. If your vehicle passed inspection but the system is unable to electronically verify it, you may present the current, passing VIR you received from the inspection station to the county at the time of renewal. Your inspection will be verified manually, and you will be permitted to renew your vehicle registration.

If you are renewing your registration at a county subcontractor location, such as your local grocery store, they may not accept your VIR as proof of inspection. Each county will determine whether their subcontractors can verify inspection via VIR. If a subcontractor is not permitted to verify via VIR, you will be directed to the county office to complete your renewal.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:10 PM   #4
KeepItShut

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS
Damn, it's nice to have it all done at the same time... But lump sum $100 is kinda crappy
KeepItShut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #5
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItShut View Post
Damn, it's nice to have it all done at the same time... But lump sum $100 is kinda crappy
Hah, you whiners.

My license plate renewal fees are over $260 per year. And we don't even have any inspections!
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:02 PM   #6
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

Not quite sure how it all works out in the end, still getting the details as they come out. For sure I know that Law Enforcement can verify your insurance and registration by running your license plate in Texas, not sure if that is going to be the same for the new inspection law. The way I read it, is that if you get an inspection done before the registration changes occur and it can be verified, you can pretty much register your car for the maximum of 3yrs and not worry about getting another inspection till that 3 yr registration expires.

Last edited by Sapper12b; 01-19-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Sapper12b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:08 AM   #7
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

Sapper12b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:10 AM   #8
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

Key Elements
Beginning March 1, 2015, stations will no longer issue inspection stickers for a passing inspection. All inspections – pass or fail - will require the issuance of a Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR), which will be presented to the motorist by the inspection station.

Through the last business day of February 2015, passing inspections will result in an inspection sticker issued to the vehicle.
Effective March 1, 2015, the price charged by the station for inspections will change as the station will no longer collect the state’s portion of the fee. There will be no changes to the actual inspection process for any of the classes of vehicles currently requiring an inspection.

Registration / Inspection Scenarios
• Example 1: Inspection expires December, 2014; registration expires March, 2015:
Vehicle must be inspected by Dec. 31, 2014, and the station must affix an inspection sticker to the vehicle with an expiration of December 2015. The station will collect the total inspection fee for the type of inspection being conducted. When the vehicle owner seeks registration renewal in March 2015, DMV or county tax assessor/collector will verify the record of a passing inspection in the DPS inspection database and issue the renewal registration sticker to the vehicle. The owner will only pay the registration fee.

• Example 2: Registration due March 2015; inspection expires April 2015:
When owner seeks registration renewal, DMV or county tax assessor/collector will verify passing inspection in the DPS database and issue the registration sticker to the vehicle.

• Example 3: Inspection expires November 2015; registration expires March 2016:
Following the expiration of the inspection sticker in November, the vehicle may be operated without a valid inspection sticker or VIR (Texas Transportation Code §548.602 repealed effective March 1, 2015). To register the vehicle, the vehicle owner must obtain a passing VIR no more than 90 days in advance of registration expiration.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:21 AM   #9
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

Is this is all to confusing for you , go to the website set up by the Texas Legislator and click on the "CALCULATE MY DATE" and it will tell you whether or not you need to have a vehicle inspection done when you renew your registration.

http://twostepsonesticker.com/
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2015, 05:24 AM   #10
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Yearly inspection? I thought Texas was supposed to be free.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #11
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

It's a bit confusing for some people but ask any questions and I'll try to answer them
Old 02-28-2015, 11:07 AM   #12
lownslowss
PaPa Smurf

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Only the smaller outlying counties don't have emissions. Everyone has safety.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #13
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

New law is in affect, daily bump
Old 03-02-2015, 11:46 AM   #14
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
Thanks for posting this. I read about it last year when it was announced but I needed a refresher on it since my Ranger is due in Mar and April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
Hah, you whiners.

My license plate renewal fees are over $260 per year. And we don't even have any inspections!
You clearly haven't met me. I'd whine if it was $20. LOL
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote