Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #141
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I wonder though, what about the Corvette? At least in the beginning it started out as a 6 cylinder only, it may have to return to its roots so to speak..
A good engineer will weigh all solutions to a problem, if only for a moment.

At least for now...the Corvette team decided a turbo-charged V6 didn't provide the same balance of fuel economy and performance they wanted for their car...and so they decided to stick with the V8, besides the long-standing heritage of the Corvette always having a V8, except for those first few years.

My guess is that during development, they played with the same TTV6 featured in the new Cadillac CTS Vsport.

...Also remember...the original Corvette, out of the gate wasn't designed to be a performance car. That was Zora Duntov's work shortly after...and ever since, it's had only a V8...Camaro, ever since inception, was meant to appeal to a much broader audience.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #142
2014v6

Drives: 2014 black 2 LT
They need to make it a universal platform. That plays well with a host of crate engine upgrades after the purchase... i dont think that will impact CAFE..also will give hot rodders a dream platform to swap engines in and out along with suspension upgrades diffs the works...

Capability of a build it yourself crate car but also can manufacture if you dont want to or need too...
A direction i dont think they consider... the current model is close...
2014v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #143
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014v6 View Post
They need to make it a universal platform. That plays well with a host of crate engine upgrades after the purchase... i dont think that will impact CAFE..also will give hot rodders a dream platform to swap engines in and out along with suspension upgrades diffs the works...

Capability of a build it yourself crate car but also can manufacture if you dont want to or need too...
A direction i dont think they consider... the current model is close...
I wonder if they could drop a 4 banger in and make the LT1 a "Dealer Installed Option". Just joking...
Old 11-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #144
2014v6

Drives: 2014 black 2 LT
Lol...i still want the caddy twin turbo in my 2lt...
TPW 7-22-13(6-14-13)
3300 status 6-28-13
3400 status 7-18-13
3800 status 7-20-13
4200 status On its way home
6000 status 7-31-13 first camaro ever...
Sold 7-5-14.. thank you oshawa assembly
2014v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #145
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
A good engineer will weigh all solutions to a problem, if only for a moment.

At least for now...the Corvette team decided a turbo-charged V6 didn't provide the same balance of fuel economy and performance they wanted for their car...and so they decided to stick with the V8, besides the long-standing heritage of the Corvette always having a V8, except for those first few years.

My guess is that during development, they played with the same TTV6 featured in the new Cadillac CTS Vsport.

...Also remember...the original Corvette, out of the gate wasn't designed to be a performance car. That was Zora Duntov's work shortly after...and ever since, it's had only a V8...Camaro, ever since inception, was meant to appeal to a much broader audience.
They did, and found it didn't add anything to the car besides cost, complication, and ... irritation ... of their loyal customer base.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #146
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
They did, and found it didn't add anything to the car besides cost, complication, and ... irritation ... of their loyal customer base.
My comment about the corvette was based on the comment about eventually there will be no V8s made by GM Ford or Chrysler. In that case the corvette could still have a 6 cylinder because it is part of their heritage. Not that it will happen any time soon.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #147
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Just thought of something, I've been looking at the new Stingray, and contemplating whether or not to trade-in my ZL1. First though I want to see it in as many color choices as possible. So far five colors and three different interiors. I've already ruled out Black and the Torch Red. Loved the Night Race Blue, Velocity Yellow, and the Crystal Red. Also for the interiors I love the Kalahari and the Red. Last must see color on my list is the Arctic White.

Anyway the comment I wanted to make is I just realized how I'm always laughing and making fun of the idea of putting a Four Banger in a muscle or sports car. And I just thought about the different modes in the Stingray, one specifically "E" as in Economy Mode. Say Whaaaat? Does that mean I'll be Driving a Four Banger because four cylinders shut down??? Have to think about this one.... Better to think about it now, can only imagine if I start laughing about it during a test drive. Better bring a couple extra pairs of Depends!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #148
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Just thought of something, I've been looking at the new Stingray, and contemplating whether or not to trade-in my ZL1. First though I want to see it in as many color choices as possible. So far five colors and three different interiors. I've already ruled out Black and the Torch Red. Loved the Night Race Blue, Velocity Yellow, and the Crystal Red. Also for the interiors I love the Kalahari and the Red. Last must see color on my list is the Arctic White.

Anyway the comment I wanted to make is I just realized how I'm always laughing and making fun of the idea of putting a Four Banger in a muscle or sports car. And I just thought about the different modes in the Stingray, one specifically "E" as in Economy Mode. Say Whaaaat? Does that mean I'll be Driving a Four Banger because four cylinders shut down??? Have to think about this one.... Better to think about it now, can only imagine if I start laughing about it during a test drive. Better bring a couple extra pairs of Depends!

ECO mode is selectable and you don't have to use it, all it does is activates the AFM so you are running on 4 cylinder, remember even in ECO mode you still have over 225hp.

I say all the next gen Camaros, even the V6 models will have a form of this AFM...
http://www.dailytech.com/Corvette+St...ticle31921.htm
Old 11-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #149
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
ECO mode is selectable and you don't have to use it, all it does is activates the AFM so you are running on 4 cylinder, remember even in ECO mode you still have over 225hp.

I say all the next gen Camaros, even the V6 models will have a form of this AFM...
http://www.dailytech.com/Corvette+St...ticle31921.htm
Sorry, that was just a mindless attempt at humor...... Sure is a good concept, and the ability to get around 30 mpg's!

Old 11-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #150
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................

Wow....... Wow.............

my head hurts after reading the first page of this thread......

First: People are putting words in Al's mouth. Al has delivered amazing Camaros in this generation. Yet we have people who would disrespect him by misquoting him. That upsets me and it should upset you...........

Second: Let's assume for a minute that we DO offer a 4 cylinder Camaro. Do you suppose we're going to FORCE people to buy one?

If Ford wants to offer a 4 cylinder engine -- let them - the market will determine whether it's a wise and valid decision -- and the opinions of some on this site are just that - opinions with no facts to back up the declarations made.....

I personally think that it's disgraceful when people make remarks about our 6 cylinder owners -- and I see more of the same in this thread - perhaps I'm reading too much into it....perhaps.....perhaps not........

Some people imply - and others make a declaration -- that if you drive a 6 cylinder that somehow you are inferior. I suspect the same will happen if Ford decides to offer a 4 cylinder in the Mustang.......

I hate posting things like this - because it's divisive - and I hate when this community gets divisive.....but people - there are so many people jumping to conclusions in this (and other) threads, that my head wants to explode......

AGAIN - let Ford try offering a 4 cylinder engine - it may or may not sell...

.....but what you CANNOT ignore are the CAFE standards - which I will repeat: 54.6 MPG by mid 2020s...including LD Pickups and SUVs....

......for those of you who are carrying on about the 4 cylinder - how 'bout explaining how YOU would meet this standard if you were the CEO of Ford or GM..... (...and making political remarks gets you exactly nowhere......)

Lastly - who said that a 4 cylinder engine can't get you spectacular performance at some point in the future????

Now - let's get back to earth - shall we?

And stop misquoting Al Oppenheiser - he deserves much better....... Don't MAKE me send out the Black Suburbans.........

Last edited by fbodfather; 11-24-2013 at 10:32 PM.
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #151
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post

Wow....... Wow.............

my head hurts after reading the first page of this thread......

First: People are putting words in Al's mouth. Al has delivered amazing Camaros in this generation. Yet we have people who would disrespect him by misquoting him. That upsets me and it should upset you...........

Second: Let's assume for a minute that we DO offer a 4 cylinder Camaro. Do you suppose we're going to FORCE people to buy one?

If Ford wants to offer a 4 cylinder engine -- let them - the market will determine whether it's a wise and valid decision -- and the opinions of some on this site are just that - opinions with no facts to back up the declarations made.....

I personally think that it's disgraceful when people make remarks about our 6 cylinder owners -- and I see more of the same in this thread - perhaps I'm reading too much into it....perhaps.....perhaps not........

Some people imply - and others make a declaration -- that if you drive a 6 cylinder that somehow you are inferior. I suspect the same will happen if Ford decides to offer a 4 cylinder in the Mustang.......

I hate posting things like this - because it's divisive - and I hate when this community gets divisive.....but people - there are so many people jumping to conclusions in this (and other) threads, that my head wants to explode......

AGAIN - let Ford try offering a 4 cylinder engine - it may or may not sell...

.....but what you CANNOT ignore are the CAFE standards - which I will repeat: 54.6 MPG by mid 2020s...including LD Pickups and SUVs....

......for those of you who are carrying on about the 4 cylinder - how 'bout explaining how YOU would meet this standard if you were the CEO of Ford or GM..... (...and making political remarks gets you exactly nowhere......)

Lastly - who said that a 4 cylinder engine can't get you spectacular performance at some point in the future????

Now - let's get back to earth - shall we?

And stop misquoting Al Oppenheiser - he deserves much better....... Don't MAKE me send out the Black Suburbans.........

AMEN!
As usual you have said what needed to be said.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #152
Normagene

Isn't the point to get everybody's opinion? It's the inter web/net thing so facts are far and few. Some folks believe you can stick any engine in an American Muscle Car and some die hards believe anything less than a V-8 is insulting. I can't wait to see what a few of the European Supercar makers do with those electric assist motors, one on each wheel, and how much power/speed it can really put down. Porsche is suppose to have theirs out very soon, haven't seen the MPGs, but they say it's going to be the game changer. Crazy fast with phenomenal MPGs. Lots of new technology right around the corner.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #153
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
This argument is kind of pointless in and of itself... look at the 2.3L Ecoboost Ford engine, or the CLA45 AMG (single turbo I4 making 355hp). A superpowered I4 is easily doable. And it's not like it wouldn't do well (again, see SVO Mustang).
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #154
LSXaddict

Drives: 1ss in Blue Ray Metallic
1: I think the author grossly misinterpreted Al
2: If Ford does a 4cyl Turbo Mustang and Chevy fails to answer back then I think that will be GM giving up a huge market share out of sheer arrogance.
3: Some of you older V8 guys need to get off your couchs and go out and drive an Evo, STI, BMW 328I (F30), or a Mazda Speed 3 and see just how potent a well built 4cyl Turbo can be.
4: A lot of you will be upset if a 4 banger was introduced but I would place my money that you would be a whole lot more upset if the Camaro dissapeared all together simply because Chevy didn't want to adapt.

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 4 cylinder camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro forum, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 4 cylinder, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation, new camaro